1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin/ Rooney

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Yep, squeaking into the playoffs and then getting destroyed first game won’t cut it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Thats what I was going to say. If there was only a couple of wins, theres a much greater chance of him getting fired.

3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    My guess. Tomlin stays, Butler forced out. Possibly Colbert.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

If you believe this team is dripping with talent (I personally don't, but a lot of people apparently do), then getting rid of chief assessor and procurer of that talent would be insane.

5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Colbert isn't going anywhere. Tomlin would go before Colbert. I do believe Butler might be looking for a new job after the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Colberts job is safe as kittens. Some major players have been brought in under his watch. IMO, maybe Tomlins influence on draft picks is the culprit. The Colbert/Cowher connection seemed to do better than the Colbert/Tomlin one.

Actually, that would be worth digging into and listing those picks under each duo to compare.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Colbert/Cowher were much better drafting defensive talent. Obviously. Offense, though one could make a good argument for Colbert/Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What does 'better than even chance' mean? Are you referring to the Steelers?

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think this becomes much like the fire BA discussion some years ago. Which was how do you justify the firing when the results look so good. Just like then you have to evaluate his tenure on multiple categories instead of just winning percentage.

For me Tomlin comes up below average in player development, game planning, and really deciding what he wants his team to be. The time management isn't so big a deal for me beyond the lack of preparation it shows.

So just like BA if you look at results then no you can't justify firing him, if you grade out the categories he falls short in several key areas.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not your decision to make though :shrug:.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The simple answer to this is the Steelers are a far better organization than the Bengals. It is a silly comparison because the standard in Pittsburgh is far higher than it is in Cincinnati.

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe. If you recall in the Cowher/Donahoe saga, Cowher ended up winning even though Donahoe really wasn't that bad.

13. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Sadly, Tomlin isn't going anywhere until he decides to go somewhere. I believe that Tomlin has lost the team (has for a few years) and both parties need to move on at this point. While I think Tomlin needs to go, and wouldn't have been upset to have it happen now, I don't think now is the right time to do it. End of the season is the time for changes like this. I think Tomlin is one of the dumbest coaches in the NFL, but I also feel that he's earned the right to finish the season and see what happens.

Despite who is the coach, I will continue to always pull for the Black and Gold to win the day. That will NEVER change for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Donahoe had 2 first round whiffs... Jamain Stephens and Troy Edwards. Was Donohoe GM when they drafted Huey Richardson in '91? Donohoe's picks were mostly good except for those two years.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly, Donahoe was good and they still sided with Cowher so it's not impossible for history to repeat itself especially with this ownership.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats what I was thinking. I'll try and make a post at some point comparing. Ben is the biggest offensive piece under Colbert/Cowher but that one was Rooneys call. Cowher wanted a lineman. I believe he also like Rivers more than Ben.

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    According to playoff calculators I’ve seen, the Steelers have something like a 60% of making the playoffs heading into this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    We go 10-6 next year I'd be pretty excited. It would mean Ben is not as cooked as I think he is.

19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    How the hell Marvin Lewis is still the Coach is one of the most amazing feats in NFL history. I know only 2 Bengals fans and if they could they would shoot the guy. Maybe he comes cheap? Maybe he secretly is part owner? It really is something I cannot understand.

20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I can see us blowing it and missing the playoffs but no way can I see them getting rid of Tomlin. Even if we finish by losing 6 straight I just can't see it happening.

I don't get the Pittsburgh papers but I'd be curious to read the sports sections these pass few weeks. My family up that way tell me some of the small businesses have signs in their windows asking if anybody has seen the Pittsburgh Steelers:)

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Very interesting thought! I would think Tomlin is a players Coach. I have no idea but I feel he gives them way to much leeway.

22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I question the talent assertion also. Although last years pro bowl looked like a Steeler team. I believe on the offensive side when all are healthy and showing up instead of being a rap star the Steelers were above average but on the defensive side, "come on man":)

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

There are 64 different ways that Raven and Steeler remaining games can play out. The steelers finish ahead of Balt in 42 of the 64 scenarios (65%). If you figure difficulty of schedule, Pittsburgh chances drop to 57%. But at the moment , the odds still favor the Steelerswinning the AFCN. And given that the Ravens aren't exactly Lombardi's Packers, this seems reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't know about Tomlin "losing the team." I don't suspect that is the issue. I actually believe the players are fond of him. I think the issue is that he doesn't know how to manage which is what I would prefer he knew how to do over being adored!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats an excellent point and gives some hope that maybe a change will be made if he doesn't turn this around.

Miss the playoffs and I think it's very possible. If they don't let Tomlin go, I hope they at least find a real top notch DC.

• Agree Agree x 1