1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Conner is legit

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds like it’s up to the Steelers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It will be interesting. but to me it must be like this:
    If the Steelers don't want him, as a distraction or whatever, they need to let him go.
    If they do want him, they can't nickel/dime him, accept him as he is, practice him as you normally would, play him as his condition merits.
    Punishing him for doing what he's allowed to do by CBA is petty, and gets you nothing. Other than the appeased righteous indignation of yinzer fans

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Someone is going to lose their roster spot and their paycheck when this fool gets back. He won’t be ready to contribute immediately.
    Nothing wrong with the Steelers also doing what they’re allowed to do.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Puh-Leeze. Every week on every team in the league somebody loses a paycheck because somebody better comes along. You want to release Bell because he a pariah and a distraction? Fine. Go ahead.

You want to make him sit a couple of weeks, fine. But your doing it to satisfy your petty grievances, you're not doing it to 'save' some worthy players paycheck for a week or two. That's the last thing you care about.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I understand that players lose their jobs. Bell hasn’t earned any respect as far as I’m concerned.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Then release him, if you dont want to release him, play him. Respect? I think a large % of NFL players are idiots. I don't respect AB, he's an immature moron, but he starts for me next game.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers stand to increase their cap space by another 1.7 million. Better reason than the one you are assigning to it.

Bell has been a major headache for the Steelers so I wouldn't hold it agains them one bit even if the only reason they did it was for spite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    There is a difference between personal respect and professional respect. There are tons of people who work with people they hate because they are good at their jobs. The problem for Bell, is that he is a jerk professionally as well as being a good player. As far as I am concerned the Steelers stuck with him through two suspensions and two holdouts. They owe him nothing. He's also got another problem in that his former backup is outplaying him through six games compared to last year. The Steelers are going to do what is best for them as far as any trades go. Bell's got zero leverage now.

By the way, was I the only one grinning like a fool when Conner made Burfict look ridiculous twice?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hahahahahahaha
    In the post game interview,
    Ben congratulated Connor on his awesome last game as Bell is coming back.
    Too funny.
    Trouble maker.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They should crush it up and snort it.:sneak:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    The problem now is that if Bell comes back and starts. The Oline is gonna take 2-3 weeks to change their blocking speed due to Bells running style. If Bell isn’t your future, then you stick with Conner. The run game is going, his blocking and hands has amazed everyone. You can’t afford to make that type of change when your 3-2-1 trying to keep pace. I have a feeling that we will if Bell signs, he gets traded to Philly for a defensive player and a pick before the deadline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Spite. As Micheal Corleone said to his nephew Vincent in the not great but untderared aged Godfather III: "Never hate your enemies, it only clouds your judgement". Enjoy your spite, may it profit you.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah that was fiction though.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I couldn't tell if he was serious?

15. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotta disagree with you there. They might do it for team chemistry... i doubt they would do it out of spite. Did Gruden make Gorden(?) sit out for listening to tunes out of spite? I would hope the steelers wouldn't do it for spite.

My take/hope/guess: They let him back in the stable and he sees the field reasonably often but Conner is still first team (because, as others have said, the o-line has adjusted for him and it's up to Bell to take advantage of the opportunities given him).

I do keeping wondering if they are not releasing him because they want the comp pick (though is it really worth that much $$$ dunno) also wonder what happens if he doesn't sign elsewhere... we get nothing I assume?)

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Great post because the offensive line has developed a chemistry with Conner and vice versa!As talented as Bell is who knows if he goes that extra yard for the team which by his attitude and statements I doubt it!Don’t change what’s working and if we could just get an average to good cornerback with a third round draft choice to take the place of Artie Burnt,who is a huge liability,I’d be happy.

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think if Bell does return, put him on the 53 but keep him inactive.

I know it may not be the most honorable thing to do but Conner has earned his starting job, and getting a 4th rouND pick is useless. I'd rather have Bell as an insurance policy if anything happened to Conner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :rolleyes:

I don't own a share in the Steelers so my feelings about Bell carry no weight and no profit to be made.

Steelers have a million and half reasons to not pay Bell.

You're the one making it about spite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They said the two were joking about it in the locker room and Ben carried the joke into the press conference in that oh so passive aggressive way he like's to do those things. My take was he was lobbying for a 50/50 split between Bell and Conner as he said during the week.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Conner has got to be the guy going forward until he proves he's not, which I doubt is going to happen. Unfortunately I do not trust the organization not to slot Bell right back in as soon as he comes back. Even the most diehard Bell defender has to be starting to realize that Conner can basically do everything Bell did. the only thing we haven't seen yet is Conner lining up as a WR.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They were joking.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah I meant He and Ben were joking about it and that it was a passive aggressive comment directed towards Bell, like you may think it's your spot but nothing in stone

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah. Yeah maybe. In this instance, I wouldn't mind :hehehe:

24. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He’s a hell of a football player but we gotta give credit to the O line

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, Connor has been great, but the OL shouldn't be overlooked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1