1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Really?!?!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dexter402, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Mike in defensive meetings for the Colts: "Oh wow. This is completely different than how Coach Butler taught us. Yes this actually looks like it could work."

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    How many celebrations did he have after 25 yard gains for the offense?

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm going to guess not as many as you're suggesting

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Good for Mitchell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Good for him. I'm sure he's having fun on a defense that's even worse than the Steelers

8. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I said it last year, but I think he was injured for quite a while and never really recovered last year. Not that his entire Steelers' career was amazing, but dude was better than what we saw.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're blaming Butler for Mitchell being a garbage player :facepalm:, Mitchell ran his mouth too much and couldn't back it up with his play :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah cause it was Butlers fault that Mitchell was so slow when he was suppose to be play over the top help...........:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not saying your completely wrong and I haven't delved into the Mitchell situation in Indy but it could be entirely possible that maybe Mitchell isn't being asked to play single high safety,a role he was completely un equipped to play whether it was injury or skill related. Butler/Tomlin putting him in a position to fail warrants blame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Mitchell also didn't get to play against a terrible offense run by a quarterback who had just been signed off the couch two weeks earlier last season. That helped Mitchell a bit last week, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Mitchell himself was signed off the couch as well and we've played some pretty terrible QBs in his tenure here. After looking in the situation more closely it appears he was asked to play very little single high in the game and was mostly SS and in two safety deep looks. Now if you wanna say Butler/Tomlin didn't have any other options it could be said but to continue to pound a square peg into a round hole clearly wasn't the answer either. It's their jobs to come up with a solution to minimize the damage of a position of weakness. I remember Troy Brown playing CB for the Pats and playing it well....just sayin'.
    It was clear to everyone Mitchell couldn't get it done as a single high safety....everyone except the guys getting paid very well to see it and try to fix it.

17. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Glenn, is that you? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
  19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    No!!! I blaming Butler for our Garbage Defense - Secondary!!

Mitchell isn't All-pro but wasn't garbage either..... When multiple plays are called there's confusion...... When players don't know their job and others try to cover for them it creates an illusion of a player being garbage when it's really the coach!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't worry ....Glenn is just playing " Sheriff" for Halloween....just kidding Glenn.....Laborers unite :rawk::drinks:

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Congrats to Mike Mitchell. I will never quite understand the hate where MM is concerned. He was a decent player during his time here. He talked to much, but he also played through injuries. The guy was mediocre skill wise, but I never once questioned his dedication or heart. That's more than I can say for some other guys on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    apparently there's a short memory issue with steeler fans these days. MM couldn't get to the sidelines. He was getting burnt with regularity because he could not catch WR's...and that was when he wasn't out of position leaving defenders uncovered . He may very well have been injured? What ever the excuse was, doesn't matter. He was injured most of the season before as well. Mitchell's strength was that he was an awesome tackler, good at run support, and didn't make mistakes. Well last two seasons he could no longer do those things well. Sure he looked great against the Bills. Lets talk after week 16.

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Never really hated him. Was just disappointed with the performance and results too often. Whether it was injury related or not playing to his strengths. He did give his all though. Played with physicality and heart and you're right we could use that from some of our other guys. It just gets a little tiresome when your mouth is writing checks your asss can't cash. Good for him but also glad he's not still here....

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed. He was everything you said he was and wasn't. Yet he was still asked to go out and try to do things that he clearly couldn't do. Injury? Scheme? I'd say probably both and neither was under his control. Yet there he was playing a role he was unfit for.....hmmm?

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree and one of my biggest complaints was what you just said about Butler/Tomlin putting people in wrong positions. When Lebeau was here it felt like MT wanted to get away from the 3-4 but then why let Butler take over and try to run this hybrid? I know Butler was promised the job and turned down offers from other teams and I respect that but something isn't working. Not every player we bring in stinks I feel at some point the scheme/game planning whatever you want to call it has to factor in. With that said Mitchell is slow as crap and I am glad he is gone......:smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1