1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

UK fan going to their first NFL game!!!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Gingert76, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Gingert76

Gingert76 New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Hi All,

So i am a UK based fan and never been to a NFL game and certainly not a Steelers game but finally sorting that out when i visit from October 22nd so planning on catching the Browns game, been a Steelers fan for ages and NFL is really catching on in the UK.

As a complete newbie (ive been to baseball in NYC lots of times) ive never been to a NFL game and really looking to see if i can meet a few people before the game or at the game as always better with a few people to share the experience and i want to make the most of the trip!

Also never been to Pittsburgh before so looking for recommendations for a nice place to stay in the city and ideally where the best Steelers bar is (hopefully within walking distance of the hotel lol), not sure if im staying the whole two weeks in Pittsburgh or if i will travel to somewhere else but is two weeks there too long?

Love the cold so the weather wont be a problem, just looking for cool people to share my first experience with!

Thanks

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  2. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Hey there, welcome! Your first game at Heinz Field will be a blast.

In terms of where to go around the city I know plenty of places, just depends on what your taste is. I go to London every now and then, what are your favorite parts of that city/places you like to go? That might help me guide you to some places around Pittsburgh that have similar vibes.

Best bar to visit on a game weekend, I have a few favorites...
    • Anywhere in Market Square - it's across the river from the stadium in downtown but there is a subway stop a block away that will take you right to the stadium for free.
    • Sienna Mercato - great rooftop beer garden in downtown
    • McFadden's - big gathering area on the north shore between the football and baseball stadiums.
    • Anywhere on Carson Street in the Southside (loads of bars, clubs, restaurants etc..)
    Don't worry whether any bar is a "Steelers Bar", they all are. You won't need to worry if there is a situation like walking into a Celtics or Rangers pub with the wrong colors in Glasgow, any Browns fans you see just came in from out of town. :laughs:

Where to stay: I personally like doing AirBnB's when I travel, makes me feel like a local. If you were picking neighborhoods I'd recommend the Southside, Strip District (not named for the reason you think), or Shady Side (think Notting Hill). If hotels are more your style the William-Penn, Fairmont, or Mansions on Fifth are all good choices.

If you're staying for two weeks there is plenty you can do around the area. Go the the Warhol Museum and see the original Marylin silkscreen, rent a car and see the Frank Lloyd Wrights house Falling Water (seriously an awesome tour of his best architecture). If there is any other city you want to see the airport has direct flights to New York, Chicago, San Francisco etc. Go and explore!

Let me know what you think and let us know the dates! My girlfriend and I are going to be in for the Browns game so let us know. You're going to have a great time in the city!

3. Gingert76

Gingert76 New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Thanks for the excellent reply, i like a bit of everything to be fair but love history and architecture and just wandering around, sports bars and rooftop bars sound brilliant and just looking at flights etc. as i do have a few choices, thinking of visiting another city as done 10 or so in the US so far so still loads more to see and do.

The main reason is the game though, got to catch a live game, is it worth booking tickets before or at the gate on the day as i have found online tickets are expensive and much cheaper on the day but not sure if the games usually sell out?

Oh and i have been to server old firm derbys between Rangers and Celtic and it is def a experience!!!!

Thanks

Tony

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  4. Gingert76

Gingert76 New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    flights booked, apartment booked, now just got to sort game tickets!!!!, is it best to order online or can i buy at the gate on the day? on game day what time should i get there???

5. Gingert76

Gingert76 New Member

Sep 27, 2018
    must say i was hoping for a bit more interaction on the forum than ive had so far

6. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    So how has your trip been thus far?