1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Explain???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Nj43, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why on earth did 7 not play after he came out of locker room. If he’s healthy enough to be on sidelines and then CAME BACK INTO GAME after we lost lead, WHY THE HELL did we forfeit like the entire second half ???? This is un believable!!!

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree, he saw the team struggling with Dobbs. Ben needed to get his ass in there sooner, stop being a freaking drama queen :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
  4. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    exactly I'm sure Tomlin will come up with something. He sure looked good when he came in.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He was probably waiting for whatever shot they gave him to kick in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    That's what I'd like an answer to. Was he held out by Tomlin hoping Dobbs and the defense could do enough to win the game without him? Or, did Ben say he couldn't go? I think it was the former.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    give him a break
    hes probably got broken ribs

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Then he shouldn't have played at all. Either play the half or don't play at all but that end of the game bs cost us the game. And I say that as a HUGE Ben fan.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Ya that decision alone cost them this game. Tomlins clock management in the last minute there was beyond horrific. You gotta call timeout there when it’s first and goal with over a minute left and at least save your offense sometime to go down and either tie or win the game. You can’t put your faith in a defense that sucks and can’t get a stop to save it’s life to win the game. I don’t know if this is the worst loss of the Tomlin era but it’s definitely right up there this was an epic disaster today. How many more times does Art Rooney have to watch this before Tomlins seat starts getting remotely warm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't know. Clearly Ben wanted back in the game. You could tell the way he came out of the locker room he was ready to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We'll probably never know the full truth. I'm sure Tomlin has some fancy catch phrase to describe what happened though

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Popcorn pretty much covers everything

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was wondering the same thing!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Ben prob wanted to show everybody how bad it's gonna be without him and wanted to play the hero role coming back in to lead the team to victory.. Saw him in his little hat standing on the sideline wondering why the f*** is he not in. He's more dramatic than a 13 year old girl

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hope they have a nice quite ride back to the Burgh don't say a damn word!!!STFU turn the lights out in the plane no beveage service nothing just silence!!! Tomlin and Butler can ride in the lavatories and try to come up with a game plan to not get ***** slapped by Cheaters!!!!

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol they will carry on with life, make jokes and go home to their families

17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    So your putting this loss on Ben again ??

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Please, Please don't give me this Dobb's is a starting QB. He is not.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    IMO they probably didn’t want to risk further injury unless they had to. They probably figured to keep Dobbs in as long as they had the lead and only use Ben if necessary. It would’ve worked if Tomlin knew how to manage the clock. But even so, if he was good enough to play the last series, then he was good enough to play the whole half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I blame the defense and Boswell for the most part, but also the coaching staff and Ben too.

21. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    This is going to be the topic of the week and no one will talk how the D gave up back to back 75 yard TD drives to end the game. Throw in the SD game and this D is toast. Can't wait to hear more of Cam’s BS quotes...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    You know, given how many times Ben has played injured when he shouldn't have, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear other wise. Ben may be a drama queen at times, but nobody with half a brain can question this guy's toughness and willingness to play through injury

• Agree Agree x 6
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This is how it looked to me, but is just my opinion. Ben had a rib injury of some sort. Both broken and bruised ribs are pretty painful. However both broken and bruised ribs are something you can play through. There is no risk of further injury, it is just an issue of pain management. Ben was most likely late coming out of the locker-room because he was getting an x-ray on his ribs. Tomlin made a clear decision to keep Dobbs in the game and Ben on the sidelines. It was obvious that Tomlin felt like he would try and win the game with Dobbs, and then go back to Ben if they fell behind.

This is horrible coaching at its finest. You can not manage a game in this fashion. He showed the Raiders no respect whatsoever, by just assuming the Steelers were good enough to hold a 4 point lead without Ben. Ben could have played. There is no doubt in my mind he could have played. Had Ben played in the 2nd half the Steelers likely win this game. Instead Ben came in at the end to save the day, but it was to little to late because our defense cant stop anyone.

The coaching decisions Mike Tomlin made during the course of this game warrant an immediate firing. Enough is enough.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I generally find myself defending Tomlin against what I think are unfair criticisms but I'm not about to on this one. If Ben was healthy enough to play he should have been in there. I have no idea why he wouldn't have been. We sink or swim with Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Tomlin took the fall for Ben not playing. Not sure what to believe TBH

As for using timeouts at the end, that's a tough call. If you leave time but get a PI or a holding you give them a lot of time. I'd say you use them, but it's not as obvious as it seems in hindsight.

At the end of the day, we needed a fourth down stop or a relatively short FG and didn't get either. <sigh>

• Agree Agree x 2