1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers,Bell hungup over exemption

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelcityclash, Oct 22, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I just think he doesn't want to be thrust into a situation where his production will plummet from playing with a team that doesn't offer what we can offensively and system wise....the smart move would be to go gangbusters for whatever he has left this season,then again smart and Bell don't really go together. I know I'm in the minority but if he is able to step on the field and pick up where he left off he could be the piece to take us over the top. There is no denying he handed the situation terribly but there is also no denying his talent ,no matter how pissed you are at him.I know it's a huge if.....we shall see.

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The team is at fault for franchising him again. Then offering him the monster deal in which he turned down. And now here we are. I do like the fact he has saved a bunch of money by not showing up and also that Conner has shown he is the future. So it's a win/win that he has stayed away.

He will stay away until the trade deadline is over. He needs to clean out his system. It's obvious. He has lost a boatload of money. And isn't that what he covets most? Doesn't seem that way now. He covets his lifestyle first. And money affords him to have that lifestyle. I question his heart for playing professional football at this point. But some team with stars in their eyes will give him more guaranteed money, sign him and rep what they sow.

Can't wait for this whole crap show to be in the rear view mirror.

3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe the league, just to be fair to everyone, should create a rule that no player has to have any touches. They can just get paid. Let's be fair to all players. I mean, we wouldn't want anyone in the league to wear themselves down now would we?

4. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I read an article this morning that stated that there are no hard and fast rules about pay during the 2 week roster exemption period. Pay for those two week is normally negotiated. That article seemed to think getting 75% of his paycheck was about the going rate. I've never read anything about this before so I have no idea if the article was correct or not.

5. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Why is this an issue? You simply insert a clause into the contract which states the Steelers will pay Bell for the two week exemption at season's end if and only if he finishes averaging more than 25 rushes per game averaging 120 yards per game and averaging 60 yards in pass reception yards per game. These are easy numbers for a $100M RB. Where is the issue? The $100M RB should jump at such a deal. :thumbs up::roflmao::hehehe:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Bell is asking for the Steelers to give him everything he wants. Including pay for allowing him to not contribute to the team. Why would we pay him to come in and not play til week ten and essentially block us for seeking any value per trade. I’d laugh his agent out of my office. You’re asking us for a favor, and leaving us the same result if he would hold out til week ten. If we were to decide to sit him in order to get in shape, it should be because it’s our choice not as a reward for joining your team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

My original opinion stands he was planning to be here opening weekend until his agent asked if he could pass the drug test. This is the only thing that makes sense to me, jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Article 20, Section 4. Roster Exemption:
    (a) Certain Players Not Under Contract. After the final roster reduction a Club must agree in writing with an unsigned player who is either an Unrestricted Free Agent, Transition Player, or Franchise Player, prior to signing a Player Contract with such player, on what compensation, if any, the player will be paid if he is placed in a roster exempt status.​

Personally, I'd pay him nothing if he doesn't sign until after the trade deadline. As it was, both sides were losing something (Bell losing money, Steelers losing Bell's on-field talents). If the Steelers lose the opportunity to trade him for something, Bell should lose something, too.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers should do anything they can to screw over Bell as long as it doesn't screw of the team in the process.

Revoking the tag screws over the team. It rewards a player for selfish behavior that hurt the team and it allows him to sign with another contender.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bell signs after the trade deadline & goes on ir due to injury. Gets hurt because he is out of football shape. My prediction

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Is this pre meditated sexism? In The very least I believe Mr. Bell might be offended with this statement of being screwed over by the front office in this do anything they can in order to achieve a said screwing him over type of scenario. Can a male levy claims of sexism against another male or group of males? I'm just curious.

Today's rules are so loose and wonky ya know?

Hahahahahahahaha just BS'n with ya scribe. Would've used the green font but alas my age dated I pad has no manners much less option to paint the verbiage as such.

I want the fool out of any headline attached to this team... Other than a stat line in a SB victory then Bon voyage! My biggest concern is he comes back and muddies waters/distribution/locker room cohesiveness etc...

12. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I don’t want him back. All that inactivity, no thanks. JC has his rhythm going, we don’t need Bell, he’s replaceable

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Does going on IR count towards free agency? Or will we be able to tag him again? But this is what I think will happen too he fakes an injury.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It seems that Bell's agent was the one to reach out to the Steelers regarding the exemption.

If I'm understanding it correctly, this is the wise move to make. If the Steelers are going to use a 2 week exemption on him and not pay him anything, it is in his best financial interests to sign week 8, two weeks before the deadline, as to minimize the amount lost. If he waits until week 10, then the Steelers use the exemption on him and refuse to pay him, he will miss 2 extra game checks, or 12 altogether.

If Im correct in my logic, he will sign week 8.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I give you high marks for concept, but not so high on execution. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This is week 8.

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    That's a whole lotta " screwing "

18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Right you are

19. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    The Steelers have to be done with this BS. If they aren’t, I’ll be shocked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Is the deadline week or game? I know I’ve seen it explained as “week” 10 but is that in reality “game” 10?

I hope I’m wrong. I’d love nothing more than fro Bell to be away as long as possible and to miss as man6 checks as possible.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I honestly don't know. This whole thing is a mess and won't end well, that I do know.

22. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    The trade deadline is nxt tuesday at 4pm if thats what your wondering

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    We're all becoming experts on the tag by default

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011