1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Lizard72, Apr 10, 2016.

1. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Hope the Pens have some focus and play a bit better tonight. The last game was pathetic. Letang being back will certainly help.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You got that right Fan. And what's with this losing at home and undefeated on the road? I know it's way early but not very rewarding nor encouraging for home fan base. Similar to the Steelers record in this regard. Hopefully home game record will improve over time for each team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Laid an egg against Leafs Saturday. HCMS worked their asses off today in practice. I have not been overly impressed with Murray this year, but he deserved better against the Isles Thursday. Sometimes a veteran core that's been there done that are a little hard starting. But, they have to begin playing consistently, like they did on the Canadian road trip last week. When they play the way Sullivan wants, they can beat anyone.

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I agree with what you are saying, but I think Murray needs sat down for a few games. He lust isn't playing well at all. The coach needs to fire some people up and maybe the game Wednesday against the Caps will help. The whole team seems to be just going through the motions and they need to shake it off and start playing like we know they can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens looked good last night. They need a winning streak of a few games to get things right.
    DeSmith is playing well.

6. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    They play New Jersey tonight. They lost to them 5-1 last time they played. They need some payback tonight. Just keep DeSmith in goal for at least a few more games.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    lost again lol. Pens are bad this year and they need some help.

8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    It's really early in the season and they have gone through this before. They might need some help and I think their GM will do something real soon if that is what they need. They won two of the last three Stanley Cups so they are far from being a bad team. Sometime you just need to have a little faith and let things work themselves out. Lets see how things look in January.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah for sure, i meant to say they are a bad team right now lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    We just acquired Tanner Pearson from the LA Kings for Hagelin. Pearson has had 40 and 44 points in the last two years, respectively, but only has 1 in 17 games this year. Hagelin only has had three points this year. Pearson is 26, Hagelin is 30. I like this deal a lot, as we need to strengthen up our Bottom six scoring. In the last 6 games we have had 6 even strength goals, Sid has been on the ice for all of them.

Good job, GMJR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens put Murrey on IR and it looks like he might be out for some time. They said he has had the injury for a couple of weeks. Maybe that explains why he has played so bad. DeSmith had a good game Wednesday so maybe the defense can rally around him and they can get out of the funk they have been in.

12. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens have 5 points out of a possible 6 over the last 3 games. That's a start if they are going to wake up and do anything at all this year. The next couple of weeks should be interesting.

13. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Now its 7 points out of a possible 8.

14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Until the Pens get a decent backup goalie to DeSmith the back to back games are going to kill them. Other than that the look pretty good, or at least better.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  15. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    They have played better, for the most part, over the last five or so games, but right now, I think their biggest problem is in goal. I like DeSmith, he is really good in scramble situations and rebound control. But, his single biggest issue is similar to Murray right now, and that is uncontested shots from five to fifteen feet out, circle to circle. He is either not picking up the puck quick enough, or his positioning is weak. Those are saves that should be relatively routine for NHL caliber goal tenders, and the Pens are not getting those stops consistently, last night was a perfect example. One save, on the first goal by Konechne, could have made the difference in that game. Geroux's was a one timer from a bad angle, and Weist made a nice move.

With all their defensemen healthy, they are a solid group, but really thin if someone is hurt. They will improve dramatically when Schultz is healthy, however, that won't be until February. Ruhwedel, well God Bless him he plays hard, but he is a seventh or eight defensemen on most NHL teams. beyond that, there isn't much. I've given up all hope that Letang makes smart decisions on every shift, every play. All his God given talent aside, he really does some head scratching, and at times, downright stupid things. He is always looking to make offensive plays, even in his own end when many times the simple dump out of the defensive zone is the right play.

I like the Hagelin for Pearson trade. Hagelin, although a playoff warrior, is meh in the regular season, but he is a fine penalty killer. Pearson is an all around better offensive threat, he has a great wrist shot and good offensive instincts. Kessel is really not playing well, and I wonder if he is hurt, and doesn't want to sit because of his iron man streak. Crosby is as good as he has ever been. Not a big fan of Simon on Crosby's line. He isn't a good enough finisher. He doesn't have to be Mike Bossy, but they need more out of him. They also need more secondary scoring like they got in the win against the Jets, when ZAR, Sheahan and Wilson scored.

I'm not really concerned right now. If they were playing like this the third week of February, then yes, it's time to panic. Not now, though. GMJR and the boys are still evaluating strengths and weaknesses for future moves.

16. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Decent game last night. Pens scored 3 goals in the first period, gave up 3 in the second and then scored 3 in the third. DeSmith only allowed 3 goals on 43 shots. Not bad. He needs to keep that level up as a minimum and they should be able to win some games. The season is only 1/3 over so there is still time for the Pens to show some life and make it to the playoffs.
    If they can get in the playoffs they can be dangerous.

17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens need o take care of business tonight and beat New York. They need to string together some wins to move up in the playoff standings.

18. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Good game last night. Need to keep it up on Saturday.

19. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens get 1 point on Saturday and 2 last night and played pretty good in both games.
    DeSmith is playing good in goal. It's still early in the season and the Pens are not that
    many points out of a playoff spot if the season ended today. They just need to follow
    their normal pattern and keep getting better as the season progresses.

20. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Glad Murray is back. Pens have back to back games Friday and Saturday and I wasn't looking forward to Jary being in goal in one of those tow games. Hopefully Murray comes back strong.

21. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    DeSmith had one of his worse games Wednesday and gave up 6 goals of which 2 were empty net goals. So he really gave up 4 goals on only about 25 attempts which is not a winning formula. Maybe he is looking over his shoulder now that Murray is ready to return.
    Murray needs to be good when he takes over.

22. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens had a great game last night and won 5-3. DeSmith was on top of his game with allowing only 3 goals on 51 shots. Murray should be in goal tonight. It will be interesting to see how he looks after his layoff.
    The Pens are cranking it up and are close to being positioned to be in the playoffs if they started now. I am not giving up hope on winning my 1,000 bet at 12-1 on them winning the Stanley Cup.
    Long way to go but they are playing much better.

23. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Any word on Letang injury ? I guess we might learn a bit more tonight

24. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Good game last night. Pens won 4-3 in overtime. Murray looked good and made some nice stops especially in overtime. They are improving but still have a ways to go to be serious Stanley Cup contenders.

25. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The win last night(2-1) was the best game I've seen from the Pens so far this season.
    They beat the Caps in Washington and ended the Caps 5 game win streak.
    Murray had an excellent game and looked like he was ready to play the way he has in the past.
    The Pens are only 5 games behind the Caps for the lead in their division after having a rough start to the year.
    I loved watching Ovie melt down as the game finished. Pens ended his streak of scoring in consecutive games
    Another game tonight with DeSmith in goal. If they can win tonight they pickup 4 points in 2 days.

• Agree Agree x 1