1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Bell for Patrick Peterson?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it's decided by size of contract. Bell will get a monster contract, Steelers even with 2 or 3 FA signings won't come close to what Bell will get.

But I'm not certain of that, the whole comp thing is kid of fuzzy.

Bell would not be part of a trade for Peterson, they'd want draft picks.

Bell also has no say where he is traded once he signs his tender. Also, as long as he got paid, Bell would play for the Mud Dogs even without Bobby Boucher.

2. robert1965

robert1965 Member

May 30, 2018
    Peterson is a premier corner in the league. I still feel that the Steeler's Defense is suspect in the secondary. Quite frankly, we have a limited window to get to the Superbowl. Now I understand that the Steelers usually don't do business this way, but I feel a trade for Peterson would greatly enhance our chances to get back to the big show. I think we should start a twitter and Facebook campaign to get Colbert on a trade. We almost lost at Cincinnati because of our secondary. We, as fans should demand this trade.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah I stole that pic from reddit lol. would be cool if he is coming to the burgh though

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bell has no say in the matter. If he doesn't report, he loses the year toward free agency. If he doesn't play, he hurts his value in free agency.

The Cardinals aren't trading for him anyway, but let's be clear on the rules.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Isn' the 3rd guaranteed because he is a tagged FA. That's why it's not until 2020...If it was just based on losing him as a FA wouldn't it be figured into next years comps? Also Bell isn't coming in until after the trade deadline probably because he wants to control where he goes and where he can have the most success the rest of the season. If he was traded to a bad team and looked bad it would destroy his leverage. I'm pretty sure he realizes his best chance to boost his stock would be here...

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think that goes without saying, of course he would have to report to make a trade, and of course the cards dont want him, and i'm clear on the rules genius....

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    He doesn’t need another accrued year for anything, except maybe the NFL pension or long-term healthcare plans.

He has to deliver his signed tender to NFL offices by 4pm Eastern on Tuesday, November 13. Otherwise, he’s not permitted to play anywhere for the 2018 season. But he still becomes a free agent at the end of the league year (sometime in March 2019), can go anywhere, and Pittsburgh wouldn’t get a comp pick.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not so sure about the FA part. I read somewhere the Steelers would still retain his rights and could tag him again.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Even Ben just said it would be stalwart 4 weeks until Bell is in football shape. Who would trade for that?

10. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    Sorry, I was assuming that the Steelers wouldn’t tag him if he skipped the whole year. Yes, they could use the Transition or Non-Exclusive tag.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Just in time for the playoffs. So a team with SB aspirations might.

And again, after the season, you get a window to negotiate a contract before he hits FA. Which I don't think would be that difficult for a team with cap room. Just make him the highest paid RB and a big up front money and he'll sign.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You never know, but a report says the Steelers told him during negotiations that they would do exactly that.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    And I believe he’d still only get 14.5 million. It wouldn’t go up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I feel Peterson is overrated, but another CB or Safety is definitely what I would want.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't even think you could pull this trade off in Madden

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Don't know how he is overrated, he shuts down anyone he covers. He is top 3 CB if not the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    maybe we can get Peterson so he can teach Artie Burns good technique and how not to look on some plays like Dustin Hoffman in that movie Rain Man

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He's top 10 in my eyes, but not top 3 IMHO. I guess beggars can't be choosers though... ha ha!

19. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    bad/dumb joke, no offense intended, just needed to vent frustration with Burns. I believe he can play better

20. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    $14.4MM on the Non-Exclusive Franchise; not sure what he'd get on the Transition tag.

Section 4. Required Tender for Transition Players:
    (a) Any Club that designates a Transition Player shall be deemed on the first day of the League Year following the expiration of the player’s last contract to have automatically tendered the player a one year NFL Player Contract for (A) the Cap Percentage Average of the ten largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the Transition Player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year, which Average shall be calculated using the methodology as in Section 2(a)(i)(A) above; or (B) 120% of his Prior Year Salary, whichever is greater.... For purposes of this Subsection, the “Transition Tag” for any League Year is the average of the ten largest Prior Year Salaries for players at that position (e.g., the Transition Tag for the 2010 League Year equals the average of the ten largest Salaries for the 2009 League Year for players at that position).
    (b) The calculation of any ten largest Prior Year Salaries pursuant to Section 4(a) above shall include any Player Contract amount resulting from acceptance of a Tender for the Prior Year pursuant to Section 2(a)(i), 2(a)(ii) or 4(a) above, provided that the player played the Prior League Year pursuant to such Tender, but shall not include the amount of any term of a Player Contract renegotiated after the Monday of the tenth 48 week of the regular season of the Prior League Year that provides for an unearned incentive to be treated as signing bonus.

:tequila:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Patriots rumored to be interested in Peterson now and they have the draft picks to pull it off :puking 3:

Realistically though, if Peterson really is on the block, there will be plenty of teams vying for his services. Steelers and especially NE will be picking in the later half of the round, so if a team like Cleveland comes calling, whom also have a bevy of draft picks, I'd think they'd win the sweepstakes.

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Raiders and Cowboys interested via reports as well. Not that I/we can't hope for the best bu I don't see us getting him if they're even trying to.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Is that up to date? I thought they did away with the transition tag? I thought it was just nonexclusive are exclusive franchise tag now?

24. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Pretty sure.... if bell doesn’t report before the deadline.... we can use the exact same franchise tender in 2019 as 2018. The price would remain the same, he can’t just sit out a year and expect to sign elsewhere. The transition tag is actually available if he signs on time and accrues a season this year.... but that price goes up to the 17.5m range.... and it’s highly unlikely the Steelers would use that tag. That being said..... if he signs after week 10.... that 17.5 number goes much lower..... because it’s based on his actual 2018 salary..... which will be a lot less than the 14.5m original offer. They could use the transition for under 7m or so next year.

25. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    I dunno, G, I took that from the CBA on the NFL’s site. Lemme confirm and revert back.

Update: as far as I can tell, it’s still viable. The 2018 transition value for a RB was $9.6mm. If Bell returns this season, his 120% would be based on this year’s truncated salary (so he’d likely get the (A)-value tender instead). If he stays out all year? No idea.

Update 2: The T-tag is the greater of the top-10 average or 120% of Bell’s “Prior Year Salary”. That phrase is defined as the last negotiated contract, which would be his $12mm salary for 2017 (if he holds out all of this season). So probably $14.4mm again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018