1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why aren't we using Edmunds to cover TEs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 17, 2018.

1. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    When he was drafted all the buzz was about how he was big/fast/strong enough to match up with TEs that traditionally kill the Steelers....Gronk, Kelce, Olsen, Graham, etc

However almost halfway through the season we are never seeing Terrell used to cover TEs. Instead we have slow-as-frozen-molasses Vince Williams covering them. Why?

I thought the whole point of reaching for a guy like Edmunds (who was projected by many mocks to be a 3rd or 4th rounder) was to use him as a "Gronk killer".

Why not give him a shot at that? His weakness is instincts. His strength is speed/size. Let him turn off his brain and just shadow the opposing team's #1 TE.

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I feel like Sutton did a solid job covering the TE on Sunday. Maybe they feel like Sutton is better suited to do it right now.

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    inb4glenn lol

because maybe he is just not up to the task... yet

4. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    what is the inb4glenn meme?

5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    because he is going to attack you lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Typical authoritarian behavior.

• Like Like x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the safety we signed via free agency being injured.

Derp
    Derp
    Derp

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Cinci's TE's are terrible. I don't think Sutton is the answer

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Uzomah isnt Gronk, but he aint bad. I thought Sutton looked pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm thinking it's a combination of him still learning the defense, and we haven't had to do this based on the TEs we have faced.

11. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Mcdonald prolly flattened him acouple times in practice

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    imo Vance could be a top 5 TE if he put glue on his gloves. Dude is a monster

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We don't cover the te, haven't for years now. Part of Butler's grand scheme.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Kelce is arguably the second-best tight end in the league behind Gronkowski. If Edmunds really was some great weapon in coverage against a tight end, that would have been the time to use him for that purpose.

Tight ends have been abusing the Steelers this season, as usual. Edmunds clearly is not an answer, at least not yet.

As third-string tight ends go, Uzomah is decent. I don't know where people get this idea that Sutton did well against him Sunday. He broke up one pass for Uzomah. The rest of the day, Uzomah was beating him.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I forgot about Kelce :hardrock:

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Totally agree. This guy was s seventh rounder or a UDFA at best.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the original plan was to use him sporadically in specific sub- package situations but the Burnett injury has forced him onto the field more than they would like and right now they are using him in a position to try and protect his exposure to certain situations. I don't think we will get a good read on him until Burnett becomes a more consistent participant or maybe not until next season....
    We have guys that have been here for years and they are still misused and confused....

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Given the circumstances, Terrell's development has been rapidly accelerated; perhaps a bit too much overall.

Within that same level of context, while Terrell himself does need to get better in the specific aspects of his game overall, Keith Butler is not doing him any favors at all; the defense overall no less.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    That was going on long before Butler but he's kept the tradition going for sure. Decent TE's have been giving this D fits for decades... Namely on 3rd and long

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This story has no reporting at all, though it is designed to appear as if the writer actually did some of his own legwork. He took two quotes from the Trib story and threw in a heavy dose of his own speculation all so he could take a shot at the team's record signing free agents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He hasn't dropped a pass this season. 20 receptions, 0 drops. :yeehaw:

• Like Like x 2
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Boy you sure do love to rank the Tight Ends. Except you rarely rank them right. Uzomah is not a 3rd string TE. Hes their starter. Here is the official depth chart of the Bungals.

Sutton didn't just break up a pass. He had solid coverage on Uzomah, who is a much larger man, all day long. Not saying Sutton is the next Rod Woodson or anything But why not give credit where credit is do. Baby steps.

https://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I do love when people try to correct me and demonstrate their ignorance in the same post.

Tyler Eifert is the Bengals' starting tight end. He is out for the season. Tyler Kroft is also injured and missed the game against the Steelers. That elevated Uzomah, which is why I referred to him as a third-string tight end.

Uzomah had caught nine passes for 117 yards in the Bengals' first five games this season combined. That is an average of less than two receptions and 23.4 yards per game. Against the Steelers, mostly against Sutton, he caught six passes for 54 yards.

Sutton made a nice play on one ball intended for Uzomah and you suddenly forgot a scrub tight end making him look bad for much of the game.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hi Watt Wack :hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 1