1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why the Pens taking over the city and went back to back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 18, 2018.

1. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    So you will lose hope in Colbert if he doesn't trade for a guy who, according to the team, is not available for a trade? That seems fair.

2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Everybody in the history of trades "isn't available" That's how it works in case they don't trade the player. It's not like they have a playoff shot. One of the worst teams in the league. Season over. Veteran player making 11 mill per and only has 2 more seasons after this year. They are obviously not going to be a contender in that time frame. Why wouldn't they trade him for picks to rebuild? It's not like people are saying Ramsey is on the trade block. Given all the factors you know there's some merit to it.

Colbert has to make them an offer they won't refuse. I'd do a 1st and 3rd.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why are the Steelers better positioned to make a deal than the Cowboys or Saints? The Saints are also contenders with problems on defense. They also have an aging quarterback.

The Cowboys are probably in the discussion due to Jerry Jones, who tends to be more impulsive, but their need is more on offense.

That said, what you are really dealing in here is speculation, not fact.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You do realize that trade would guarantee nothing. Yes, it would help great deal, but that defense would still have issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    1) They can offer the most because they have the best RB to trade in the off-season.

2) They have the best relationship with the Cardinals opposed to the other teams.

3) They are both off this weekend.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Of course it doesn't guarantee anything but it makes them a lot better to win now. That's the goal right? I'm not sure anymore. The window is closing. 1st round draft pick isn't guaranteeing anything lately either. Most likely he can be decent like Watt or Edmunds but not going to be pro bowl or all pro in Bens window.

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Whether it's stupid or not to not trade him is irrelevant as he's not going to be traded per report. Also a top 5 cornerback is not easy to come by in the league. Just ask the Steelers

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why would the Cardinals trade for Bell? He could be a rental and they certainly aren't contenders. They also have a running back. It's the rest of the team that is a disaster right now.

The Steelers are in no better position than any other contender that could use a cornerback, and there are quite a few.

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    :facepalm:

I'm not saying they want Bell. I'm saying the Steelers have more picks to work with and can offer more because they know they are getting some in return for Bell. It's like a wash.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not a wash. They aren't getting that type of value for Bell. Most likely, they will settle for the compensatory pick in 2020. That is not a wash with a first-round pick and a third-rounder in 2019, which was your suggested offer for Peterson.

My apologies. Your argument was actually more misguided than I realized.

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Settle. Settle. Settle. All they do. No aggressive trades and settle for comp picks. No, you place a non exclusive tag on him in the off-season. That lets everybody have a chance at him for two 1st. If nobody bites. That's when the Steelers step in and say ok, you are willing to pay Bell what he wants and he's happy. We will trade him to you for a 1st. There's the 1st they would use on Peterson.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    For once, I agree with you.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is a fantasy. The Steelers aren't getting that kind of value for Bell at this point. They don't have any great advantage in attempting to make a deal for Peterson.

14. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Zero chance they do squat until that owner croaks. They have an average QB, no receivers, and that D isn't as good as people say.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I wouldn't say they have no receivers. Beasley would be a good #3 on any team.... and Tavon Austin has speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Dri Archer had speed, too. We all saw how well that worked out. :facepalm:

17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Thing is Austin is already better than dri.

Who cares though right? Lol

Not being sarcastic

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Almost anybody is better than Archer. I was just having a little fun with that one.

Austin is certainly better than Archer, but he's not good. The guy has caught only seven passes for 130 yards this season. He can be explosive. Most of his yardage this season came on two long receptions, a 64-yard touchdown against the Giants and a 44-yard catch against the Texans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :rolleyes:

Tavon Austin > Dri Archer

• Like Like x 1