1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tran tag and trade?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blake duerden, Nov 14, 2018.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If Bell thinks he is a better player than Gurley, which is likely, then with Bell's quote I don't doubt that he wanted more than what Gurley got.

Gurley signed his contract after the date when the Steelers had to stop negotiating with Bell on a new contract. Isn't it possible that Gurley's agent heard about the Bell offer, and wanted Gurley to get 1M more in the first year of the extension (22 vs. 21)?

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    At that particular time he was regarded as better than Gurley. Not just my media and analysts but by his OWN PEERS. He was still first team all pro last year. Maybe he wanted more idk if they knew or not it's all speculation. But the Steelers also now and in the past NEVER PAY high gurantees. They only gave ab 19 million fully gurnateed while odell got 65...

3. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    You did not comprehend what I wrote.

I'm not talking about media, analysts, or peers. I wrote "If Bell thinks". If in his own mind, he thinks he deserves more than Gurley got, then that is what will cause him to turn down a lucrative contract offer.

And once again, you are mixing "fully guaranteed" with "guarantees". The speculated 21M for Bell would not be fully guaranteed at signing, but it would be 3 days into the season.

4. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    What's lucrative about 70 if only 10 million is fully guaranteed??? Remember he has to make it through the second franchise tag season to even get to the 10 and then he has to show up at the beginning of the 2019 season for the rolling guaranteed part to kick in for that year as well as the 2020 season in order for the rolling guaranteed portion to kick in for that season. I think this discouraged him. Too much risk for too little a reward.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He last played a game in Jan 2018. Next time he suits up for a game will be Aug 2019. Year and a half.

We'll see what he gets. There could be a dumb team that may throw a bunch of guarantee money at him and then watch him pull a Dez who missed significantly less time and was actually working out not riding jet skis and frequenting strip clubs.

6. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    No. If he decided to sign the new contract before the July 16th deadline, there would have been no 2nd tag. The new contract would have replaced the tag.

He only would have gotten 10M at signing, but he had another 10M as a roster bonus (making it almost as much as Gurley's 22M fully guaranteed amount), and then some unknown amount of rolling guarantees (to be compared with Gurley's 45M guarantees).

(Edit: I think he should have signed the contract, but that isn't what I am arguing. I'm arguing that the Gurley contract, which happened a week after the July 16th deadline, isn't leaps and bounds better than the rumored offer made to Bell.)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    I would not have signed it. He said all along he was trying to get paid like the QBs...I dont even think hes talking about gross salary as much as he is the fully guaranteed portion of the contracts. Gurleys contract is ok, but I'm looking at Kirk Cousins contract if I'm Bell. Fully guaranteed! All 84 million of it!! I dont have to get all 70 fully guaranteed if I'm Bell, but im gettin $35 million at least fully guaranteed signing bonus. I'm certainly not settling for 10...on a 70 million contract?? Are you crazy?? Especially with the career he has had. He would have been selling himself short. Sorry

Let's be clear about something. The roster bonuses only kick in if hes on the roster and its prorated over the term of the contract (2.5M a year) so you cant necessarily include that. I'm not taking any chances. A Shazier incident in the first year and he walks away with the 24.5. If I'm Bell I want more assurance since this is likely the last contract (and biggest) I will ever play under.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    That's not true. Gurley's 40 mill guaranteed is a myth. He got 22 mill at signing with rolling guarantees. It's a 4 year extension to his two years left on rookie deal so basically a 6 year deal. Steelers offered Bell 19 at signing which I believe because it's right in line with what they gave AB and they couldn't give more because than that would cause more issues with AB. A year later and Gurley got 3 mill more, that's right in line with the market. Bell was offered - 19 mill at signing. 5 years, 70 million. 14 mill per. So he played last year injury free but missed out on 19 mill and then 10-14 mill this year depending how the contract was broke down yearly. So he's down around 30 mill right now. He would have made around 40-44 mill these two years and been out of his deal 2 years before Gurley.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No one plays football between February(exception of superbowl participants) and August. That means everyone is out every year for half a year. They count it by seasons. Not by time. He will be ok he missed one season. And dez was not working out. That's why the saints asked him to drop 10 pounds and why he looked slow in that video of him working out with them.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Bell this past offseason was only offered 10 million up front. Not 19. Gurley also will be around Bell's age after this contract. He has the chance to cash in 2x. Bell does not.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    When you negotiate that contract the players uses the stats, accolades, awards, and rankings to determine his value. That was my reasoning for bringing it up. Most great ones think they are the best so that's not a negotiating element. Maybe he did think he deserved more. Even more or comparable to Gurley the Steelers werent paying it so either way he was gone. And still not guranteed at the sign of the deal. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN he could have torn his acl in training camp.

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He was offered 19 two years ago. Bell would have been 30 out of his deal if he signed two years ago and Gurley will be 30 in 6 years. So why is Gurley guaranteed to see another deal and Bell isn't?

13. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    Todd Gurley is 24 yrs old. His current contract will run out when hes 28. Theres a good chance he could cash in on a last 3 yr fully guaranteed deal (if players union is smart) before he starts to noticeably decline.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Wrong. It's a 4 year extension to the two years he has left on his rookie contract. He's not an UFA until 2024. He will be 30.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    Well what if he chooses to renegotiate the last two years and roll it into another 3 yr let's say...would that be alright with you??

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Now you are trying to change the scenario and play what ifs. He's an UFA in 2024, fact.

17. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

Oct 25, 2011
    Regardless, what does that have to do with Bell though? Bell isnt concerned whether its 60 or 70 hes paid...hes concerned about the amount that's fully guaranteed...so what difference does it make?? I'll wait...

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude, holy crap. The normal break is Jan to August between games. What are you not getting about this????

Bryant was absolutely working out.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So why are you posting here? You’re obviously not a Steelers fan.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What’s wrong with playing and getting paid each year for it? What’s with the guaranteed BS? I mean if you get some fool of a team to give you a guaranteed contract that’s great, but why should that be expected?

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Rams will extend him in a few years or restructure his deal if he keeps balling. And him turning that down two years ago makes this look even worse. If he turned 30 million down last year what makes them think after the season he just had that he wouldn't want more?

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Bias showing. So when leveon looks overweight he is out of shape but when dez looks overweight and it was REPORTED the saints asked him to lose weight he was "working out". Dez from his days in Dallas never was a hard worker. It's why he looked so bad once his athleticism started to diminish. He never became a route technician and perfected his craft. And exactly that's the normal break EVERYONE TAKES REGARDLESS. You said because he didnt play since then he hasnt played in one in a half years as if he could have playe during those couple of months when NO ONE PLAYS. That's why they say people miss one season. They dont say oh a year and a half UNLESS it was someone who got hurt midseason.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Because this isn't a normal job where you can work all your life. Your time in the nfl is so short. Therefore maximize on the highest earnings you can.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Bias :lolol:

I'm not a Bryant fan, just going from reports I read. Even if the Saints asked him to lose weight, which I did not see, doesn't mean it was fat or out of shape. Do you not work out?

Last game Bell played was Jan 2018. Next game he plays will be Aug 2019. Thats a year and a half, that he won't have played a meaningful snap of football. Regular layoff is 7 months. It's not complicated. You were wrong and looked foolish in front of the whole board, just move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You can't compare Bell, a guy who will (assuming he signs with a team in the off season) go through all the various off season workouts, camps, pre-season, etc. with a guy like Dez who didn't sniff any real training and then tried to jump right into a full speed practice. Otherwise, every single player who goes on season ending IR would be in the same boat as Bell.

I don't think Bell's lack of playing this year will affect his salary at all. I do think some GM's will shy away from him as a result of what they perceive his attitude to be or if they now think he's not as good as they once thought he was. Him getting less due to those factors wouldn't surprise me, but him sitting out a year and not putting 400 touches on his body, I don't think that will be a factor at all. Of course we'll never know. If he doesn't get a huge offer, we'll never know the reasoning. We can only speculate once the time comes.

I do expect him to get a big contract though. How big remains to be seen. I understand why he turned down a contract that didn't have a ton of guaranteed money, but I believe he made a mistake. I believe the Steelers would have honoured at least the first few years of the deal, meaning he would have made a lot of money, money that I don't think he'll be able to make up. Again, that's something we'll never know.

Either way, I think you'll see him get a lot of money in his next deal. Love him or hate him, he's a playmaker

• Agree Agree x 1