1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PPG writer Cook says Tomlin sabatoged team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    he maimed this one on the head. Not playing ben when available and not calling timeouts to save time gave game to Raider. Heard Tomlin cry about negativity that will be coming this week. Wait til we get blasted next two games loser Tomlin. There should be for sale signs for whole staff after that debacle. All that was missing was Benny hill I six for that **** show today and don’t get me started on kicker sliding into home on the botched fg. He should already be gonzo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Is there not someone to yell in his headphones to call timeout? Or is everyone on the sideline afraid of him?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe call the timeout and speak to your defense

• Like Like x 1
  4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yea, just like there not someone in his headphones on when to throw or not throw the challenge flag. :facepalm:

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

My daughter watched the game with me and asked me what the headphones that Tomlin had on were for. lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Cook perfectly explained most of what Tomlin did wrong to cost the Steelers yesterday's game, but even he didn't cover it all. He left out not having the team prepared to start the game. Once again, the Steelers' defense didn't seem to show up in time for the opponent's first drive. Then there was the fiasco with the cleats. How do you not have that sorted out in pregame?

He absolutely should have used his time-outs on defense. There was absolutely no reason to trust the defense after the 39-yard completion set up the game-winning score. You can't let the Raiders both burn the clock and score, but that's exactly what the Steelers did.

This ignores ongoing issues that led into Sunday's failure, such as sticking by Boswell far too long and failing to instill a proper sense of urgency in the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Spotify......99c for 3 months.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

haha.. I like that. The headphones and aviator glasses make him look hip. At least he looks kinda cool on the sidelines.. The headset likely is nonworking kids toy lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with all of it but I think the Boswell situation may be tricky. Tomlin seemed pretty angry when someone brought up the kicking woes and possibly bringing in more kickers to tryout. Maybe he is getting orders from above to try and fix Boswell because of his contract. You never know. Your point about a sense of urgency is the most alarming. Isn't he supposed to be a master motivator of men?
    The message is old and is falling on deaf ears. Ben said everyone needs to look in the mirror....now?
    Decastro said the team is "sleepwalking ". With the playoffs on the line? It seems to me Tomlin has lost this team....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I could of sworn I saw Fisher Price on them somewhere....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Tomlin is always sleepwalking.

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I can't believe this but my son and daughter-in-law were watching the game with us and said the same thing, "does he ever use those headphones" If you notice he never seems to talk into them. I think he just listens to the other coaches and let's them do what they want to. Hence they do what they do.. :facepalm:

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    spooky how they all wondered the same thing. I have never ever seen him use them. Maybe they are fake like we discussed earlier lol.. just for looks

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe he is listening to L. Bells latest rap CD.

15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Our D is unspeakably bad

16. Terrible Towelie

Terrible Towelie Active Member

Oct 8, 2017
    i agree with all of it. its time for him and butler to go. weve had one of best rosters in the nfl for a while. yes we make it to the playoffs, but are owned by the patriots and have the bronco and jaguar collapses.

about a month ago it was said that butler at times has players playing out of position. so are we just awful at drafting defensive players? is burns and others just that bad or is our defensive gameplan generally awful and bound to fail?

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s really both.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Tomlin has not performed up to expectations for a while now, but I am not sure I get the vitriol about the timeouts at the end of the game. I assume if they used the timeouts, Oakland would have just run anyway. Tomlin has plenty of faults. I think not using the time outs in this particular instance isn't really one of them though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This is an interesting discussion, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this:

"he maimed this one on the head."

This is actually pretty deep with so many implications. :hmm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Tell her most coaches talk to other coaches.

Tomlin listens to his jams.

Then tell her he also manages the game time with a calender.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Oakland couldn't change its play-calling to waste time. The Raiders were down four, so they had to have a touchdown on that drive. Failing to use those time outs was a huge mistake, almost as bad as failing to use his quarterback most of the second half.

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok so here is the collection of answers for " Why does Tomlin" wear a headset

1/ They are not real. The headset is made by fisherprice so its more about fashion.
    2/ Most coaches talk to other coaches not tomlin
    3/ Listens to Spotify
    4/ Listening to LB jams
    5/ They match his aviator glasses

Feel free to add to the list lol

23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    To keep his ears warm.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    A typical reaction to a head coach not winning for those incapable of thought past their primitive emotions.

Who's to say Cook knows what the hell he's talking about?

Plenty of people out there saying things that don't make any sense.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when a new head coach comes in and the Steelers barely scratch 500.

Funny the discussion is about firing him with a 7-5-1 record. Not surprised.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Oakland had 1st-and-goal at the PIT7 at about 1:50, and we had two timeouts in hand. They were able to burn 40+ seconds of game clock before their next play. It was a run, and not calling TO let them burn another 40+ seconds before the next snap.

Say we call timeout after the big pass play...

First down, 1:50; they rush & we stop them, then we use our last TO.
    Second down, 1:40: they rush again & we stop them again, but we can’t stop the clock.
    Third down, 1:00: another rush & another stop, and the clock keeps running.
    Fourth down, 0:20: they score.
    Kickoff, 0:20: touchback, we get the ball at the PIT25.

I tried to make reasonable assumptions in our favor. Let me know if I got something wrong.

Using the timeouts perhaps would have had an influence on their playcalling.