1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Answer this question for me for all you Tomlin haters.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dominilate, Dec 9, 2018.

1. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    My question is for you is, for those of you who want Tomlin fired give me a coach you would want in his place BUT put that coach in place with our 3 coordinators Butler, Smith and Fitchner especially Smith and Butler because of the years they've been here. Now tell me do you honestly believe there's a coach who would have a better record than Tomlin? And if you don't believe so then aren't you saying that we need new coordinators especially special teams and defense?
    If you believe just a new coach would make the difference then please explain who and how with these coordinators our wins and losses would be different (i.e. scheme, talent evaluation, consistency, discipline etc)[/QUOTE]

Well you can’t just cut/paste the head coaching position. Tomlin is responsible for his staff and the team’s approach. A new coach will bring in mostly his guys.

I listened to a Podcast with Joe Banner when Philadelphia was going through a hiring process and landed Andy Reid. Some common characteristics they looked for that “Super” coaches had in common (Lombardi, Gibbs, Parcels, Bilicheck,etc) was.

1. Obsessed with Attention to detail so much that it drove everyone else nuts, both football and personal life.

2. Be able to Identify great supporting coaching staff and teach them.

3. Have a philosophy/vision that no player, owner, media let them deviate from. It didn’t matter if their philosophy was offense or defense-and they didn’t fly by the seat of their pants in their decisions.

4. Cut/release/trade-players when they reach Bill Walsh’s “Bell Curve”. When their value was not worth their contract no matter the bond or relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Tomlin was a defensive backs coach and that is the weakest part of this team and always has been that should tell you all you need to know.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Ding ding ding ding.

[​IMG] upload_2018-12-10_0-23-8.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have watched Tomlin coached team for 12 years. Unprepared, not organized, not
    disciplined, no time management, Poor fundamentals. Player development. I am tired of this
    I want to see a well run machine.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    If you listen to all the sport announcers and pundits out there, they are always saying what a great coach Tomlin is. What are we missing here?

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Munch is the name make it happen right now. I don't want to hear about his record in Tenn. he is a good coach and give him this team and let's see what he can do. Also Munch is a guy who could come in with the 3 coordinators like you said without missing a beat. The one thing I know is since MT has been here he has fought the defensive scheme with LeBeau and yes now Butler which learned from DL. Another name that is not getting any attention by any team is Vic Fangio, mark my words this guy will be a good coach. We have tons of talent on offense time to get a defensive coach.

For the record I am not a Tomlin hater I am a sore loser and when we have a coach that can't win the games that we should year after year it is time to move on..........

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Munch is not the answer. I like him, but he’s been around and part of this mess to long to command the respect needed from guys like Ben.
    We need a new younger guy with some passion ,some discipline and accountability.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been wondering the same thing for a long time .I just don't get it.

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

They are all a bunch of PC snowflakes..

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This for sure ..This team has/had some of the best talents in the league over Tomlins tenure and nothing to show for it .Makes you wonder if A lot of these players would have been better off in other organizations ?

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Take a look at what happened in Green Bay. McCarthy who I feel is a solid coach got ousted because of Rogers. Ben holds a lot of juice and Tomlin is perfect for him allowing the throw and throw more mentality. I want a total house cleaning, a coach to come in with their own staff. Enough of this retaining crap. I feel the issue is Rooney. So we will see the same next season. Hopefully Butler and Porter are gone. Need a strong voice as our defensive coordinator.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know if Munch is a good head coach candidate or not. It's impossible to say without being in that building. What I do know is that if the Rooney's decide that he is their guy, then Ben and everyone else need to get with the program or they can all sit on the bench/retire. Until such time as a coach is replaced, they are the boss and the players need to do what they're told, that includes Tomlin.

As for Munch, the fact that other teams don't seem interested in him does make me wonder if he would in fact be over his head in another head coaching gig. Perhaps there's something the NFL knows that we don't, such as Munch is better suited for an assistant job.

13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I agree with your statement abt Rooney, If his dad was still alive and Running the Steelers alot of these problems would have been fixed by now..

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Munch is the answer to the question that was asked right here. There is nobody right now that could come in and fix things with the coordinators we have. jmo

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    2 reasons:

1) They are looking at MT's stellar regular-season record.
    2) No announcer... well, hardly any... is going to say "But he sucks in post season, his team has no discipline, plays down to opponents, etc". They can't risk turning off either fan base for any particular game.

16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Win/loss record losses its luster when you consider the fact that we have a HOF QB , HOF WR, and in the past few years a HOF RB to go along with solid talent around them. Sure we've had some short comings from our secondary and LB's but the stats actually say those units were not as bad as we make them out to be. While i agree watching our defense can be tough to watch, the funny thing is that crap is still better than most of the defensive units around the league. Which tells you the state of the NFL.

I judge a coach on what he does vs expectations. This goes for any leader actually. It all starts at the top. I've worked in organizations my self where the 1 person at top can make all of the difference in the world - good or bad. This team is a reflection of Mike Tomlin - period. How many coordinators do we need to change before you accept that? He needs to be fired because he's once again falling below expectations. This team has the talent to be a playoff/superbowl contender as long as Ben is here. The difference between a bad team and a SB team is often 1 or 2 wins... Tomlin consistently costs us 1 or 2 wins a year w/ his mistakes and lack of preparation. There's zero excuse for this ST's unit. There's zero excuse for the sloppy play year after year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don’t have a specific coach to replace him. Why I do know is that we have a top 10 offense, a top 10 defense, and we still are in danger of missing the playoffs due to coaching. Let’s take a look at why...

- we are a terrible first quarter team (indicative of getting out coached Monday thru Saturday), and a terrible fourth quarter team (indicative of getting out coached on game day)

- we have strange game plans (not running against SD and costing us the game, taking the air out of the ball against Cleveland in the opener costing us the game)

- terrible clock management. This is a weekly occurrence (almost costing us the game against Cincy, almost costing us a shot to tie against Oakland, etc.) not just oh we lost a few senconds too, they are egregious clock mistakes. Also Tomlin hasn’t won a challenge in what feels like years.

- not having good answers for his actions. Not being able to explain why you didn’t use your timeout in Oakland, or why you sat your QB despite being medically cleared. We’re running out of cliches.

- consistent no shows by our teams against poor competition

At the end of the day this team is better than last years team (a team that went 13-3), yet will likely have to beat either NE or NO to make the playoffs. This team has underperformed all year (really since the Jacksonville game last year) and it rests on the coaching. The head coach needs to be accountable for this. I know we usually don’t overreact as a franchise, but Mike Tomlin is standing in the way of this team winning games. If we miss the playoffs this year, he has to go. Just has to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    He’s the only position coach we have that has taken lesser talent and turned them into a good unit. The players respond to him. They like and respect him. I don’t think they respect Tomlin. They are buddies with him. There’s no discipline whatsoever and the product on the field shows this to be true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Good post and my sentiments as well. I just want to add that there are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs available. I believe that out of the rest of the population in the world, the Steelers can do better than MT. Yes they could do worse, but certainly there is someone better out there.

20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They're trolling the steelers fans, they know peoples heads are exploding when they say anything positive about that useless garbage.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

At this point I don't think its overly important who they choose or what changes are made... Sometimes change just shakes up an organization enough to get the desired result. Sometimes it makes no difference at all. At this point it would be a gamble of course because of the unknowns. Change is indeed in order . Is it MT ? Yes undoubtedly. We can talk about the personnel and execution all day and even position coaching. If we agree that the team lives and dies by the coach then Tomlin is responsible and accountable for all of those coaches as well.

I have been supporting Tomlin all along but he has lost me and it appears as though he has lost the team. I wont support him being in Pittsburgh any longer. Losing to the Raiders was the final straw. Not calling a timeout with 1:45 left in game and it appears Raiders are going to get a quick td is assinine. Letting Boz go week after week missing extra points and field goals and finally not putting Ben in the game when clearly his ribs were fine. Ebb and flow my a ss

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of it was man with safety help. That was what they were in on the big pass to Cook on the opening drive, with Fort trying to stay with him. He actually did a decent job, but couldn't make the play when the ball arrived and Davis got there late.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    93.7 the fan is reporting that Ben wanted to get back in the game sooner, but Tomlin said no

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be clear, I don't think the Steelers will fire Tomlin. I'm just saying I think they should.

A more reasonable take would be to expect ownership to force him to make major changes to his coaching staff. That means firing Butler and Smith at the very least.

The front office deserves its share of blame for this mess, too. They traded Bryant on draft day without having a replacement in mind. For all the talk of another drug suspension, it didn't happen. He faltered with the Raiders, but so did many others this season, so I don't take that very seriously. Cooper stunk for Oakland, then turned back into a stud after the trade to Dallas.

The Bell situation was mishandled by everybody. At the very least, they should have guaranteed they would not tag him so he could be with the team the final six games. Even at less than 100 percent, he would have made a big difference yesterday. If they weren't going to sign Bell, they should have had a competent back to team with Conner. They did not.

Going bargain-hunting at safety also did not work. Burnett has been hurt most of the season and he sucked yesterday.

I assume the front office was part of the decision to cut Landry Jones and keep Dobbs as the No. 2. That was proven to be an error yesterday. He was terrible and I saw nothing that makes me think he can start at this level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's what I assumed happened. I heard speculation this morning on national shows that Roethlisberger might have kept himself out, but it sure looked to me like he was ready to go when he came back on the field. That screw-up was all on Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 2