1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Answer this question for me for all you Tomlin haters.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dominilate, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I've been one of the guys defending Mike Tomlin, but I'm done after today. Once again, his team was not prepared at the start of a game against one of the worst teams in the NFL. Hell, they didn't even have the right cleats. That is a ridiculous mistake to make.

The Steelers then failed to tie the game in the second quarter because Tomlin has stubbornly stuck with Chris Boswell this season. He should have been replaced weeks ago. He has been terrible this season. He now has six missed field goals and five missed extra points. With last year's Boswell, at the very least, they win that overtime game against the Browns and win today, but he clearly isn't that player any more and Tomlin refuses to see it.

That said, the Steelers were in good shape at halftime thanks to Smith-Schuster's amazing catch. They had the lead and they were getting the ball first. Then, even though it later became clear that Roethlisberger was able to play through the rib injury, Tomlin decided to risk the entire season on Josh Dobbs. Even if they had won, it was a horrible gamble by Tomlin. It goes back to the decision I criticized in training camp, choosing to go without a reliable veteran quarterback. Now the Steelers found themselves with no running game due to Conner's injury and a quarterback who clearly wasn't capable of playing on this level. And let's be clear. Dobbs was awful. Smith-Schuster made one great catch for him, but he missed on quite a few throws, got lucky on what should have been a fumble and threw one interception. The Steelers basically gave away every drive with him at quarterback.

The defense clearly isn't good enough to deserve that kind of faith. The utter collapse on the last two drives proved as much.

That Roethlisberger was able to play the final two possessions proves he could have played most of the second half. Once he returned to the field, he should have been playing. Those of you who think this team should be moving on from Roethlisberger really need to take a good look at what happened today. The Steelers were a mess without him.

Tomlin gave away today's game. There is no other way to look at it. He hurt this team by sticking with Boswell all season. His team has blown three consecutive games with sloppy play. The clocking is ticking on Roethlisberger's career and Tomlin wasted this season. There is no way this team will make the playoffs. The Steelers will lose five in a row to miss the playoffs after having been 7-2-1. That is a disgrace of a collapse and it isn't even the first time Tomlin has had that happen.

I'm done defending the guy. It's time for him to go.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nope. Tomlin’s playing Uno, and just played the reverse direction card on our season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    7C14FCC0-E5FC-4520-A03E-D7CBBD9D17A9.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Snakes and ladders seem more appropriate. Every time we see progress, we end sliding all the way back down and then some.

5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't blame Tomlin...although he is not blameless either. I do think its time for Butler to go....and I have said as much since the season started.

In my opinion part of the problem is "The Steeler Way"

People around here hold onto that like its the Gospel. Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert both said as much as the trade deadline approached. "we like our own players. We like to develop them. We have time and energy invested"

Could they have gotten Patrick Peterson...probably not....but they took themselves out of the conversation before they could be told no.

By their own admission They don't try to win the Super Bowl every year...they try to stay competitive every year so they have a chance to win the Super Bowl. Those really are not the same things. The Pats have the most Super Bowls the last 2 decades...and they do it with rent-a-players more often than not. Not that I think its the best way to build a team...but to simply not try and get the best players in the building because you kind a like your own guys is beyond arrogant.

The Chiefs just signed Kelvin Benjamin....The Chiefs were already one of the best offenses in the league. Maybe Benjamin helps, maybe he doesn't.....But I commend them for trying to make the roster better. You mention anything like that around the Steelers and you get ...NO GOOD...DONT WANT HIM.....or if its a Peterson....Cant AFFORD HIM....DONT WANT HIM.

I like stability. But you should not choose to stay stable at the cost of improvement.

I think the Steelers stay to calm....to much we do what we do.....to much there is plenty of time for us to turn it around...either in a game or in the season......They don't get up with the highs...or down with the lows.......and I think they should. The Steelers with the LEAD is one of their biggest enemies. When they are down by 21....the play with urgency. When they are up...you saw it today...Maybe we can just hang on with Dobbs and put the game on the defense. You do that...and you loose.......Especially with this defense....its all smoke and mirrors. 3 game losing streak...Steelers were ahead or tied in all 3 games......4th Q points.... Steelers 14 Bad Guys 39

I think they need to adapt the Steeler way. Punch teams in the throat and keep punching them until the final whistle blows. Play with urgency. They said the playoffs started today...they might be right...and they might not be in them anymore. And then this offseason....you Trade for a Bettis. (Jalen Ramsey, Patrick Peterson?) You trade for a Polamalu (1st, 3rd, and 5th) You pick 2 game changers and you go get them.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Tomlin: 'We didn't make enough plays to win"

7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2018-12-9_22-43-47.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes a lot of sense. I don't agree on every point, but the Steelers do need to play things more aggressively this offseason and I think that starts with firing Tomlin and Butler.

They desperately need another cornerback. Haden has not played well during the losing streak. Nobody on that team can cover a tight end. They had three defenders near the guy who caught the game-winning touchdown, but none of them came out of the end zone to get him. That kind of sloppiness with the game on the line is inexcusable.

The Steelers also need a running back to pair with Conner. Samuels showed today he is a third-down back, not a runner. It's what he has always been. They also need a third receiver.

This team has had some awful luck this season. Their Pro Bowl kicker suddenly forgot how to do his job. Their star running back, one of the best in the league, held out all season. They have had fluky stuff happen to them down the stretch, too.

That said, much of the damage was self-inflicted. Supposedly, all they had to do to get Bell to play the final six weeks was promise not to tag him again. With no viable back up to Conner, that is absolutely what they should have done. Having no viable runner was a big part of the loss today.

Going with two young quarterbacks who were not ready behind Roethlisberger was also a mistake. Dobbs finally proved me right on that one today. He had a couple of nice runs, but otherwise, he was terrible. Tomlin got caught up in the athleticism and it cost him dearly today.

The decision to sit Roethlisberger most of the second half today was the final self-inflicted wound. The Patriots and Saints will deliver the final blows over the next two weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't know a lot about football but I do know that you don't cover Wide Receivers with a LINEBACKER! Why do we do this?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yes sir, pack it up folks see ya next season.

Oh and wonderful Xmas present to us all this losing streak lol.

Cowboys keep winning too, sweet!

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If I'm not mistaken it was a Lebeau invention (maybe not entirely). His belief if you constantly put enough pressure on offenses you don't need great coverage. But it doesn't work in today's NFL.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
  14. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    We tip our bread to them. I don't want to baste with a broad brush.

15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I appreciate your honest opinion.

That being said, I don't give a crap about Tomlin's regular-season record. Where has that gotten us lately?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. quark12000

quark12000 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Keep Tomlin, lose Butler.

• Disagree x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic x 1
  17. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Things have just gotten stale with Mike Tomlin. He’s had his chances, but has grossly underachieved. Is it all his fault? No, but as the team leader, the buck stops with him.

Time for a culture change. Time for someone else to try. Time for a new defensive scheme. Time for someone to not to keep playing to the level of the competition. If anyone can’t see the woeful pattern of losing to teams we should destroy, then see an optometrist.

Fire Mike Tomlin Immediately
    Fire Keith Butler Immediately
    Release Chris Boswell Immediately

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'll never understand why 'no losing seasons' is such a great feat when its attached to such a disappointing playoff record.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'd have to look back at the replays (not going to) - but I'm guessing it was a lot of zone that resulted in a LB covering a WR. Was pointed out by Spielman on the commentary.

I've said it before - this D is HORRIBLE at zone.

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't know who should, go, stay, come aboard, whatever. What I do know is that something obviously needs to change and it appears nothing ever does. I don't think Tomlin is capable of taking this team any further and his staff is not helping him out either. Tomlin has had a good run as the HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers but now we are in need of new talent to move on to the next level. This should be up to people who need to earn what they are being paid and be accountable for their decisions. This isn't a thought that was created due to a loss today. This is a feeling that has been building over years of under performing. Green Bay took the right step in correcting their situation and the next game they played was a win against a team who had more wins than the team we lost to today.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just don’t like our defense. And I’m talking about players, not coaching. Every time I look at the Ravens front seven they look twice the size and twice as mean.

22. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Fletch

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Here's a scenario. If I say if you hire coach A you will have 10 playoff filled years with 1 SB loss. Hire coach B and you will have only 3 playoff years but 2 SB wins. This is purely fantasy but what do you choose?

24. TOMSTEEL88

TOMSTEEL88 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't hate Tomlim. He is a average head coach that has no discipline. You ever wonder with the talent on this team what a Bill Cowher would have done . Ben would have 4 Lombardis instead of 2. Bradshaw nailed it ..... Tomlin is a cheerleading coach

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Bradshaw isn't always the sharpest tool in the shed but he's pretty on target with that assessment.