1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Bell for Patrick Peterson?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 15, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If Patriots or Cowboys get him i'll just join Real Steel

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Getting Peterson would require more then a 1st round pick i'm sure. They want picks. Can't see the brass doing this.

And hanging on to Bell for a 3rd round comp pick? In 2020? That's going to put us over the top. Just should have let him go and not franchised him. He will report getting out of the Fast Times at Ridgemont High Van. And not in football shape. Then fake an injury, so he gets his accrued season. The brass gambled, and lost. But not to worry, Conner is tearing it up, and will continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Per La Canforas report, Arizona would be looking for a 1st rd or a combination of 2nd and 3rd rd picks.

Chicago gave up 2 firsts for Khali Mack (plus a 3rd and sixth). I don't see Peterson demanding the same at this point in his career.

If all it costs is a first, Steelers would be foolish not to give that up. Especially how they struggle drafting DB's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    just look at our first rounders on defense lately? more miss than hit and you are right, especially the DB side.

Getting Peterson would make us the best NFL team of all time imo. lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That poor attempt at a tackle there may get him outta Arizona soon!
    Hahahahahahaha!

6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would think a first and a conditional would get it done...Could do a 2020 3rd and it would be the comp from Bell.

HACK

7. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Given that the need (or one of the top needs) is help in the secondary, and the they don’t draft well in the secondary anyways, giving up a first seems like a no brainer to me if that were an option.

8. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    My read on how comp picks work (cref OverTheCap) is, the new salary is the determining factor offset by who we acquire. If we acquire PP, my take is we don't get a 3rd.

Also, how do you feel about paying essentially the same price we paid to draft Troy for a guy who's got 8 years in the league? The contract he's on could be the last of his career.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Trade Bell & a first to AZ
    AZ sends Johnson to the Eagles
    AZ sends Petersen and Fitzgerald to us
    Eagles send us a second

Don’t really need Fitzgerald, but I really want him to end his career on a high note

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks for the clarification I appreciate it. I don’t know why I thought the transition tag was gone.

11. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Traded players do not affect comp picks. Comp picks are compensation for lost free agents vs gained free agents.

and I would feel ecstatic by it. How about this. What would you have traded to get Troy in his 8th year? Would you have traded more for Troy knowing what he would become? I would say we got great value for Troy. I was against the trade. I wanted to stay put and draft Nnamdi Asomugha in the first and Mike Doss in the 2nd. I thought Doss was very on par with Troy...I was wrong.

Peterson and Haden would put the Steelers in the conversation of the best CB tandem in the league.

I would offer 2 firsts for Ramsey first...and after they told me no...I would call AZ and not hang up till I worked it out.

HACK

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotcha. If LB signs nowhere though... we get bupkis, correct?

No argument we got great value for Troy and I won't waste typing singing his praises. But.... he lasted 12 years and was IIRC hurt for a bit of that.

Yeah I would love to see Peterson here (and from what I saw of his body language last night, i'm guessing he'd rather by anywhere but there! :) )

My mind is just having a hard time getting around spending a 1st and a 3rd for a player on the backside of their career. Having said that, I have an easier time making my piece with it when I think about how we've spent our spent our last 10 1st round picks... about a 50% success rate (we'll see how TE pans out).

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You have it wrong. if he doesn't sign the deal and report by the deadline, Bell will not be a free agent after the season. The Steelers would be able to tag him again at the same number as this season.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Money dump. The cards are really bad, and are probably looking at hitting the restart button. Peterson will be making 11.5 and 12 million the next two years and will be 30 by the time the contract expires. I think they are probably more interested in picking up draft picks than players, but having the opportunity to shed cap isn’t nothing. If we traded them Bell and a third or something I think we could get him. DJ could get them some picks. Might be time to liquidate and go the Browns route of rebuild and stockpile 12 picks per draft for the next few years

15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    ————————-

16. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    1st and 3rd round picks the last decade.

2008 - Mendenhall and Bruce Davis
    2009 - Ziggy Hood and Mike Wallace
    2010 - Pouncey and Emanuel Sanders
    2011 - Cam Heyward and Curtis Brown
    2012 - Decastro and Sean Spence
    2013 - Jarvis Jones and Markus Weaton
    2014 - Shazier and Dri Archer
    2015 - Dupree and Sammie Coates
    2016 - Burns and Hargrave
    2017 - Watt and Cam Sutton and Conner
    2018 - Edmunds and Rudolf and Okorafor.

I would argue only 2010 and 2017 have currently produced 2 good players.....and I think 2017 and 2018 are still to soon to tell.

But hypothetically knowing what we know as of right now.....Peterson or any one of those other years....I think I take Peterson.

So yes...you might get 2 REALLY good players...but the odds seem to be a little against it. So I will take the bird in the hand(Peterson) vs the two in the draft.

HACK