1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

C.J. Anderson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It takes time for a RB to get a feel for the calls of when and who to block.

That's why Conner was not going to sub in for Bell last year as much. If Ben is not comfortable with the RB in blocking, he's not going to be effective.

It really is that simple. If any RB can step into any system and just have to learn the playbook to be good, then we wouldn't have anything to worry about. It takes practice reps and game situation reps.

Just look at the Baltimore playoff game they lost. Ben was not in sync with the RB, he missed the chip and his timing was off and Ben threw a bad ball that was picked off by Suggs.

If he has confidence in that guy picking up the blitzer, he stands in there and takes the shot to Bryant, who had gotten by his defender and would have been a long score.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That's why you sign him now so he has time to work with Ben if and when we need him. I don't want the Steelers to sign him to play I want him as a back up if something happens to Conner. If you sign him now he has time to learn and work with Ben, unlike what happened a few years back with Ben Tate. This is a move to protect the RB position not bolster it. jmo

3. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    In mid-season, I don’t sign him unless we have to replace an injured player. However I think he is a substantial upgrade over Ridley. Anderson is a complete RB who can catch the ball and do a credible job in pass protection. It’s just not the right time to make a move like this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't see it like that, I think this is the right time. Why wait until we need him and he don't know the system. As much as I don't want to talk about him Bell was the guy they Steelers were counting on to help at the back part of the season. Now with no Bell we need to add protection and just like you said CJ is an upgrade over Ridley why wait?

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I just don’t see the Steelers cutting Ridley to make room for a new RB.
    They’re not going to carry 4 RB’s either.
    If there’s an injury they probably make a move, but based on how the Steelers typically operate it doesn’t seem likely we are signing anyone.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get what your saying but I am not saying we would cut Ridley and I am not saying we would carry 4 RB's. We can cut someone on the 53 to make room then deactivate CJ on game day. Let's face it without a good RB we are screwed and while Conner is awesome we need to protect our self just in case...jmo.

A couple things to consider and ask your self. Did we learn anything a few years back when Bell and Dwill went down and we brought in Tate who wasn't in game shape? Also are you comfortable with Jaylen and Ridley if something happened to Conner? I am not and I am a Jaylen fan just don't see him as a full time guy...of course as you know I felt the same about Conner in the off season. :facepalm:

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    @Blast Furnace Found it

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So I just read this thread again and it was pretty cool to look back and see people's opinions. I for one didn't think Samules could carry the load and he showed he could. There are some real cool points here is anyone has the time/interest to go back. It's not like we have anything else worthy to talk about.......:(