1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OLB Chase Winovich

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TheMatrixHasYou, Nov 12, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

Chase Winovich, DE/OLB, Michigan

Height: 6-2. Weight: 258.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
    Projected Round (2019): 2-3.

In 2018, Winovich has 46 tackles with 10.5 for a loss, 3.5 sacks and one pass batted. He dominated Notre Dame to open the season. All night, Winovich showed serious speed off the edge with the athleticism to dip underneath blockers and the strength to fight off the hands of blockers. Winovich is able to use his hands and feet at the same time while seeing the field well. With his non-stop motor, Winovich pursues plays all over the field. His physical look and style of play resembles Packers linebacker Clay Matthews. Sources are projecting Winovich to the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft.

According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Winovich checks in at 6-foot-2, 258-pounds with 31.88 inch arms, 10 inch hands, and a wingspan of 78.63 inches. They have him running the 40-yard dash in 4.70 seconds.

Winovich was a gritty defender who was always around the ball for the Wolverines in 2017. He had an excellent season, totaling 79 tackles with 18 tackles for a loss, eight sacks and two forced fumbles. He had five sacks in the previous season. Given his length and weight issues, Winovich might be better off moving to 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Plus he is a local PGH kid.

3. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I just watched a highlight film of DE/OLB Chase Winovich.

Here's what I think: very slow first and second step, playing speed can be slow if he's diagnosing plays too much, can play left and right side, has a very good motor, can get off blocks well, good run defender, good at diagnosing plays, plays strong, can overpower some college tackles, sure tackler, will chase players down field but it takes time for him to get up to speed, did not drop into coverage.

I think his 40 time will be fine, 4.78, but his first ten yards is going to be slow. I love his hustle and his reliable tackling but he will need to learn to drop into coverage. All in all, I think he's a high 2nd round guy that we would have to take with our 1st round pick if we went to get him.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not a big 10 fan. But he is local so I root for him.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not interested, there will be better OLB talent in the draft. Where was he when Michigan defense gave up 62 points to Ohio State?

6. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    He's not someone I'd take with a first or second round pick.

Pass.