1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tran tag and trade?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blake duerden, Nov 14, 2018.

1. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    From my understanding the steelers could use the transition tag on Bell (10m?). Match any team, then trade to the offering team for something more then the comp pick. I dont mind the easy way by taking the comp pick but it would be juicy to get something more.

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think it is time to just stop, and let the guy go into free agency. Let him be someone else's problem.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    One huge distraction not needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. blake duerden

Aug 6, 2017
    Agree, get his jerseys of the line asap

5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Bell wants that signing bonus... Steelers would be on the hook for it before the trade.

Bell is a 3rd round comp. Nothing more. I was on record to trade him last year. I knew he would not sign this year. If he didn't like the first offer.

I can't recall every seeing a player make himself more forgettable. I think he will sign for like 5 years 60 mill.. with a 30 mil signing bonus....

30 mil plus the 12 last year..42 mil over 3 years. If you go by the rumors. The steelers offered like 15 mil.. and 33 guarantees over the first 2 years...33 plus 12...45 mil... plus the yearly.

If i were to bet. Bell will be in his 3rd team in 3 years and will never see the end of any contract. The league will see he is a talented player... but to much money.

Only place I really see him going is Green Bay. After that it's 100%money grab.. and looking bad most weeks

Hack

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    A team no one mentions is Baltimore. They will likely be cutting ties with Flacco after the season. The Ravens haven't had a feature back since Ray Rice. Rumor has it that Harbaugh is gone after this season as well. Pairing Bell with Lamar Jackson would aid with the transition into a new coach and starting QB. It is enough to make your stomach turn, but I think its a possibility.

I agree with what you said though. Bell will ultimately get a signing bonus larger than what the Steelers offered. He will end up released before he reaches the end of that contract and will be on to his 3rd team playing for peanuts within a few years.

7. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I was just reading the article on Bell on the NFL site and I need something explained to me. This part:

"...the NFL management council and the NFL Players Association agreeing the Steelers couldn't utilize the franchise tag's second-year terms for Bell in 2019..."

How in the world does Bell get to pull the crap he pulled this year and still get credit toward free agency? I would love to hear the justification that leads to him being able to be paid more next year under a franchise tag when he didn't sign this one or participate in any football activity? It is this kind of nonsense that further solidifies in my mind that the players whining about mistreatment is total nonsense. He gets credit for a year under a franchise tag that he never signed! It is completely free! Unless someone can convince me that this is fair and makes sense I call total B.S.

Now I know the Steelers wont tag him for a third time, but I can't get over how much this tag business makes no logical sense. So there was no incentive at all for him to ever report this year other than losing the 14.5 mil. And the fact that Bell didn't blink at giving up that much money this year just proves what I've been saying. He's got enough money and the whole fairy-tale about needing long term security is also B.B. He's greedy as most players who hold out are. This just ticks me off.

8. blake duerden

Aug 6, 2017
    Imagine the ravens with him and connor showing him up along with our improved D. Just another bad decision on Bell i would accept.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    At this point, he reminds me of the new Ricky Williams. THC clouds the mind.......

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If they can use the transition tag on him and it’s only $10M, I would just to F with him. That would surely drive down his value in FA just a bit as teams would have to give up a pick for him as well as the big contract.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, only 3 months to another potential tag. I wonder if any new posts pop up?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I see him actually hanging it up and retiring if he does not get what he wants. The dude is a whack job. All those years smoking pot have done him no favours lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yeah screw that.

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This. He won't sign the transition tag and then it will just be a repeat of this year. The smart move is to cut your losses when you can. Take the comp pick and move on

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Sam Quinn at 247Sports wrote an article on which teams he thinks might want to get Bell. Narrowed it to 4 teams: Bills, Jets, Texans, and the Ravens.

16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    This is what I thinks happens...In his warped mind it'll be like " Ok, Y'all wanna screw with me, I'll show ya...I'm just gonna retire".................So there!

• Like Like x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Philly is what my money is on.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Houston would be a good fit

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You only have to give up picks for the non exclusive franchise tag. Not the transition tag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It is fair because if said player wasnt afforded the opportunity to pursue offers elsewhere due to a team exclusively franchise tagging him multiple times, how can you constantly allow a team to hold his rights and force him to play there or not at all. Thats why it increases every year. So teams cant just continue to try to hold guys rights for years and years with no type of incentive on the players end. The steelers aren't the only team in football. If you and a player cant agree on something just move on like everyone else does and let him go chase(whether right or wrong he has the right to do so) what he feels hes worth.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And he held out this year because he knew the team wouldnt tag him again. No team is going to continue to tag a guy even if it was 14 million that much money if a player is not going to play for them. You realize that money must be accounted for within the hard cap and therefore limits the money for usage elsewhere. I feel as though he felt the team low balled him(whether he was right or wrong) and he held out and he knows the nfl is a desperate win now business. Some team will definitely pay him. I thought it was a bad look overall but now that I know the tag goes up I see what he did. I was very confused of his thinking up to that point.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    14.5 million. If the below tweet is true, then they either want his services or want to try and retain him so they can then trade him for more than a 3rd rd comp.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It's another re run how much the steelers have to pay him under the transition tag ,it's another 14.5 M, it isnt worth the bother in my opinion...............

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    From the Quinn article: "The Philadelphia Eagles were rumored to be interested in Bell at the trade deadline, but they have negative cap space for 2019 at the moment. The only reason they traded for Golden Tate was because they knew they wouldn't re-sign him, and would therefore get a compensatory pick after he inevitably leaves."