1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ola in......Thomas out

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thesteeldeal, Dec 1, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ola activated to the 53. M. Thomas released....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Really excited to see Ola in action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hmmm... I liked Thomas’ potential. I’m guessing we’ll sign him to the PS unless someone claims him.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Wow....

Unreal. Concur with Elvis. I really thought you could build something from Matthew Thomas. Hopefully he lands on the Practice Squad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    thinking thy could have let Allen go instead...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Someone would be a fool to not pick up Matt Thomas. Unless there is something showing in practice, the guy made some great plays in preseason. Wasn't even given a chance to play in the regular season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Washington looked great in the preseason too. Guess it’s a different game...

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think it was telling that Thomas got only a handful of snaps on defense all season and he didn't even get a helmet last week.

I do think it would have been a mistake to go into the game with only three outside linebackers with Dupree trying to play through an injury.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    yeah really thought that it would be Allen or one of the receivers. I guess Thomas really isn't picking up the defense like they thought he would.

He was supposed to be used in some speed rushing snaps at the least.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Excited about OLA but not holding my breath

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Not happy Thomas got released. If you gonna release somebody to make room for Ola, BIG RED is the guy. Thomas got way more upside than him. Always gotta pick on the brothers...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Big Red is Alan Faneca. I think you meant Dirty Red.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Hilarious x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I had Ridley, Banner, Thomas on the bottom of the roster. Banner was safe because of injurys to Gilbert and Feiler. No Way was I going to suggest Thomas..... I would have been murdered on this board with all the love he gets here so I played it safe and went with Ridley.

I'm not surprised though. As much as this game is about athleticism it's how smart you are that really matter. Knowing your assignments and others and also reading offenses and communication. It was a tell tale sign that Red & Fort both got snaps over him. Sounds like he was struggling in practice.

Not let's see if he gets signed to the PS.

I'm excited to see Marcus Sunday..... I liked him better than Terrell Edmunds coming into the draft.

Cajun

14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    If He knows his assignments and plays smart he'll definitely be a boost to the defense. He has the physical skills.

If not.......... It's going to be a long day.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like Ola as a pass rusher and run defender. When he was asked to drop into coverage, he looked uncomfortable to me. If he gets snaps, I hope we play to his strengths and limitations, and don’t put him into a bad spot. I’m thinking back to watching Harrison trying to run with Delaney Walker on a crossing route, and it wasn’t a good matchup. I also recall Dupree following a TE across the field in a recent game. Ola would be very unlikely to be successful in that kind of situation.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i sure hope we can keep thomas. you can't teach speed. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Washington is getting opportunities to play in the NFL. Adeniyi is no more proven then Thomas working against first stringers.

I haven't seen Thomas out for one snap on defense, not even in situational football. Was hoping to see him on the field a bit.

I'm glad Adeniyi is going to get a chance. I hope Thomas clears waivers though to land on the practice squad.

These types of plays don't just come out of nowhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Word is.......Is he is dumb as a box of rocks, which could be true...It seems like he has all the physical traits...And he looked great in preseason...But like some have said, So did Washington

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The beautiful thing is even a dog can understand the words "get the Quarterback". It's all good. Hope the guy clears waivers to the practice squad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Im going to be honest, im surprised Keion Adams wasn’t brought up over Ola. He probably knows the defense better, and is probably better against the run.

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Sucks to see Thomas go. Thought he showed enough to be on the 53.

But VERY excited to see Ola in action. I think he is a stud.:herewego:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I know Dirty Red is a stellar special teams player. But how he remains on this roster as an immediate backup, at one of the defenses most important positions is mind boggling to me. I thought Thomas had some real promise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It sucks about Thomas, I really liked his potential, should've cut Hunter instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He did well in the pass rush against backups primarily. Hoping for the best but thinking it's more realistic he doesn't come in with the presence he did in preseason. Hope I am wrong.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know why people keep posting that they would cut Ridley. The only way that was going to happen was if Bell had returned. They aren't going to leave themselves that thin at running back.

I'm a little surprised they cut Thomas, but it makes the most sense. It seems as if he wasn't making progress in practice. I thought he did get some snaps on defense early on, but not many, and he hasn't even been playing as much on special teams of late. If I remember correctly, he was inactive last week.