1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

for whom the bell tolls

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Ever see the South Park episode of Canada on Strike ?
    Reminds me of Leveon Bell at the moment.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Burns.

seriously. Ben is up. I think a couple of Offensive Linemen are due. Dupree in his contract year (not saying he should get big contract, just saying he is in contract year).

3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I immediately noticed that the account was unverified. That sent up a big red flag.

4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    The sad part is this not gona go away today, someone here will have something to say abt Bell in the weeks/days to come, and make another Bell thread. i dont believe the media will stop talking abt him either... JMO

5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The big question will be do they frnachsie him again

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'll never apologize for talking about Bell on these forums, but the reality is after today the interest of topic goes away. The Steelers are not going to tag him for 25 million, and if a transition tag was placed, the Steelers aren't going to offer what other teams are willing to.

So Bell will no longer be a Steeler

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    only way is if they can find a way to get a decent trade. I am skeptical that is possible/reasonable at this point, but I've learned never say never. Theories on using transition tag then doing some sort of match and trade are out there so maybe.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just hope this doesn't open the flood gates and this happens to multiple teams numerous times in the future, it is just bad for the game not to have their stars playing....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    If they do the transition tag he wont be traded because he can simply sign with that other team for free and pitt would have to match their offer. The transition tag gives him the freedom to negotiate with other teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think in the next CBA the franchise tag will be removed. It's the biggest joke imo in sports contract history.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    No they won't franchise him, the only question is if they let him go or transition tag him. I believe we need to see how conner finishes out the season to know that answer..... I suspect they just let him go without any further tags.

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Roll in with 26 seconds to spare?

13. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    The theory is let him negotiate his own deal, match it, then trade him. As I said, I am skeptical.

14. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    NFLPA never should have agreed to it. Hardly the best thing for a player looking to shop his wares. I suspect it will be a major issue during the next negotiation. It may not go away, but I expect it will undergo significant change.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Eh I doubt it. Because then you are forced to find a particular trade partner that will take on the deal and if you dont you are stuck with bell and the deal. Doubt that happens they will just most likely let him walk after this fiasco. I do think though they will talk about offers again though.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I see the exclusive tag going away. The transition tag and the non exclusive may stay but that's a maybe. It will be a long holdout again.

17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Nope we are done with him , "We need volontiers not hostages"

• Like Like x 1
  18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I DON'T see the franchise tags going away. It's not a bad deal to be paid as the top player at your position, while you negotiate long-term. For the most part, it's worked well...... just one bad seed that never signed his franchise tag, and a handful others that were disgruntled millionaires.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It gives teams the power to handicap players from signing deals elsewhere. For the most part, most other teams let guys go after the 1st tag when they see they cant agree on a long term deal. Only guy I can recall being tagged twice is kirk cousins and he plays the position with the longest career and highest paid salary.

20. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I'm not sure I know all the rules but why wouldn't they franchise tag him again? As far as I know the franchise tag would be the same as it is this year and if they were willing to pay the tag this year why not next year? I would franchise tag him out of spite until he shows up or it will be like rewarding him for sitting out an entire year waiting for free agency.

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    We tagged Jeff Reed two years in a row.

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We used the tag twice on Max Starks as well. One transition, and one franchise.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    As I said, I am skeptical. I think there is significant risk there as you say.

24. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Bell is going to look so good with the 49ers/Colts/Browns (please God no) next year

25. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    That is the big question right now...is it the same "level" as this year's tag or does it escalate to the third tag level? A month ago people thought it was the former. Now most seem to report the later.

Tagging him out of spite is a waste of time and team resources. They guy already penalized himself to the tune of 14M plus the delta of what was offered by the Steelers last year and what he was paid last year. If he recoups that, I'd be amazed.