1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Watt Fined over 20 grand for hit on Matt Ryan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Oct 12, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You're right, but one of those two people hitting each other is not going to be the quarterback. The league is pushing that message more than ever this season and it's not going to change, except for getting more strict. Do not touch the quarterback.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Excessive? Without a doubt.

The rule? Most definitley.

I agree wholeheartedly. I do not like these new rules either. That being said, it is irrelevant how I or others feel due to the complexity of the current state of the rule book as a whole. The officiating crews have it bad enough with so many forms of legislation they have to memorize then penalize in a collision based sport.

In short? Blame that on the NFL Competition Committee and Roger Goodell for over legislation. It ends up inciting immense disdain from not just coaches and players but fans. The worst overall aspect of this is, ironicially so, that the newer emerging markets Roger wants to captivate and entertain are ultimately being turned off due in part towards the leagues new initiative of these "track meets". That initiative, the concussion fallout no less, changed the league forever and it will never be the same again sadly.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I guess Sunday, Watt will be tamed. I hope not but to continually get fined I'm sure gets old.

Maybe he should take Dalton a nice bouquet of flowers and blow him kisses while watching him put up 450 yards and 5 TD's.

The NFL under Gooddell is almost unwatchable anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Joke, was a joke call, was a joke fine. I really hope Matt Ryan’s leg hairs are ok with all the damage inflicted.

• Like Like x 2
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Wow is it April Fools day already? What a joke this league is.

If I was a young superstar athlete, there's hardly any incentive to hone your skills on the defensive side of the ball. The offensive skill players get all the love in the media, from the league and usually in their wallet. And you wonder why we can't draft defensive talent, I'm beginning to think all the studs concentrate on offense starting in H.S. and college. Is it a wonder most of the defensive stars are on the d-line and not LBers and DBs.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Totally agree. Can't see what the draw to playing defense would be anymore.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The thing that works me up more than anything about this is the lack of consistency throughout the league on this issue from fines down through the penalties. Anyone who watched the week 1 Monday night game between the Jets and the Lions saw Stafford being almost broken in half by some of the hits he was taking and no penalties let alone fines. Watt moves the air near Ryan's knee and both penalty and fine.

New point of emphasis that the helmet may not be used as a weapon and lowering the helmet to target a players body is a foul yet during the Chiefs game Hunt was about to be tackled and clearly lowers his head to ram it into the defender in an attempt to disrupt the tackle. No penalty, no fine.

Either these things matter or they don't but be consistent .

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

It's ludicrous. They are absolutely hand cuffed anymore.

11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe they should just give the QB’s flags to wear around their waists. That’s pretty much where they’re headed.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's basically becoming 'do not take the quarterback to the ground, wrap him up and wait for the whistle', not much different than flag football.

13. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I blame the media for this a bit too. How often have we heard the commentators whine about a game where the starting QB is out injured? It got to be ridiculous last year when Rodgers went out and they all complained that the fans don't want to see a backup QB and it was bad for ratings. They completely ignored the fact that I am sure every Packers opponent last year as well as their fans were delighted that Rodgers wasn't there. Of course the NFL overreacted when they felt they were going to lose revenue, never mind that they are probably losing revenue now that they've effectively neutered the game. Between this and the absolute fear that erupted with the whole concussion thing, football is never going to be what it was and it is just going to get worse in my opinion. Maybe if enough people tune out they'll change it back a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’d assumed it had more to do with the fantasy football effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Reports are he shaves them...

You can add fantasy football as well. This whole 45 to 42 games, stats stats stats stats. They have to capture the new wave of fan, the ones who get bored really easy. Us old school fans just have to either hang in there or stop watching. 24/7 coverage, over saturation, drama to keep the new wave fan engaged. I rarely watch any pre game garbage, just give me the Steelers game and i'm fine...

Speaking of fines man I don't blame Watt in the least. A friggin joke. But that's the way of the new NFL. I would like to know what Lambert thinks...

16. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    You know, I wonder. How long before a player just gets fed up and says "screw it. If I'm getting fined and flagged I want to make it count"?
    I could see a player absolutely obliterate a QB as retaliation .

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    so this is now roughing the passer, good acting job by ryan:

18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This willl be the response by players.

This game is becoming lame. I've always been a defensive guy. So seriously if this continues to get worse, there is really no point in watching anymore. I'm losing enthusiasm to turn on the TV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This willl be the response by players.

This game is becoming lame. I've always been a defensive guy. So seriously if this continues to get worse, there is really no point in watching anymore. I'm losing enthusiasm to turn on the TV.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    James Harrison tried that approach but the fines kept growing and turned into game suspension without pay. This season a player can be ejected for 'flagrant violations of the new helmet rule', as determined by the official, and/or Riveron. The overseers at replay central also have the ability to eject a player on any penalty. They have their bases covered.

21. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    That might be part of it, but the people I was listening to were pretty clear it was about ratings.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What gets me is TJ clearly dove to the side to avoid the penalty... he barely grazed Ryan.

23. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I can see a flag maybe if he was going low on purpose and the intent was there.It looks like to me Watt was kind of pushed a little by the offensive lineman If you look at his arms going at Watt and changing Watts trajectory to go lower than he probably originally intended to!I can’t believe this is what it has come to as it’s so ticky tacky!

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
  25. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Terrible. No Fun League. Not even football. Very sad. This is why the NCAA is 10x better anymore. As a wise Jack Lambert once said, "put a friggin skirt on em."