1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Apparently Bell does not have to report this season at all

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Nov 5, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Gonna have to agree with Glenn on this one.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    If he doesn't sign his tag by the deadine he'll be ineligible to play the remainder of this season. I'm worried about the exact wording though. Even if he's ineligible to play, what's to stop him from deciding to sign after the deadline? The team would then have to either pay him millions of dollars to sit on the bench or rescind his tag and forfeit the comp pick. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think it's safe to say Bell will never be a Steeler again so now all we have left is to follow him on another team and hope it is a team with an offensive line like the NY Giants have. Then he'll realize it's not all him.

4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m pretty sure a team can’t put a guy on the roster if the NFL says he’s ineligible to play in the NFL. (And the player agreed to those terms.)

5. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Have you read the CBA? Not trying to be a jerk but I want to know whether you know this from your own information or whether you are just repeating what the media has been saying. As I said before it is not clear to me that the media is correct in that if Bell does not sign the franchise tender by the deadline and is tagged again next year that the tag amount will not go up. What I have read is that he language in the CBA says "designated" as a franchise player. It does not apparently say anything about him signing the tender. So I am not convinced the tag amount stays the same if he does not show up as the next time he is tagged will be the third time he is designated as the franchise player regardless of whether he signs this year or not. I'd really like to hear that from someone who has actually read the relevant sections of the CBA.

6. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Would you be more pissed at Bell if Conner wasn't performing well? the way Conner has played, I forgot about Bell.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Psst...what does "scintillating" mean? Sounds like something that happens when I have bad gas!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    blame the dog. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Not the non exclusive tag. Nobody could talk to him and try to workout a long term deal/trade. That's the thing the Steelers never actually tried to trade Bell because they wanted him to be apart of the team and he must have relayed the same information back to them. I mean it's kind of obvious he doesn't want to be traded or he would have signed the tag before the deadline and demanded a trade. Steelers didn't realize until he lied to the captains and no showed this whole season he didn't want to be apart of the team and there's nothing they could do to trade him. They can actually work on a trade this off-season.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They already put the franchise tag on Bell. That's what the other person said anyway.

11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I think we’re aggressively agreeing! Designating and accepting a tender are different things in the CBA. There’s at least an argument, however, that the section discussing the club’s options with a non-reporting franchised player uses “re-designate” to mean reapply the same tag (rather than the next one in the series). Ultimately, though, I suspect a 2019 franchise tag would be his third, regardless of what goes down by 11/13.

(I’ve read the CBA so many times that Safari/Chrome have it in my frequent pages section. And FWIW, I’m an attorney. Even worse, I’m a patent attorney. Convoluted, arcane language is the song of my people.)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, there's two. Exclusive and non exclusive. Pretty sure he was talking about non exclusive.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My money is on Bell showing up on Monday & the media circus commences. I don't think he will personally be a locker room cancer but the media will.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If he does show up, hopefully Tomlin will sit him until December at least. There's no way he could be in game shape.

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    But then there'd be no "Hey look at me! Hey Look at me! Hey look at me!" :roflmao:

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think he decided long ago to sit the year out. Probably smoking some weed along with having some fun. I understand his side of the argument. Also, the market for RB`s had a reset higher while he sat out, sort of proving him right. We lucked out with Conner. A win-win. He gets a year vacation and later, more money with somebody else. We get a young bull RB with many years of potential play time instead of getting stuck with a huge contract and an older RB. I`m happy.

17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    My money is on him going to philly. And san fran are actually on the come up. Shanahan is a good coach.

18. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I wonder how many teams have given him the wink wink nod nod? We offered the Steelers this and that for you but they wouldn't deal. Him or his agent has some thing under the table for next year. That's fine, if you don't want to be s Steeler then hit the road Jack. No one guy makes us the team we are.

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Not going to start another damn bell thread.... but here's a nice summary by Fowler of the situation.

Correct, bell doesn't "have" to show up at all this season, but the Steelers retain his rights and could franchise him at the same price as this season (although it's very unlikely because of Conner's performance). If he does show up, they could still transition tag him but it's unlikely because they'd lose a comp pick on his departure. Likely result is they let him go into free agency in 2019 to move on from the drama.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...-he-gets-to-free-agency-tag-implications-more

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d like to give him the kick kick punch punch.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If that article is correct, and it seems well written, it sums it up nicely. Apparently some of what I have read is not accurate. I thought if it was on the Internet, it was true?

• Like Like x 1
  22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Just wanted to say that I didn't mean to be aggressive. Sorry if it seemed that way.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    nice chevelle. :cool:

24. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Thanks much!. It's a 71 totally rebuilt front to back. Go Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    At first glance I thought that was a Goat, nice job on that though!