1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We are light years away from a Super Bowl !!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Unless things change drastically Steelers will are and will be just an ordinary franchise. I’m tired of hearing about the Steeler way. It’s old it’s outdated and it’s not working. First of all someone needs to be in charge. No one even knows is it HC is it Rooney or the GM? Who knows ? That’s a problem. It use to be that every year I thought we had a shot at the SB lately I just hoped we would get into the dance. That’s not the Steeler way. And what’s worse is everyone is getting better and we are getting worse. Anfd just for laughs we hardly have any cap money to help get some players. Sorry for the ramble

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    One thing about the Steeler Way I think needs to be looked at is the bargain free agents. That is great when you already have a good team, but our defense needed some real difference makers this offseason.

Kevin Colbert is reaping what he sowed.

3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Not really.. Just a head coach away

4. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018

5. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    It’s more then just the head coach I’m afraid the D is horrible and special teams is worse then that. We have no cap space for decent players and there are a lot of teams that are on the upswing to contend with. Chiefs, Ravens , Chargers , Colts (have 100 million in cap space), Raiders 4 first round picks, and Browns when they get Macarthy

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers have a chance as long as they can make the playoffs. The people who doubt haven't payed attention over the years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    SB seven games away possibly. Team will have to bring Tomlin along for the ride.

8. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This team is done. Only gonna get worse. We should have had 2 more SB wins with Ben.
    I’m sick to my stomach watching these clowns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I’m confused,what team have you been paying attention to the last 10 years

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Be honest, we are loaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball. Enough to easily overcome the defensive deficiencies. All you have to do is look at the drive when Ben came back in and they were all focused on getting the lead back. They operated like a stick of dynamite with a very short fuse and just went off immediately.

This defense however is a joke on the back end and we have a coach who can't even understand it so much so that he continually chooses to put them on the field first and therefore the team plays from behind.

If you as a coach are going to willingly put this team in that situation you better damn sure know how to manage the game using both the challenges you're given and game clock to near perfection and Mike is the absolute worst coach in the league at both.

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Just hit Brady, early and often.

12. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Play pissed off for 60 minutes when the smoke settles well be victorious Go Steelers!!!

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Assuming Keith Butler is around next season and beyond, the OP's is correct metaphorically speaking.

If they bring in either Kris Richard or even Todd for the 2019 Season, that would change the outlook of this defense entirely....

.... That and acquiring either a high priced Free Agent corner and the linebacking option in the draft or vise versa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Steelers are not light years away. They were right in the mix for homefield advantage. They are a sloppy football team. Sloppy teams lose games they should win. There is no doubt in my mind that this team is under-performing do to lack of discipline and poor game management. There is enough talent here to make one more run next year, but there has to be a new coaching regime in place. No way this team gets #7 with Tomlin at the helm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is sad, we have 2 multi generational talents at wide receiver
    and a qb with 15 years experience and may not make the playoffs?

This is a sad day for a great franchise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think the Steelers have the talent on offense, and like a lot of smarter than me people on here have said, losing Shazier, who was looking like he could be a HOFer, set the defense back. Steelers, with the right coach and DC, and if Ben stays 2 more years and they improve under Fitchner, Steelers could win another Lombardi. But need a coach who doesn’t “just do what we do” and gets out coached every week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    10-4

He got #6 on Cowhers coat tail...

It's all his baby now and has been for years. Even in the AFC title game year we are not as close as you might think.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm one of the few people here who is not surprised by any of this. I knew the Raider game was gonna be tough to win, regardless of the Raiders record. Raiders were outmatched talent-wise, but played with heart and fire... something the Steelers don't do very often anymore.

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    And yes, I don't see the Steelers competing with any of the AFC playoff teams at this point.

Chiefs will destroy them.
    Patriots.. see Sunday.
    Texans... much better team than the Steelers at this point.
    Chargers... Keenan Allen, rinse and repeat.
    Colts, Dolphins, Titans... will have their 1st string QBs available, so it won't be like previous years... facing scrub QBs.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Not arguing... But...

When the hell was the last time we drafted realky good linebackers? I don't know if Tomlin is making those decisions and Given how everything else he does is dumb...wouldnt surprise me.

Look at the two Cowboys inside backers today. Both of whom we could have drafted. Esch and Jaylon are the reason for the Cowboys turnaround this year. They are playmakers swarming every play.

Shazier was OK but really light to be playing inside backer in a 3-4 scheme.

Think back to the 90's. Good lord we couldn't miss drafting linebackers or acquiring them.

So the question is this...

Is the drafting ****ty or is the position coaching ****ty.

Matekavich is a high energy psycho player. Chickillo is showing great signs of serious potential.

The coaching IMO is doing a total disservice. Joey Porter? Giving the homer a job might be the ultimate problen with our LB play.

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    This team has not been Super Bowl caliber for years... since 2015 to be exact. I think 2014 and 2015 seasons were a good window for the Super Bowl. Injuries to Bell and AB derailed those seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    2014 was. I disagree about 2015. We beat denver and then we get blown up in Fox, Patriots win their 6th. Glad we lost looking back now

23. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Bell has always been an empty jersey come playoffs.

Which is exactly why his financial line in the sand is so childish.

If he helped the Steelers win a title or two...then yes i agree he should get rewarded. He put them over the top.

Reality is when it's money time and we needed him...good old injury bug comes calling.

While unfortunate its still a fact he's not helping.

AB is a brat. Does more harm than good and damn Ben for allowing his ball baby ass to affect himself

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I can't believe I'm going to do it, but I'm actually going to defend MT on that one. It's actually a wise move, if we had a D that could rise the occasion right out of the gate. We lead the league in scoring in the final 2 minutes of the 1st half. So why not build on that by ensuring you also have the ball first in the 2nd half? Quite a smart move, actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    2015... Ben wasn't 100% vs. Broncos. Had the Steelers had Bell and AB with healthy Ben... that team would have done better vs. Patriots in Foxborough than the 2016 team did. Win? Probably not... but it wouldn't have been a blowout.

Steelers are the Houston Oilers of the late 70's/early 80's. Good team that can't get over the top.

• Like Like x 1