1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers,Bell hungup over exemption

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelcityclash, Oct 22, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I've been calling it for a while now. I did not see Bell signing before the trade deadline. If he does, it'd be because he figures there's little to no chance the Steelers could work out a trade. A trade ultimately, in my opinion, only would work out against him and his big plans for pay day.

With Conner's success; however, there might be another rut in his gameplan, because it looks now he will be splitting carries with Conner which could negatively impact his selling point on himself.

All this sucks really, as Bell is an excellent running back. I don't think he's worth 17 mil gauranteed a year for a multi year deal. I don't think a lot of other teams will see it that way either.

But it just takes one team.

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I remember watching a game a couple years ago and thinking "damn this kid is good". My next thought was payday, and for some reason I knew he wasn't going to be sticking around.

I had no idea how big it would all become though.

I just didn't think the Steelers would pay him << which in my opinion they did offering by far the largest contract to running backs in the history of the NFL at the time. They also help set Gurley's market by paying Bell the franchise tag of 14.5 mil << which he hasn't come to collect yet.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I never expected them to sign him long term. I didn't want them to sign him long term. The injury history, the mileage and two drug-related suspensions make that a very bad gamble.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I was actually cool with the offer they gave him, albeit being so high. It would have been a risk, but if I was in their position I would have done the same in trying to retain him.

I would have also done the same by not bending to this 17 mil guarantee for a multi-year contract which based on his history is a ridiculous amount of money to ask for.

I've pretty much always have agreed with how the Rooney's do business. Think they've been running one of the best franchises in the league, and it's for a reason.

I think it was a mistake for Bell not to take the deal. Hall of fame. build a statue next to Bettis. He'd of easily made multi-millions of dollars in endorsement deals with the 3 B concept if he wanted. Post career he could have had gigs lined up.

He bet on himself, and I just don't see it working out. He's lost this Steelers fan. I don't even care to see him on the field at this point. Was hoping they could work out a trade.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    His absolute deadline to sign the tender is 4pm Eastern on Tuesday, November 13th.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Bell is the best argument for re-instating the military draft, He just one of too many spoiled punks around todat?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I agree and I’m a big Bell fan. I was against all the players talking out against him, but I’m over all of this nonsense now. Show up or don’t show up I don’t care anymore. Also Conner does deserve to keep the full time running back job regardless.

8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Then if what I’m thinking is true, he would sign Oct 31st.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    And yet the Steelers offered him 70 mil, guess they thought different! It wasn't the Steelers fault there was no long term deal they made a solid offer Bell didn't want it.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The lack of guaranteed money, which is the primary reason he didn't sign, makes it clear that they saw the same warning signs.

11. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I am only a bell fan now because I have him on my fantasy team. But I would sacrifice that to see Conner as the lead back. 70-30 split and Conner gets all the goal line work. You know to preserve Bell.

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I think they feel like they made a mistake to offer him 70 Mill based on his actions and watching Conner as a decent replacement. Bell is really only hurting himself at this point. Who in their right fing mind turns down and misses 6.8 mill intentionally.

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If he waited that long, the Steelers could put him on the exempt list for 2 weeks, and Bell would only be fully paid for 5 games. Since he needs six fully-paid games to avoid a repeat of this year's tag, if Bell shows up it will be a week earlier.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Still offered him 70 that is not chump change therefore making the Steelers think more of him........

Not to mention they offered him a big contract in both off seasons! They wouldn't offer that if they didn't think a lot of him.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What makes you say that, I have not read anywhere the Steelers say that. If they felt that way I am pretty sure they would have yanked that tag and moved on. Throw in the way JC has played would be even more reason to move on and yet they haven't.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree. They probably feel like they dodged a huge bullet on this deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

What makes you and Busman say this did I miss something that was reported? I feel like if the Steelers didn't want him and felt like they "dodged a bullet" they would cut ties with him and stop the circus that is happening every week with Bell, no? I mean at this point if the Steelers are feeling the way you guys say is a 3rd round comp pick in 2020 worth all the distraction?

18. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    What circus? Just because dumbass reporters send out tweets and over-report non-news, doesn't make it a circus. Heck, I feel the team has rallied around JC and become stronger because of it.

The FO is making money each week he doesn't report and they do have the comp pick hanging out there. After the JH and Blount releases, I'm sure they feel the juice of the so called circus, is worth the squeeze.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can't speak for boss man, but nothings been reported to my knowledge. I'm just saying they're probably feeling a sigh of relief that they don't actually have to pay out that Huge contract now.
    That's just my opinion that with the way Bell has acted and the way JC has performed.
    That's not to say that they don't still want bell. Just not on the hook without large amount of money now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely possible....

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's pretty much been speculated for a couple of weeks now that he probably wasn't gonna report until after the trade deadline...so it's not a surprise he's still not here. It just gives people something to talk about when there's really nothing to talk about. It's all good....

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said they don't think he can play. I said they are smart enough to see the risk in any long-term commitment to him.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The circus of everything you turn around a player has something to say tweet about Bell. Most recently Juju tweeting how he played the lotto to play Bell. Circus/distraction same thing, if you don't think this whole Bell thing hasn't been a circus then sorry not much more I can say. Yeah the front office is making money and yeah JC is playing good but that has nothing to do with the side show in the whole Bell deal. This has been a problem all season all you have to do is look at how many players are speaking out on it.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Got ya, I don't feel that way and here is why. The Steelers knew what they were doing when they offered Bell that deal. If Bell stayed clean the Steelers would pay him, if not then the Steelers would be protected. I like the fact that they didn't offer a lot guaranteed, but they were willing to give him big money. I don't feel like they think they dodged a bullet they knew just what they were doing with that offer. JMO :smiley1:

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So they were willing to offer multi years and 70 mil but yet you say they were smart enough to see the risk.......ok