1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Connor? Injured?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Trellaine, Nov 9, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    even conner heard a bell ringing. :facepalm::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Has anyone heard anything about Conner? I'm guessing no news is probably good news in this regard. The long break definitely helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure they missed any obvious signs or he skimmed by the evaluation but if you watch his last carry of the game you can easily see he wasn't right...

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Tomlin has a noon press conference today. Should hear something then. He came to the Pitt game Saturday and was a honorary captain. He looked totally fine to me.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He is still in the protocol per Tomlin''s press conference today.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Takes a little while, you got to pass all the impact tests I believe. Hopefully he's OK. But even if he has to miss a week, I'm OK with that as long as he stays healthy long term is the key.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He's expected to practice tomorrow although he is still in the protocol.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    unfortunately he is still under concussion protocol. If he does not practice tomorrow it's unlikely he will play

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    When did you graduate Medical School?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Friday practice is the one you need to participate in to be able to suit up Sunday. I’d be surprised with the longer layoff between games if he doesn’t get right by then.

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    good point.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    According to Tomlin being able to practice is part of the protocol and since we haven't practiced until we do tomorrow,he remains in protocol. Probably along the lines of what your saying but practicing is specifically part of it so he can't be cleaned until he does....

• Like Like x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah I was going to say since they had 5 days off with no team related things going on leaving him in the protocol hurts nothing. However it does add to the gamesmanship with the Jags. Have to prepare in case he is or isnt.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Question is do we have enough with our current stable of RBs? We really need to decrease Conners workload. Can Samuels and Ridley step up? I like Samuels but I still think he's a year away and has to get his body in NFL shape this offseason. I like Ridley as well. He runs hard but there seems to be a drop off in blocking when he enters the game or it could be just a matter of the D knowing he's probably gonna get the ball when he's in the game.
    I think now that they know Bell for brains is completely out of the picture we will start to see even more creativity from Fichtner. He now knows he needs to keep Conner strong down the stretch by lessening his workload. I think we see more of Nix and personally I would love to see more 3 TE looks with McDonald playing a H back role. I'm salivating from the thought of the creative things we can do with that. I think Grimbles abilities are being under used and he can become a weapon in the passing game with all 3 TEs on the field. The lack of production from the 3 rd WR spot can be overcome by using the TEs.
    Whatever it is we have to do to preserve Conner needs to be done....

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well they had no choice but to leave him in the protocol because he can't pass protocol without returning to practice. Which like you said we haven't done yet....

16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Read an article today that was saying they should bring in CJ Anderson... I honestly don't know if he's an upgrade over Ridley at this point in his career. He's been decent especially early in his career but I don't know if he be worth a Ridley roster cut. Kind of a toss up. I'm also not convinced the Steelers are willing to think outside of their one horse box. Forget the creativity of introducing a 2 back system which in my opinion could've been crazy with Bell and D will... I just don't see them being cautious or creative with multi back scenarios even in a preservation/keep the others involved type scenario(s).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If JC isn't a go for this Jag game, I would like to see what Ridley can do when he gets the bulk of the carries. He just seems like an "in the groove" type RB, as opposed to the come in every so often type. Most RBs are like that anyway. But it seems like the coaching staff is favoring Samuels right now so I guess we'll see come Sunday.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If they are thinking of adding more depth in a just in case type of scenario I would hope that there is something other than CJ Anderson or Fitz in contention. Some one who at least at one time was a game changer or who was hard to play against. Not sure there is really anyone out there like that but I hope they turn over some rocks and don't settle

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You've got an opponent that thrives on turnovers and a back with a history of not taking care of the football. That is not a good combination. I'm guessing he would split the role with Samuels. Either way, it's not a good situation.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ridley's had ZERO fumbles as a RB in the last five years. One this year on a reception. And I would trust a veteran RB over a rookie at this point. I think Samuels is improving but still think Ridley is the better back right now jmo. Probably a moot point, if JC clears. Conner is the one who needs to protect the ball, he has 3 fumbles already this year. But as its usually the case, the young RBs tend to fumble more their early years it seems. Then the NFL coaching kicks in.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I didn't need to, I learned how to read in the first grade.

"Conner was evaluated in the sideline medical tent during the third quarter of Thursday's blowout win over the Panthers and returned briefly before exiting the game early in the fourth quarter with a head injury."

"Conner suffered the injury in the team’s blowout win over the Carolina Panthers last Thursday. It wasn’t clear how injured Conner was as he left the game, headed to the tent but then returned to the game.
    However, after only a play or two, Conner left the game again and you could see Tomlin on the sidelines instructing Conner to head to the lockers."

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Conner definitely needs to do a better job protecting the ball, but he's producing enough to be worth the risk.

Ridley has only 83 carries and 104 total touches since the start of the 2015 season, so it is a bit misleading to say he hasn't fumbled in that time. Also, whether it happens as a runner or receiver, the fumble this season counts.

The last time he had 100 touches in a season, 2014, he fumbled four times.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Didn’t Ridley fumble once this season and we recovered it? Or am I remembering that wrong?

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Was that from a missed diagnosis or another hit when he came back in the game?

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think anyone knows the answer to your question, because......
    They need a more thorough process.