1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tran tag and trade?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blake duerden, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I can compare the layoff and a year and a half is an exceptionally long time to be away from football. Even in your IR example they aren't away as long as Bell. I'm not arguing that he will definitely injure himself, but if I'm a GM, I'm definitely considering it. Also, players who go on IR aren't usually looking to sign a contract with huge guaranteed money the next season.

Meanjoeblue had some good posts about the money offered Bell. Seems the money was greater than 10 million.

2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...ded-as-much-as-20m-guaranteed-nfl-news-rumors

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ered-leveon-bell-47-million-over-three-years/

Lets just say it was ONLY 10 mill guaranteed.

Bell got 12 last year...and had he signed this year...it was 10 mill signing bonus...and his almost 15 mill in weekly checks.

37 mill for 2017 and 2018...doesnt seem to bad.

Even if you throw out all other rumored contract numbers...that appears to 37 million with

Had they offered him a contract in 2017 for for 6 years and 82mill and 37 mill guaranteed would that been enough? because ultimately thats what he turned down.

I think Bell is a very talented RB. I think he will get some money next year. I do not think he will get what he thinks he will get....Only time will tell.

I stand by my prediction. He will sign with lets say the JETS...they will throw some money at him..enough that it looks like he did the right thing.

They Jets will be average. Bell will have some plays where they go "that's why you pay the man" but overall his stats will not look like the top RB in football. They will cut him in a few years....he will never see the rest of that contract. Then he will sign with a 3rd team...and he will get some more signing bonus.

Maybe after he gets all the money to keep his family fed....He may sign with a 4th team at the end of his career to try that one last grasp at a ring.

Time will tell, but I think history will look back at this as a "what not to do" moment. But that still doesn't mean Bell was wrong. He is getting exactly what he wanted. So in that way he won. He wanted to get to the end of the rainbow..and he made it. I just dont think he will find the pot of gold is actually there.

HACK

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course you can compare the layoff. Actually you can compare anything you want, but I'm saying it's not apples to apples. Bell will go through all the various off season camps and pre-season. Dez jumped in with both feet into the middle of a season and appears he was overweight at the time.

I don't think Bell is at greater risk of injury than any other NFL player. Now if he had reported for week 11, then yeah, I would absolutely agree with you and I would have expected lots of nagging injuries.

4. bhandsome08

bhandsome08 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Transition tag would be best. It would be worth 14.5mil and allow Bell to seek better pastures. Steelers will get a 1st & 3rd rounder if they won't match.

NFL lagging behind with contracts not being guaranteed. Expect a lockout of some sort when the CBA is up.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually the transition tag provides zero compensation to the Steelers if they don’t match. The only thing that the tagging team gets is the right to match an accepted contract.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm not wrong. Like I said he wouldnt have played during that half of a year REGARDLESS but you keep trying to throw it in to further sully his name and value. So next year if any player starts out bad i want to hear you say"well they havent played in half a year".. and they asked that because he showed up overweight and out of shape. There were reports that they would hold him out for a few weeks so he can get back into shape. He was not training as hard as you think he was and then you are only going off what people are posting. I dont have a camera following nether one of them 24/7 so you have no clue what either did on their off time plus leveon maybe knew he was holding out all year and thus wont starte training till next yr closer to the season. You never know it's all speculation. Plus dez already was slowed down athletically anyways. And never said you were a bryant fan but you and a lot of steelers fans distain for bell makes you when things are compared to him to engage in hyperbole because you so badly have a dislike for him because basically a lot of you feel he turned his nose up at the franchise.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018

8. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Bell is not a Steeler anymore
    All Discussions should be held in “general “ , Right
    :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude, you know it's more than just the physical act of playing football right? He's missed out on every single camp, video review, analysis of new offensive schemes with a new coordinator, missed analysis of opponent. Playing in the NFL is more than just raw talent.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're a 100% wrong and just proving you are one of those people who can't admit it.

No matter how much you try to spin it, Bell will have missed 18 months in between games. Thats a lot of time away from the game.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So did dez Bryant. This guy said dez has been working out and was comparing him to leveon. I was the one here screaming that you can only get in football shape by playing football when we were were here comparing conner's first cpl games to leveon's. I said leveon last yr missed the entire offseason so therefore he had to play his way into shape. But also this will be the first time leveon in 2 years participates in an entire offseason. That should be considered a positive and not a negative..

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Beastmode missed "18 months", was injured his last season before the "18 months", and was 31 years old and ran for 76 Yds on 18 Carries his first game back last yr. If he can do that I dont see why bell cant still produce at 27 with more talent than beastmode had but because he turned his nose up at the team you can keep trying to degrade him. Ap at 31 tore his meniscus and missed "18 months" and came back and had some good games for arizona and right now for the Redskins is playing at a pro bowl level. How did they all do this with "alot of time away from the game"? And hes missed one year. Not 18 months. Ask any player if they werent playing anyways if they consider that as time off. Every days leveon missed a season of football. Not 18 months. But you can try to spin it that way as that wont effect anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    As usual, you try to muddy the original argument. As a GM, I'd be concerned handing out big guaranteed money to a player who missed so much time. AP and Lynch didn't get a huge contract, apples to oranges.

Your counter argument about missing 18 months is the most ridiculous thing you've ever tried to spew on this board.

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They both were OLDER. Ap at 26 could have sat out 2 years and came back an got a big deal. Bell is 27. As a running back missing time not due to injury is a POSTIVE and not a NEGATIVE. Wear and tear and mileage on a running backs body is the most important thing. Leveon may have preserved him self more by sitting this year out. Teams arent looking at it as oh he missed a season so he will suck now. Plus factor in that he will have a full offseason. The last few years he didnt have an offseason. That will also make him a lot better. He will be fine and looking at his options they arent bad situations. And you once again just keep trying to spew negativity on the man name. Get out your feelings fam. It's over with. Move on. And like I said it's a season. Not 18 months. Show me an article or somewhere that people say he missed 18 months and not a SEASON of football. You cant miss something you werent going to have anyway but you can keep trying to spin it that way because you're mad.

15. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I mean, did you even think about what you just typed before you posted it?? Your comment makes no damn sense. Your comment is exactly what team management is hoping for when players come to the table for negotiations. They are hoping players will be as dumb as to think that way. You dont understand why athletes want fully guaranteed contracts for multiple years? Dont respond back. I think theres people on here who have a lot better business acumen who can take it from here

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol you’re funny man, you have this whole separate debate going on in your head that’s not being discussed. You do it with everyone, that’s why your debates are so disjointed :lolol:

My feelings about Bell have no bearing on how I think GMs May be cautious when considering huge up front money for a guy who has missed 18 months of football. Yes, the half year of football that all players miss still counts as time away for Bell :facepalm:

17. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Hack

This is the first time anyone has ever mentioned a 6 year contract and you cant include a franchise tag year as part of a contract. Your statement is completely misleading by stating he turned down 82 and 37 mil guaranteed. How could he turn down 82 when according to your own admission, and of course we know, he played under the 12.2 tag??

So at the most he turned down 70 and 10 fully guaranteed. The rolling guaranteed amount of 23 (not sure how you came up with 37) would not kick in until after the 1st year of the contract. Well what if he doesnt get through the first year because of a career ending injury?? Then that means he doesnt get any of the rolling guaranteed 23 mil. He would only get the base salary (12) plus the 1st year roster bonus (2.5) plus the signing bonus (10 mil). So facts are technically he turned down 70 mil, 10 fully guaranteed, 23 rolling guaranteed...not 82 mil (37 guaranteed).

As far as his future endeavours who knows with the NFL what kind of team he will end up with. I think we understand, at this point, it doesnt really matter to him. You made the statement he could sign a five year and be released b4 his contract is up after 3. Great point. That's the very reason as an athlete you get as much fully guaranteed money as possible so that it won't matter.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I gurantee he gets more upfront money than what pitt offered. Long as he gets that he won. Rather it just be 10 million more than what they offered. That's 10 million more he insured himmself. David johnson deal is what I'm looking at. He may get a bit more than him he got 30 million guranteed I think bell can get probably 35. Of course he wont get some record breaking deal but he wouldn't have got that even if he played this yr. So him not playing will hold no bearing on his contract. And like I said it was 1 season. Everybody isnt the Steelers or Patriots who dont gurantee anyone money. Imagine what ab would have gotten if he signed elsewhere if odell got 65 million gurnateed.

19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    FWIW, he’s not retired or on another team, and the Steelers hold exercisable rights.

So I agree with you...but no.
    :lolol:

20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Maybe Bell and his agent, after they research the CBA, should look up “pyrrhic victory”.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh really? So sits out a whole year and went through all this just to get 10 million more and he's a winner :lolol:

And yes, he missed one football season but will have been away from the game for 18 months. I'll keep saying it until the lightbulb goes on.

His time away from the game, his two knee injuries, his drug history, his handling of this fiasco, his love for money over the game, his commitment to playing will all be taken into consideration when a GM negotiates his contract and what they are willing to put up front.

I imagine if it was your money, you wouldn't be so cavalier about parting with it under the circumstances.

You also agreed with me just the other day that you didn't know how missing the season would effect his payday. Guess you changed your mind.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You weren’t supposed to respond back :drinks:

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That dude has anger issues. Internet tough guy. If he was really a Steelers fan he be worried about what’s in the best interest of the Steelers not some selfish player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Its so hard not to pull that thread :lolol:

[​IMG]