1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Last Time a Steelers Head Coach Was Fired..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Dec 7, 2018.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Where you at in NY brother? The city, upstate, central, northern, west?

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In Lagrange, NY which is a part of Poughkeepsie

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nice.
    I have a place in cny, cuse area.

4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jesus we need a win soon lol

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    In my reply I said Butler‘s defensive philosophy stinks. You are absolutely 100% correct with them playing off the ball by 5 to 8 yards every single play, it’s ridiculous. We give them a first down every single time, and they take it. That’s why we can’t beat the Patriots, because Brady knows he can just throw a 5 yard route and get a first down.

As for picking a corner I know Tomlin and the Rooney‘s have the final say, but you can bet Butler has a lot of say on who they look at. I’ll bet he’s made some calls on players and they’ve picked them based on his calls. I think Tomlin has given Butler enough time to prove himself, and he hasn’t. It’s the same thing every single year. We get beat on the defensive side of the ball.

Dick LeBeau to me was a great defensive coordinator. I really don’t understand why Tomlin forced him out. At least that’s what I remember happened right? We had great defensive talent when LeBeau was here. I don’t know if they were his picks or Cowher’s picks? I’m sure both. Either way you can bet LaBeau had a lot of influence on who was picked on the defensive side of the ball in the draft. With all that said I think Butler needs to go.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I simply meant that if all things start at the top in this case Coach Tomlin then you could make a case it starts even higher then that at the very top with the Rooneys. They are the ones which could effect change if in fact they were so inclined.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I ask what his strengths were...What does he do well

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We play off because our corners will get burnt otherwise. We don’t have the secondary to compete.

What we do is

1.hope the pass rush hits
    2. If it doesn’t hope the qb makes a bad throw
    3. It’s not Ben so hope the WR drops it

Usually good teams will pass those 3 and torch us.

Offense gives the ball away and defense doesn’t take away, we suck

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

I'm a jackass? I am, half as much as you are Hater.

How's the weather in TheMatrix? It's stable.

How was the weather the last time you were in Boston?

I can't grasp concepts in reality? You mean I don't understand that your hate is really like? I understand that you think it is, but it's not. Hate is just hate. Hater. Your parents constantly put you down so you grew up thinking that criticism is love when it's not. It means they had low self esteem and the only way they could feel good about themselves was to put everything down, even a child because that's all they had the power over in life and now you are doing the same thing to everything and everyone.

I call your type repeaters. You're the same as your parents, a 1950's black and white movie stuck playing over and over and over again. You won't change because being a hater means you always have a way to feel good about yourself. You just criticize something or someone and "wallah" you instantly feel superior over that thing. You actually believe that you are smarter than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I should tell Neo you said "hello?" But you're not in TheMatrix. You're in your alternate reality where criticism means love but that is only my "opinion."

You're done with me? That will be $2,000. When you watch the next football game try to force yourself to enjoy just one tiny thing about the game, a first down, a long play, anything, regardless of whatever the final score is. But, of course, you won't be able to do that. You will look for things to complain about.

10. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    McCarthy made 8 straight playoff appearances (Including a SB win). He is much better than Tomlin. Yet, he lost his job. Packers only consider their season a success if they win the SB.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    #1 by far is that he didn't come in and destroy the team like some head coach's do. He didn't attempt to change our schemes, only made small adjustments.

He doesn't over react like some of the clips we see of head coach's losing it after a game.

He has a sense of loyalty to his players, paying Shazier full pay this year instead of giving him an injury settlement but he can sit a guy, like Burns, when they are not playing well.

He picks good coach's. Whether you like Haley or not his system worked and our offense became great. Munchak is doing well and Butler is doing fine even though you are all upset about the Charger game.

He drafts well compared to other teams. I know we missed on Jarvis Jones and Limas Sweed but TJ Watt is a hit and some of our later draft picks are stars.

He is aggressive but not overly aggressive, I like going for the 2 point conversions (especially when Boswell was missing kicks), not sure why we aren't doing that as much as we were, and I like that he doesn't run too many trick plays like Cowher used to do.

And I like how he talks to the media. He says the right thing which means he gave it some real forethought.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

If he is much better than Tomlin, why was he fired?

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You make valid points..Idk, Maybe I'm spoiled, But I expect more...And quite a few of these years, I have expected more...There are a lot worse coaches, But, Quite a few better imo

14. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Because the Packers hold coaches accountable.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I have an idea, stop talking about peoples parents, stop playing psychiatrist and stop making it personal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    I'm not going to argue about this with another steeler fan .I have always loved the steelers and guess you have too. But you were the one saying if someone says something good that's probaly true about another team that they aren't steeler fans. Some people love Tomlin some dont .

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    We are spoiled, period. This team has had three head coaches in 50 years, yet here we are having a discussion about the last time a Pittsburgh Steelers coach was fired.

When the Steelers win, it's because the players were great. When they lose it's because HCMT is incompetent. Some people here want him gone, yet they can't seem to supply a candidate that will exceed what he has accomplished.

I see people throwing the phrase "they have all of this talent" around like they are the '76 Steelers. Offensively, they are very good. Defensively, they have a good interior line, one quality LB and one quality CB. The rest are either journeyman pros or first or second year players prone to mistakes. The defense is not laced with talent. In fact, I think they have over achieved for much of this year, the KC game excluded. Griping about Butler is legit, but he doesn't have a Polamalu, Aaron Smith or Potsy on the field, either.

Point is, we got what we got. I can either sit here and whine about the record I think we should have or, thank The Good Lord I was born in Pittsburgh, lived here all my life and consider rooting for this team an honor and a privilege. Bengals, Brown, Jets and Cardinal fans would be happy to have our problems.

18. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    For the same reason MT should at the very least be on the hot seat - wasting the prime years of a future HOF QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If the Steelers lose or win barely tomorrow, this will become a 10 or 15 page thread.

20. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I consider myself lucky to be a lifelong fan (~45 years) of this franchise. So, yeah, I'm spoiled. And I don't expect them to fire HC's like the changing of the wind direction. Not even close.

But it's irksome to see some on here say "just look at MT's winning record!" and in the same breath say "the players didn't execute" or "the coordinators/gameplan are to blame, but MT has no say in that and shouldn't shoulder the blame for the loss" (both semi-paraphrased, of course). You can't have it both ways. If MT gets credit for the wins, he should get the blame for the losses, too. I've said it before, he ultimately is responsible for the product that is fielded each week/season. And they have consistently underperformed (yes, I said it. Regular season record means squat if the team consistently goes 1-and-done in the playoffs, or falls flat on their faces against better-coached teams) for quite a few years now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Why do people say you can't replace Mike Tomlin unless you know of a candidate? Every successful head coach was a no name at their beginnings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm not saying Tomlin is beyond reproach. I just think the merciless bashing every time they lose is uncalled for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    No, I get that. I meant, in the way of current or known coaches, by way of comparison. I'm not expecting someone to say; "The offensive coordinator of the Marshall Thundering Herd would be the next logical choice."

• Like Like x 1
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    One of the reasons I have liked the Rooneys is that they have been stable. I don't believe changing head coaches every year is the answer. I also don't believe Tomlin is as bad as many people are claiming.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You are right the defensive philosophy stinks but who is to say it is Butlers's? That is my point Butler is a 3-4 guy who learned from the greatest 3-4 mind this is LeBeau! Now Tomlin is coming in wanting to do this hybrid thing that just don't work vs good QB's. This started the last couple of years while DL was here if you remember the D was getting bad and people were blaming DL. Well DL is gone and Butler is here and we are on the same road, which tells me who calls the shots, jmo.

As for Butler having say in corners of course he dose but the HC and GM are the guys picking players. However I go back to scheme not talent as why our secondary is what it is. I find it hard to beleive we can draft any WR and he played well for us but we can't draft a corner.......scheme baby scheme!!!!! jmo

• Agree Agree x 1