1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tran tag and trade?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blake duerden, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The collective bargaining agreement specifies franchise/transition player “designation”. Designation is independent of acceptance of the tag tender. A franchise tag on Bell next year would be his third.

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They will make some cuts and restructures of course.

3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Not gonna happen. Because then they force themselves to pay him if a trade doesnt happen.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You really think no one would trade for Bell? You spent all year talking about how great a player he is.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Never said they wouldn't. But why trade for a player you could have gotten for free and sign for the offer you deem best. Also no way pitt if they cant trade him keeps him so it will just be a matter of playing hard ball.

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    By the time he plays again he will have been out of football for 18 months, so who ever signs him will have to give him a big work load in preseason to get him half way in shape to play in a regular season game and with all that time off he could get injured in preseason, his legs wont be used to the stress on his ligaments and tendons to hold up early on, he's a risky guy for any team to sign him to a big contract.....

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ap missed a lot of time and was older. Beast mode sat out a year..

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What the what! LOL You absolutely implied it. TWICE!

As for the rest, not really sure what point you are trying to make but teams negotiate with players under the transition tag all the time. Just means Steelers have a chance to match.

9. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    First of all... stop with the misinformation. The Steelers offered Bell a 5 yr 70 mil 10 guaranteed, not 33. At least if you're going to rag on a man get your facts straight, or else just stick with the butthurt insults. You dont look any more respectable, but at least you dont look like a liar in the process. I mean, have some integrity or stop throwing stones. You pick. Everytime you guys bring up the terms of the contract you switch the numbers to make it look like the organization shot him a fair deal.

Bottom line, ask yourself this: If your employer was offering you a $100,000 contract for 2019, but another company was offering $1 million if you sat out of the workforce until 2020, what would you do? It really isn't more complicated than that.

The Steelers havent lost anything in this deal. They tried to be slick and string him along using the franchise tag and he played them. He doesnt owe the organization anything and the organization doesn't owe him anything and most important of all he doesn't owe the fans anything. He wasnt even under contract! Come to find out the guy was essentially a free agent from the time he refused to sign the second tag. People are claiming he looks dumb for passing up 14.5 mil. Would you pass on 14.5 to be guaranteed 45??

I hope Conner continues as he has in the first part of the season. The Steelers have been extremely fortunate that Conner has turned out to be the diamond in the ruff that he has, but be careful that you put all your eggs into one basket. No one expected from Conner what he has done this year. He hasn't made it through a full season either and was hurt every other touch last year. I hope his concussion isnt a sign of things to come, but know he's on pace for 372 touches this year. We'll see how his body holds up, because once he goes down the Steelers are screwed.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    But most of the times teams want to keep the player but at the same time are letting him test the market and they match to keep him. Not to try to play pride and get something for him. Time to let this go. This is a unique situation from top to bottim.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Has nothing to do with pride, has to do with improving the team.

As I said, if the Steelers put the transition tag on him, it's for one of two reasons.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Why didnt the Redskins slap the transition on kirk. They must certainly could have gotten far better compensation for a top 10 qb than for any rb? They saw they werent going to pay him and decided to let the situation go. No since into keep dragging things out.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Redskins are the measuring stick for excellence?

I'll trust in the Steelers.

14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Since you want to go there. Show me where new England has done this with a franchise tag situation who has owned us and been far more successful than us the last 20 years. I knew you were going to pull that card.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We’re gonna tranny tag him then bail? Lol

In all seriousness let’s just cut ties with this one. No sense in any more Bell drama than we’ve already had.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What star player on Bells level in his prime did they not tag and just let them walk? If they did, they are fools. Tag is at a teams disposal, why not use it.

And I’ll see your 20 years and raise you 50. I’ll trust in the Steelers. You can slobber on NE’s jock if you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    So the team is just supposed to let him go and get nothing in return just because he wont agree to the franchise tag offer? Just like this deal with the cap increasing, it slants all the benefits over to the player and none to the team. That does not seem very fair especially given that the team stuck with him through 2 suspensions.

That still makes no logical sense. None of this makes any sense at all. If a player refuses to sign his franchise tag it should not count as a tagged year. If a player refuses to play, which is his right to do, he should get nothing. You didn't do anything so why should you get anything? The more I understand how the system works the more I am convinced that the whole "player is abused by owner" narrative is a big con.

18. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I think I'd include the Colts with so much cap space.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    This is not the same nfl it was 50 years ago. And I never said dont use it but to keep tagging him in this situation is just sad and looks like the team just won't move on. Why even go through that fiasco again. Let him be a free agent. He obviously no longer wanted to be in pitt so let it go. And what star player on Bell's level have we've ever seen go through this type of franchise tag fiasco and the contract situations.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Colts wouldnt be a bad fit. Luck has been quietly balling this yr and they have an outside shot of getting that last wildcard slot. It will probably come down to them and tennessee.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm referring to their excellence in running an organization. How the game has changed doesn't effect that. They are a top notch organization from top to bottom.

Maybe they will let them go, the report could be wrong but I could care less about Bells desire to be a FA. If the Steelers think they can improve the team by tagging him again, whether that be by retaining his services or trading him, so be it. Bells desires shouldn't factor into that one bit. He was more than willing to let the team suffer until Conner threw a wrench in his plans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Wow. That's some pretty cold thinking there. And by cold I mean devoid of any passion which is an odd thing for sports. First the team stuck with him through two suspensions so a little reciprocation is not that much to expect. Second, he doesn't owe the fans anything? Without the fans he'd have no job. That's the biggest point ignored by all this "football is a business" talk. Fans are taken for granted and it isn't right. Bell may not care about winning, but the fans do. I do not believe I have ever heard a fan cheering for a team to have the highest paid RB. I am pretty sure they cheer for winning. So yes, I think he owes the fans something. Third, I'd like a source on your contract info because everything I saw pointed to more than 10 mill guaranteed. To be fair here are my sources:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...ded-as-much-as-20m-guaranteed-nfl-news-rumors

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, the transition tag allows him to be a FA. He can negotiate with anyone he wants.

25. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Good point. Back in the WWII days, college standouts like Glen Davis had a long layoff due to the war. When they finally got to the NFL they found their legs were gone and they never returned to prior form. I can see that being a risk for Bell.