1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What has happened to the 20-30 yd pass down the middle of the field?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikey5513, Nov 20, 2018.

1. mikey5513

mikey5513 Member

Nov 6, 2016
    It has virtually disappeared despite the presence of JuJu, AB, Jesse & McDonald. Why do the Steelers go constantly to the Bubble, screen, sideline or Bomb? In watching the Chiefs, Rams, Saints & Pats, the 20-30 yd down-field pass is their bread & butter play. I remember when Ben threw that pass quite often to Jesse with great success. In the 2nd half of Sundays game, it was virtually absent - as it has been recently. I know you cannot fight success, however, I really wish the coaches would get back to mixing it up more. What say y'all?

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    When Hines Ward retired he took the middle of the field with him?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Eli Rogers is apparently getting close and adding him would likely open that specific play even more for us.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    OK - kidding aside, you're right, don't see it often. That was bread and butter with the Young Money quartet, often turning medium range skinny posts into 50 yd+ TD's. Maybe Ben doesn't trust his instincts of spotting lateral defender movements into that sector as in his younger days. Switzer is picking up some tosses over the middle but certainly not in a dominant fashion as we've seen in the past. Let's bring it up at the next meeting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Close but the middle of the field is now a graveyard full of people that he blocked. Hard to run through the headstones.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree with passes up the middle non existing of late. Same for Jesse James in the middle, he is tall and has good hands, surprised we didn't see him more against the Jags. We sure could of used him.

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    And if you run into a headstone, it’s a 15-yard personal foul.

I dunno. We have the running game threat to pull safeties down and the receiving threats to make them shade wide.

8. mikey5513

mikey5513 Member

Nov 6, 2016
    And the problem is, as I see it, the offense becomes awfully predictable. That certainly is not a good thing. Is this on Ben or as I suspect on the coach?

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Just have AB run that route. Ben will throw it to him regardless of the coverage.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO it's the lack of a bonafide and consistent deep threat that truly takes the top off a defense. We have seen very few attempts and even less succes in that department. I know DHB isn't the answer but I wouldn't mind seeing at least a couple field stretchers thrown his way to at least give the D the threat of it.

11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I like what we have been doing on offense lately, except for the Jax game. It seems to me they tried to take away the short pass and run game and took their chances we would not throw deep and we played right into their hands. We should have called the pass plays you are describing for that game. Good thing Bortles is back to being horrible and they have no pass game.

So it depends on the defense we go up against. For instance, I hate the bubble screen we overused, but if the defenders are playing way back and there is a safe 5 yards plus for the taking, then I`m ok with that. We used to routinely run that play when there was no room and get 1-3 yards and I hate that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Pretty funny.

The Steelers also have a QB that can throw the sideline balls now. Did not have that with the Mike Tomzack, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox.. Ward paid dearly for some of those catches over the middle. Couldn't believe he'd come up with the ball.

I'm not complaining too much with over 300 yards passing in most games.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No he won't. He has no catches of 20+ yards down the middle last season. He has 2 catches on 10 targets between 10-20 yards. Most of his catches are 0-10 yards, 10 catches on 15 targets and 6 catches on 6 targets behind the line of scrimmage.

As for the OP's question, it may not appear like they are to you but they do. 7 catches on 16 targets for 233 yards and 4 TD's with 2 Ints on 20+ yards. As compared to the Saints who have 5 catches on 11 targets, 152 yards, 0 TD's and no Ints.

It's not easy attacking that deep, seems like KC does it the most with 12/25 for 398 yards, 5 TD's, 1 Int.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Where did you find this data?

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

There is something about the Jags that Ben always plays kinda sloppy . He airs it out far more often when playing them then any other time. Weird because if anything you want to protect the ball against a secondary that is stout like Jacksonville

16. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    take a look at this triple team of #89 against Carolina. this is one reason we didn't throw down the middle. IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4645.JPG IMG_4646.JPG

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pro Football Focus.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He still throws them , but we now call them INT's.