1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So Ben isn’t a top 10 QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4124life, Oct 15, 2018.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Being that Ben's behavior wasn't always the best guy off the field, I can see why he isn't well liked by quite a few people. He really grew up and changed once he got married and had kids. Bad part was we won Super Bowls when he wasn't always the best of role models. But, Ben is still a top 10 QB in today's NFL, he sure is playing better than Eli Manning I will tell you that much.

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This thread is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I guess I need to put comprehension as another diminished skill in my "lost abilities" list. It grows longer every year, month, day, hour...where am I?

• Like Like x 3
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Roethlisberger is on the same level as Favre, Marino, Aikman, Young... great QB, but not on the level of Montana, Bradshaw and Brady.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers

Only qbs I’ll take over Ben

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As with all rankings, you can't say a guy is ranked at number X unless you can list the guys who are ahead/behind him. Rankings should account for future production as well as current production. If you were to take over an NFL franchise right now and had your choice of any QB in the league, who would you choose? An argument could be made for some or all of the guys below.

Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers
    Mohomes
    Goff
    Wentz
    Trubisky
    Matt Ryan
    Kirk Cousins
    Luck
    Stafford
    Russell Wilson

That's rankings based on if you're taking a QB to lead your franchise. If all you care about is winning this year, the only name I could see being behind Ben is Trubisky.

So yes, an argument can absolutely be made that Ben is not a top 10 QB. He absolutely was once upon a time, but the list of top QB's have grown over the last few years. Many of them are younger and playing better.

If you think Ben is a top 10 guy, who on the list would you remove to get him into the top 10?

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    How many more SB wins puts Big Ben with the elite? One? Two? More than two?

One more SB win & I put him with the elite.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    None. Ben is the same QB regardless of how many more rings he gets. Marino didn't win a ring because he didn't play for a team that was good enough. Marino is very clearly one of the best to ever play, right up there with Montana

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    An argument can be made for everyone after Wentz. I would certainly take Ben before any of those guys.

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    i would take Ben b4 Wentz

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take Ben over
    Trubisky
    Ryan
    Cousins
    Luck
    Stafford
    Wilson

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m one of the ones who said Ben was declining and I’ll stick with that based on when I said it. But after rewatching the Bengals game, I started to see a determination in Ben’s eyes on the last drive I haven’t seen in a long time. Not last year. Maybe the old boiler is starting to rumble?

Speaking of old boilers, I better go down stairs and check. I’m getting cold.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    He will tighten up. He’s had to shake the off-season rust off the past few years.

14. 4124life

Oct 15, 2018
    I’ll take Ben over Brady anyday of the week playing in Montana and Bradshaw’s eras. Game is tailor made for gunslingers today. Ben would do better than Rodgers and Brady across past eras. Tom and Aaron wouldn’t put up the numbers they do in Montana’s time, so I never understood the comparison. They couldn’t handle the pressure like Ben could. They’d be gun shy, bens a better football player than Rodgers and Brady

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your post makes absolutely no sense. Where do you get this idea that Rodgers can't handle pressure? He handles it just fine. He's a better thrower than Roethlisberger. He's more consistent. He's more agile. He plays a smarter game. He would be a Hall of Famer in any era.

Brady lacks great athleticism, but he is more accurate, smarter and far more consistent than Roethlisberger.

16. 4124life

Oct 15, 2018
    The guy put Brady in the same bracket as Montana . Rodgers is definitely legit, my point was their styles would not do as well in the 70s to 90s they wouldn’t be able to open up like they do now. Bens style is more suited for past eras than both

17. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You mean Rodgers style of accurate throws, strong arm, very mobile, athletic, fast, strong, etc. Yeah, sounds like he wouldn't do good in the 70's...

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You'd take Ben over a much younger Luck and Wilson? Guys who put up better numbers than Ben despite having terrible teams around them. I think our offence would be unstoppable if we had Luck.

19. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Rodgers, brees, and brady are better career wise. But far as who as of now would I rank over ben. Rodgers, russ wilson, mahomes, brady, brees, wentz, and Goff. Cousins is close but I would still currently take ben over him and hes still a top ten qb.

20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Rodgers probably is the best overall talent to ever play the position when you add in that he's the most accurate passer ever and he's mobile. He can play in any era.

21. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Can Ben cover TE's?

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Apparently Brady's got some homoerotic tendancies going on in the locker room.

https://youreadygrandma.com/2017/12/10/patriots-players-accuse-tom-brady-of-sexual-misconduct/

Not sure if "youreadygranma.com" is a reputable source however :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well your question was who would you take off to get Ben on the top 10. Not if you were building a team who would you want. Obviously age would play an important factor in that.

As far as play this season, yes, I think Ben is definitely better than Luck and Wilson. Luck and Ben are essentially the same QB, I just lean the needle more towards Ben. Wilson I have always felt is overrated. Good QB but definitely not Bens level.

24. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Easy
    Rodgers
    Wilson
    Wentz
    Goff
    Ryan
    Mahomes
    Brady
    Brees
    Rivers
    Luck

All have more in the tank than Ben and could at least match his production if flipped from the team they are currently on, most likely better it in most cases.
    And in the same range as Ben you've got Newton, Stafford, Smith and Cousins.

Not hating on Ben and what he's done for this franchise, but he is very near the end of his career. He can still produce and could still get one more SB victory for us because he still has that talent.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben does better than Luck or Wilson if you need a game winning drive at the end imo.