1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If our offensive line is so good...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Why did they average only 2.1 yards per rushing attempt against a putrid Raiders Team?

Pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our guys struggle vs big D lines run blocking. Only way we do well is if Ben is throwing for 500 yards first half lol

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup. 19 carries for 40 yds with 15 coming on the Dobbs scramble .

4. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Our running backs suck that’s why

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers are a better pass blocking line than they are a run blocking line.

That said, we have no RB. Knew people were expecting too much from Samuels.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd add in that despite all the penalties the Raiders defense was playing solid fundamental football and communicating well.

I thought Samuels was very unsure about allowing the blocking to happen and was looking for cutbacks instead of following the blocks. On one pitch out he was slow to turn up field with good blocking and the pursuit caught him.

7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Because it was basically a preseason game for the RBs.
    They haven’t had the workload to get any timing down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    We are on our RB3 and RB4 now, can't expect them to play at an RB1/2 level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    We've been pretty lucky as far as injuries this year, but the Conner one came at a bad time. I think he would have torn this team up, but we'll never know.

10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Whats scary for the Cheats game is Belicheat knows we can't run now between the tackles now so he is going to double team both AB and JuJu and dare us to run. Our tight ends have to come thru big time time in this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If Conner is still out, the Steelers have no shot Sunday. They didn't have much of one with him, but they are not beating the Patriots with no running back. They are too well-coached to be that one-dimensional against them and get away with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Even if Conner plays which I doubt, he won't be at 100%. Agree that they are too well coached to be that one-dimensional against them

13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
  14. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I stopped paying serious attention when he characterized Foster's block that was called for holding against the Chargers as a 'bear hug." It wasn't even close to that. His left hand got too high on the shoulder pad, but it wasn't a hold. It certainly wasn't a hug.

Samuels was not good Sunday. Time after time, he was slow to the hole. The team certainly doesn't run enough, but Conner was on his way to the Pro Bowl running behind that line. The lack of commitment to the run is absolutely an issue, but to suggest that Sunday's problem wasn't at least part Samuels is ridiculous. It is also worth noting that many of those runs came with Dobbs at quarterback and the Raiders clearly didn't see him as much of a threat as a passer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Agree 100%. As a running back you have to make people miss. He was only able to do so on passes in open space. He is nowhere near Conner who is nowhere near Bell.

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've been saying this all season. You got Ben throwing the ball in the redzone from the 3yd line. Because, the oline can't get a push

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Maybe you should have read on. How in hell is Samuels going to do anything when he's getting hit by 2 or 3 guys three yards deep in the backfield. Foster had his hands on the outside of the guys shoulder pads clearly viewed in the video and completely unnecessary. He was not going to make that play on Samuels and that will get called every single time. That line devoured our O line the whole game. Read the article and try to pick up on what the guy says about failed double teams and other holding calls that killed us. Samuels is not Connor. Did you even read about the decline in the running game the last 3 games? The steelers have abandoned it for whatever reason you care to name. Watch the video of the game and look at the o line looking in the backfield after getting beaten by a bunch of guys no one ever heard of. There are reasons we are struggling that go to the coaching of this uint. The O line is now having problems and aging. We have not really addressed that as we desperately keep using number one picks on defense like Edmunds? But ok it was all on Samuels and Ridely.

19. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder. Nowhere did I say Samuels didn't play a part in that. watch the video. There were no holes for the vast majority of attempts. none. There were three tackles by the Raiders for losses and 4 more hits behind the line of scrimmage. So I'm done with this topic. But our O line is getting handled lately whether it's scheme or the injuries. It's going to be a concern going forward. But if you believe they are the best in the league they probably don't need an all pro running back to at least get yards. We'll see how it goes

20. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Why? Backup running back so they aborted a lot of effort (play calling) with the run. Then when Dobbs came in he displayed he can't throw whatsoever so the Raiders brought a ninth guy up.

Hence the screen passes

21. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Samuels ran like he was stuck in molasses. By the time he got to the line, any sort of hole to run through was closed. If he even made it to the line. I don’t know if he was trying to be Bell or what but it wasn’t working.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Part of the reason Samuels was running into traffic is because he lacks explosion. He wasn't getting to the openings quickly enough.

I read the rest of it. He clearly wanted to sell a certain point of view and ignore the team's lack of a viable back with Conner out.

23. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I have said it in other posts but I'll offer my 2 cents worth again . I think our Oline is great at pass blocking and average to good in run blocking. They are not the road grader type that move the line with shear force, they are best when in motion with DD pulling.

Maybe its time to give Finney some snaps at left guard to spell Foster and to see what he is capable of for next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    It's a tad more in depth than that.

Le'Veon Bell...and piss on him BTW...but he ran the ball in a way that was really good at maximizing the zone blocking.

He's out, enter Connor. A straight ahead hit the hole hard at full speed runner. He would benefit much more with a line more apt in drive blocking.

Let's not forget though...Connor has put up some damn nice numbers so early in his tenure.

He'll be fine as will the line. They just need more chemistry together (Connor and line)

25. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    ok well we will simply disagree