1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dobbs doesn't have the "it" factor

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Dec 11, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I was just reviewing the game. He might have the athletics and even the intellect, but he's still a head down run kind of QB.

I don't see him ever reading defenses in the pocket going through progressions relying on his arm over his legs.

Tough thing to see as I have been pulling for him. I just don't think he has it to be able to perform at a high level in the NFL.

I don't see him as the answer at QB for this team going into the future. Maybe Rudolph. We'll see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After the game the analysis I heard was that Dobbs wasn't throwing guys open, Fichtner should've called more RPO's or run plays for Dobbs.

3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Cut him, bring back Landry

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dobbs doesn't have many things an NFL quarterback has to have. He lacks accuracy. He can hit open receivers, but he's not sharp enough to throw guys open or put the ball where only a covered receiver can catch it. He doesn't have the arm strength on sideline routes. At this point, he's not reading defenses well, either. The only thing he has is athleticism. That's not enough. Trusting him as the No. 2 quarterback is one of many terrible decisions that sank this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    "Landry Jones almost joined his third team of the 2018 season. The veteran backup quarterback who spent the preseason with the Pittsburgh Steelers and part of the regular season with the Jacksonville Jaguars worked out for the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, but was snubbed in favor of Josh Johnson, who has not thrown an NFL pass since 2011 or been on a roster since 2014."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Landry-Jones-Redskins-125888242/

Pretty bad when you can't beat out a guy that hasn't thrown an NFL pass in 7 years. Will have to pass there.

Dobbs will serve as a functional backup. I don't see him becoming anything more IMO.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah it looks like he lacks the vision. Need college-type plays with him. Unfortunately doesn't cut it in this league. He has good speed and running ability. Have to get creative with him in the offense.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Dobbs isn't a functional backup. The coaches clearly don't trust him and he sucked against an opponent with a terrible defense. The Raiders got very little pressure on him and they really couldn't cover all day. Dobbs just wasn't good enough to take advantage.

I've explained this before but some folks are just to stubborn to hear it. Jones had years of experience in this offense. He had working relationships and timing with most of the Steelers on offense. That is part of the value he would have had for the Steelers this year that he couldn't have brought to the Redskins.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ok. I disagree. I don't think Jones would have done much if any better than Dobbs. Dobbs provides at least a dual threat running and can throw accurate enough outside of the pocket down the field. Establish a running game, throw some misdirections/play actions, QB options, etc.. there are options. I don't think they called a good game with him that utilized his strengths.

I don't think we should ignore the fact that Jones is still available after a slew of injuries at QB for various teams. I'll have to pass there.

I'd be more inclined to see Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    87A4C5AD-FB6A-4047-9598-B1695DA07F1C.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But a QB that hasn't thrown a pass in 7 years offers more value than LJ to the Redskins. C'mon LJ sucks that's why he doesn't have a job.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    LJ is nowhere on the list of things that sank the Steelers. Ben missed 2 quarters of a game this whole season. If he had a HC smart enough to put him back in the game or knew how to use a TO other than wasting them on 9 failed challenges and counting. LJ would of seen as much action as Dobbs up this point,almost none. If Ben did get injured enough on Sunday to miss a couple games please don't tell me you think LJ would have lead us to victory over any of our remaining opponents. So tell me how was the decision to go with a younger QB who is ahead of where LJ was at this point in his career sank our team? In fact it would be more accurate to say that Dobbs throw against the Ravens has the possibility when all is said and done that it may have saved our season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    To be fair it is close to Christmas. He has to fly back to the North Pole after each game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Again he doesn't fit more than half of the offenses out there. Gruden runs a modified west coast offense. Jones has never been comfortable in anything other than shotgun and spread offense. He was barely comfortable taking snaps under center for the steelers and to throw the west coast offense at him on limited time left no way would a guy excel at that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to worry. The new football league will be starting up soon and there will probably be openings for both Laundry and Krapindork. :rolleyes: (and probably Dobbs too!)

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not in disagreement here.

Funny thing is Rudolph also is used to the 4/5 wide spread shotgun set. Hopefully he get comfortable in transition also.

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The weird thing is that the Steelers operate out of the shotgun most of the time, but they go to Dobbs (who's probably more comfortable out of the gun) and put him under center!

They totally changed up the protection scheme as well mid game and wondered why the timing was off!

He looked like he was a step off of those throws he was making. I wonder why when the receivers are running the same routes and the QB has to take the extra steps to set and throw...

Not saying he's the preferred backup, but they really didn't put him into a position to succeed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Surprise, surprise....

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've explained why Jones was more valuable to the Steelers than he would have been to any other team many times. Some of y'all are simply too stubborn to see reason on that one.

They couldn't run Sunday. They tried early and they tried again with Dobbs in there. They needed a quarterback capable of running the full playbook. Jones would have been able to do that. Dobbs was not. Sunday made it clear to me that the Steelers didn't keep Dobbs because they had faith in him as their No. 2 right now. That was a move for the future, sacrificing what was best for 2018. The same is true of the decision not to promise not to tag Bell. Well, they achieved their goal. They sacrificed the 2018 season. Those two decisions cost them a loss to the lowly Raiders that will likely keep the team out of the playoffs.

19. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Forget everything above....

Dobbs doesn't have the IT factor alright.

"IT" being an NFL arm.

He might throw it 70 yards but can't make a hard 25 yard throw frozen rope.

Think Kordell.

Stewart could throw 75 yards. Couldn't zip it in 25 yards to the chest.

It's all about arm angle release.

Fact

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

The It factor is not the arm. Chad Pennington did fine without one, and that is not one of Dobb's weaknesses. Kordell Stewart had a great arm (remember the 70 yard TD hail mary that got him drafted?)

The "It" factor is the natural ability to read defenses, adjust during, go through progressions, finding open receivers, and getting the ball their accurately to give the WR the best chance to make a play on the ball.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I agree Jones' best chance of playing well in the NFL is in the Steelers offense.

I disagree that he would have performed significantly if at all better than Josh Dobbs against the Raiders.

Take away the running game from Jones and he's going to play well? Sorry I'm not buying that one.

When the straightforward running isn't working, it's time to get creative. Dobbs provides that element at least.

You design the game around their strengths not force them into a style of play they don't thrive in.

Dobbs is still a better option than Landry Jones IMO, but I do not see him as the future franchise QB for this organization. I don't think he has what it takes to be a starter in this league. Hope I'm proved wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Arm strength isn't a one way street. Kordell Stewart has a cannon...but only throwing it deep.

A 25 yard deep out the ball would sail on him and not have the highest velocity.

Why? It's all about the angle and a smooth release.

Dobbs might throw it far...but a 25 yard crisp strike to the numbers he doesn't have the ability.

As far as YOUR version of the IT factor... .There is no ****ing way you can tell if he has it or not by such a short and limited time behind center.

If he had won that wouldn't mean **** either.

Limited time at QB in the NFL means nothing.

A throwing velocity doesn't change. He has what he has.

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dobbs made some great throws in preseason. He made a great throw vs. Ravens out of Steelers own end zone, in a hostile stadium. The Steelers offense was badly out-of-sync even when Ben was in there vs Raiders. Raiders defense was performing above the line. Until there's more tape on Dobbs... it's asinine to write him off.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yes I can make a prediction based on what I've seen already. As pointed out, you either have it or not. His issue has been his accuracy not his arm strength. So you're off base all over the place.

Many college QBs coming out of college that people herald end up becoming huge disappointments to their fans because people don't realize it is two different leagues.

Dobbs, in my opinion, will be one of these.

That's ok though, if he plays a functional backup role.

He's not the answer for starting QB in this league. My prediction.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The issue for Jones wasn't so much the running game as it was protection. He stinks when he doesn't have time. That wasn't an issue most of the game against the Raiders.

Most importantly, the Steelers showed in the past that they trusted Jones with the full playbook. They proved Sunday that they don't have that same faith in Dobbs.