1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Apparently Bell does not have to report this season at all

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Nov 5, 2018.

1. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    "Bell does not have to report to the Steelers by a certain date to get an accrued season to become eligible for free agency, contrary to what ESPN and others previously reported. Bell already has played the four-plus seasons he needs to become a free agent after the season."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25187177/leveon-bell-talked-steelers-unlikely-report-week

So there is literally no reason for Bell to play at all this year. So ride or die with Conner, Ridley and Samuels. I like it.

Bye bye Bell. Enjoy sucking in San Francisco.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yes but he runs the risk of being franchised again for the same amount as this season I believe. But, ain't no way Steelers are going through all this over again.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Great. Another Bell thread.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Despite your sniveling remark, this is actually new information -- information that drastically changes the situation. Before this we all assumed he HAD to report by Week 10 to accrue a season toward free agency.

But please, keep up your scintillating wit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who cares?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

New information that couldn't be lumped in among the 40 other Bell threads?:huh:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I suggested this might be the case. The media has not been accurate in how they have been reporting the situation. It is possible the tag this year counts whether he signs it or not and that tagging him again would increase the amount. I don't believe the CBA says anything about the tag having to be signed. It just says the player is "designated" the franchise player or some such wording.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    No we didn't all assume that. I didn't believe it. I was skeptical. And it isn't really about accruing a season towards free agency. That is irrelevant. He already reached free agency but was tagged. The issue is whether the tag amount jumps next year whether he signs this year's tag or not. It is possible it does jump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There was an article a while back that said the Steelers stated they would in fact tag Bell again next year.

Yes, this could have been part of one of the other Bell posts. Unless of course, the OP is starved for attention.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Definitely starved for attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

If Bell doesn’t show he risks going through the exact same situation next year. The Steelers can franchise him again for the same amount or or use the transition tag. The Steelers are holding the winning hand here.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Bell does have to show up this year or he is f-----

13. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Didn't he tweet "adios Miami" or something like that today.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t think so.

15. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Whatever keeps bell away from the Steelers I'm all for it.. If he comes back abs gets the starting job back everyone at Heinz field should just chant Conner's name the entire time

16. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    There was something on the nfl channel about it but I was only halfway listening. Wasn't sure if I heard it correctly or not.

17. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Actually he posted an Emoji saying Bye Bye to Miami.

I should have started another Bell thread for that topic though just to keep the rhythm going.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If I were the Rooneys, I would slap the franchise tender on him. Someone is likely to bite.

Just has to be the right price for both parties involved.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They have to. They could at the very least get a 2nd this year. Why wait for a potential 3rd in 2020?

• Like Like x 1
  20. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Does he need to show soon for service credit/pension purposes?

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There you go with that scintillating wit again :rolleyes:

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He just needs to continue taking his agents bad advice and shelve it for the season. I'm sure he'll show up though and it will be interesting to see how the team responds. He is not the starter here anymore sans injury he gave that up. He is a weapon that if played right could help the team but that's up to the coaches and their game planning and after having him and D will available, I have no faith that they know how to utilize the endless opportunities of an imaginative 2 back set.

I'm more worried about him coming in and acting alpha and causing bull**** in the house. If they truly give him and his agent what he wants, he'll spell James to keep his workload down and embrace it. Only upside is if outside of injury, randy gets nuts with the playbook and maximizes both horses in some new not seen packages coming down the home stretch.

This cat ain't nowhere near ready for balling and that's where I fear his stupidity shows up and starts pecking at his ego... Team doesn't need that. Already been through the growing pains that are still there as a team and don't need to start it over but it can be positively cultivated if his heads right... Asking for a lot but either way we shall see!

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Didn’t they already do that?

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    It isn’t new. I’ve posted it numerous times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Even if he does report, all that stuff can still happen. The only difference is the amount of a franchise tag tender.