1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dez Bryant In Contract Negotiations with Saints

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dez drops a lot of passes. Attitude of a crazy man. No thanks.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dez has never gotten much separation though. He's a physical beast who gets position on the DB and simply wins the fight for the ball. That's always been his game. Romo could put the ball where Dez had a chance at catching it. Dak couldn't. That's a big reason why Dez fell off the last few years. A guy loses speed but the strength doesn't go away. Dez can still win battles for the ball just like he did before. He's not as fast as he once was so YAC won't be high for him, but speed isn't everything.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You obviously haven't seen Dez play the last few seasons, he dropped more passes than just about any other receiver.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Had him on my fantasy team the last couple years so I watched him a fair bit. He had his struggles for sure, but I'm just saying that separation was never his strength. He was a far better WR last year than most are giving him credit for, he just didn't have a QB that could get him the ball, although yes, he also had too many drops. There can be reasons for drops though. It's not like Dez simply forgot how to catch the ball.

In 2017, the percentage of catchable pass targets for Dez was 59%. From 2012-2014 it was 70%. Last year, AB was at 71%. AJ Green with crappy Andy Dalton was at 70%. The quality of the passes thrown to Dez are nowhere near as good as many of the other top WR's in the league.

On top of that, with the ball in his hand, Dez is a beast. He's very hard to bring down and despite not being a burner, he's one of the more dangerous WR's with the ball in his hand. Last year, Dez forced 0.2 missed tackles per reception. AB forced 0.11. Julio was also 0.11. Both those guys are very dangerous with the ball but Dez forces about twice as many missed tackles as they do.

Dez is no longer an elite WR, I fully admit that. A lot can change in a year, but I think we're about to see that Dez still has a lot left and he's still a pretty good WR. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly come back in here and admit it.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Nope, I’m not. He’s not the sharpest tool in the shed. And his ticket for reckless driving doesn’t help him in looking smart.

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Dez might be out for season with possible achilies injury , :cool:

7. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I just got an alert that they fear he ruptured his Achilles in practice.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Talk about bad luck but thats what can happen when you aren't in football shape. Working out is all well and good but its not the same.

On a side note, took a gamble and snatched him up in FF when I made this thread, figured he was worth the risk and could be a good red zone target. Saints get down there quite a bit. Oh well. I hear they might go after Marshal now, maybe I'll take a flyer on him.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    If I was "tenacious" I'd lamely start another Bell thread in Steeler Talk but instead I'll just bury it back here on page 3 of the Dez Bryant General NFL Forum thread where it deserves to be - if this Dez incident doesn't get Bell's attention about potential physical and $$$$ consequences of sitting out for extended periods, I guess nothing will. For a while I was rationalizing in my mind that having Bell show up at mid-season or later might be a good thing relative to the freshness of his legs and providing a super-charged spark down the stretch and into the playoffs, but what just happened to Dez is a more likely scenario for Bell if/when he returns this year, knowing his injury history. His superb effort against J-Ville in the playoffs last year was quite commendable, but he was in great game shape at that point and nothing could overcome how the D performed that day.