1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What we do with our cap savings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dominilate, Nov 13, 2018.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Extension for Ben

You still have Conner and Ju Ju on the cheap for another 2 seasons. But, if I was Colbert you might want to think about locking up JuJu longer term. If these guys keep up the stats, the contracts are just going to get more expensive.

I'd look at the CB back market next off season, since we can't seem to draft one to save our lives.

2. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    So I just went through potential FA options if they don't get resigned to their current teams

Ronald Darby - Will be the top CB this spring
    Jason Verrett - has had numerous injuries already but may be the best man to man cover CB in the league when healthy
    Bradley Roby - very solid CB that was behind Harris and Talib for the past couple years getting his first chance to start on the outside
    EJ Gaines - The man opposite of J Ramsey, he sees more targets his way because of JR but still is a big contributor in the secondary
    Morris Claiborne - guy had his struggles early in his career learning the pro game but has been a solid addition to a Jets team that has been going nowhere for a while
    Darquez Dennard - hasn't been able to get out of the slot in Cinci. Was a supposed target of the Steelers in the 2014 draft but we took Shazier 9 picks before he went.

These are the only CBs under 30 that I could see the Steelers trying to sign.
    Roby would be ideal I think just cause I think he has more potential than the others and would want to get out of a declining Denver team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. chitown steeler3

Feb 25, 2013
    The OLB class is less than impressive, and the couple names that would be nice to have are probably going to get top dollar from a few teams with a lot more cap space.

Dee Ford 28yo - One of the only true sack producing OLB in this group. Doubtful he'll leave KC
    Za'Darius Smith 26yo - the guy produces for our rival. Would be nice to get him to change colors.
    Preston Smith 26yo - doubtful the Skins let him leave with the season he's having
    Shaq Barrett 26yo - Solid rotational guy in Denver behind Miller and Chubb, plus he's already played for Porter
    Shane Ray 26yo - another solid rotational piece behind Miller and Chubb. Has had a few injuries that limited him.
    Anthony Bar 27yo - has been playing in a 4-3 but was projected as a 3-4 OLB coming out of college, may not fit though.
    Elijah Lee 23yo - has some production as a 7th rounder for a bad San Fran defense. Might be worth a flier.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Foster doesn't move well so he rarely pulls and he is rarely found down field blocking. He is capable in pass protection but he is not a mover in the run game. I saw a statistic that he was one of the worst OG's in the NFL last season.

I like how Foster was an undrafted free agent and made the team and does well for what he is asked to do but he is paid what he is worth and that is about $2m a year. If he wants $3m a year then I would be okay with that but if he wants more then I would let him go. We have Finney and Feiler who can step in and play just as well at any time.

6. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    You mean like TJ Watt?

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They will use it to tag Bell next year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No. Like Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree.

9. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    So you only judge in hindsight. That's a very feminine thing to do. Women like to sit back and say nothing at first and let the man make all the decisions and then they criticize the man of the house when things go wrong.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Haden signed a 3 year deal with the team

11. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Pay hilton for sure. For sure keep bud one more year on the option. Extend Ben. Any CB that is at least above average is gonna cost a ton. You might be able to find an aging LB that can still produce for a decent one year deal.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    next year will be his final. :cool:

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I know, let it play out then. They shouldn't re-sign him either, maybe a one year deal after that. He will be 30, and has had some injuries.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's also been our best DB. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't care, after the 2019 season he will be 31, I'm not giving him a multi year contract after that.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm glad its not your call then. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Darby tore his ACL Sunday.

Isn't Gaines plays for the Browns. Bouye is the cornerback opposite Ramsey, though he has been out since Week 8 with a calf injury. He will probably return Sunday.

18. chitown steeler3

Feb 25, 2013
    Didn't know that on Darby. Still been a guy on the up swing. Track records on ACL recovery have been good recently so we would be taking a leap of faith that he could recover. If it's a 1yr prove it contract for him I think it would be well worth it.
    You right on Gaines. Got the list of names from some sight that said potential FAs 2019. Don't remember which but I messed up who he played for. Don't know how that got in my head he was with the Jags. Regardless of what team he plays for he is a solid CB that we should look into.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The resident psychiatrist is at it again. According to you... I'm not manly enough because I judge current and former players on their performance to date. You voted for Trump, didn't you? I bet the mid-terms pissed you off. :icon mrgreen:

Since you're gonna diagnose me... I'll diagnose you. I bet you own a lot of guns to compensate for your micro penis. I only have 2... a Glock 22 and a Ruger SP101.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm glad it's not your call either :shrug:, if Haden is still playing good and is healthy in 2019, then offer him a 1 year deal after that.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    or risk losing the guy that has finally helped bring this group together. he's 29 right now. we have a lot of guys older than that playing at a high level. :cool:

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If they offer Haden a contract, typically the would do 2 years.

24. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

I call it as I see it.

And I'm a Democrat but I agree with the Republicans on a lot of things. I was not happy about my choices for President so I reluctantly voted for Hillary. I thought Trump would cause too much trouble with our allies, which he is, but Trump is definitely getting my next vote because he is making people a lot of money. In eight years of Obama the stock market went from 14,000 to 18,000. In almost two years of Trump the stock market went from 18,000 to 26,000.

The mid-terms didn't do anything but give the ultra-liberals at CNN a little bit of hope but I was upset about the new California governor because he is way too liberal for me and doesn't have any new ideas. Extreme liberals always want to blame someone else for problems instead of accepting things as they are.

And I don't have any guns, never needed one, well, except to put down a deer who broke her leg in the fence but I had a neighbor come over and do that.

TheMatrixHasYou
    This message by TheMatrixHasYou has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 3
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree... Trump will win in 2020 if the economy keeps booming. People vote with their wallets/pocketbooks in mind. A lot can happen between now and November of 2020. I remember in 1990... everybody pretty much assumed GHW Bush would win in '92 and look what happened. Trump may get "primaried" too... something to watch out for.

Trump should get all of the Bush states in '04... that's his path to victory. Florida and Ohio. He doesn't need to win WI, MI and/or PA again.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    HeinzMustard
    This message by HeinzMustard has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 3