1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tampa Bay Post Game Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Where do I begin??

Positives

Offense:

Ben played well outside of the INT. Still hate to see him scramble right and throw across his body into the middle of the field like that last pass but it worked. He played very well.

JuJu is awesome. Simply put.

AB flashed AB talent tonight but he still has yet to have a truly dominant game. It’s coming.

Offensive line did awesome in pass protection and run blocking to close out the game. Thank God.

Vance McDonald flashed what he’s capable of when healthy. He is a true mismatch to defenses. He ruined that dudes life with the stiff arm he gave him.

Love how James Washington goes up, fights for the ball and catches it with his hands. We got another good one

Defense:

Honestly, the only thing that I want to put here is the turnovers.

Bostic has a very solid game. Heyward, Haden played well from what I saw.

Negatives

Offense:

Offensive line had some real struggles run blocking early on. I can understand that we are missing two very good OL and that they were up against a stout front. But still would like to see more. We commited early to the pass and weren’t able to get any type of groove going. Would guess we ran the ball well under 20 times.

Big Bens long ball. WTF is going on with it!? He has over thrown at least 10 deeps balls the past two games. And honestly they aren’t even close. The one tonight he almost led the TB defender straight through a wall it was so badly over thrown. The other one was a for sure touchdown to AB that he over threw. He can’t continue to be this bad on deep throws the rest of the year.

Defense:

I want to preface this that this is going to be mostly a rant of everything together.

I just don’t know anymore. First off, Burns and Sensabaugh are just downright horrible right now. I have never seen Burns look this bad. Both of them were burnt badly. Burns continues to get caught looking into the backfield instead of covering his man. Sensabaugh is just not very good. Where was Sutton tonight? Did they not dress him or did he get hurt early on?

Our linebackers are horrible at play recognition. Any type of playactjon leaves the middle of the field wide open because they bite so hard on runs.

Bostic in particular is horrible in zone coverage. He continues to not drop far enough into coverage and let’s the middle seems too wide open.

Bud Dupree, lucky pick 6 and I’m thankful that it happened but dear lord does he still suck.

I could rant about all the others but I’ll stop there at the stuff that is glaringly wrong in my brain at this present time.

Now to the scheme....

Just WTF is Keith Butler doing anymore? Just an honest to god WTF.

At one point in the second half, I counted 5 times in a row that he ran a slot blitz. None of them worked. So why the f*ck would you run it over and over again? Did this dude not learn last week? It’s absolute nonsense that it’s still happening.

Especially with our RCB who ever it was on the particular play, getting burned every play. You think you could provide them some help instead of running the same play over and over again?

The announcers called out this next bit numerous times. TJ Watt and Bud Dupree should never be covering guys 1 on 1. I absolutely hate it. Can’t we switch out of the playcall if the O’s scheme into them having to cover 1 on 1? They should be covering a zone and that should be rarely. Bud Dupree honestly doesn’t do anything well. Let him run into the line and do nothing there than letting up a 20 yard gain. Watt struggles also and that’s not unexpected. They are asking a him to guard Sammy Watkins last week and OJ Howard this week. 2 guys that are freaks of nature in their own way. I want you to sit back and realize just how stupid it is that this stuff is still being schemed up by our DC.

I’ll give it a couple more weeks since this team if ridiuclously young on defense. But if **** doesn’t start to change, something needs to be done with Butler. Whether it’s calling the same exact plays over and over again or putting guys in a position where they cannot succeed is ridiculous.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Is it just me or does James Washington look a little like ab when he catches the ball.. when he got the ball I swore it was ab with the grab

3. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    KB has to be fired after this season I mean he has to. This Defense I could argue is the worst in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    He’s going to be very good. Love the way he fights.

5. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    I agree. We have faced two teams with ridiculous skill guys the last two weeks. Hopefully a let up in that department will help.

But they still need to simply play better and schemed better. Or this will continue to happen.

6. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    They can’t generate steady pressure. They have spurts. If we are not sacking or pressuring the QB we can give up 400 yards passing easy. Secondary and middle linebacker coverage is that bad.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem is that Tomlin and Butler are obsessed with this idea of rushing 4 which if you run a 4-3 with big athletic DT''s and Edge rushing DE's but if you are using a 3-4 those four aren't getting home and your 7 guys in coverage can't stay with their man. So they have to overload blitz and have guys stick to their man as the rush gets home. And they have to get the QB down. Some serious lame duck passes finding the target tonight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    3rd and long, Watt Tuitt Heyward and Dupree should be rushing the passer. They shouldn’t be off in coverage or doing lord knows what else Butler is trying to have them do.

I’m sick of seeing Watt in coverage on 3rd and long and 4 others rushing the QB. If he’s not rushing the QB, get him off of the field and replace him with someone that is faster and better at covering.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What's even more troubling is that you have a rookie that has speed at ILB and you don't try him at all to cover or use the package you created for him. The one pick Hilton got both linemen took TJ and let Bostic free. So he even though he was blocked he drew a dbl team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The first half the defense was fine. They pressured Fitzpatrick very well. The second half the defense could not get off the field, party because of they were touching Fitzpatrick too "hard." I was amazed when the Steelers had to punt after the Bucs cut it to 30-27 and the defense got a stop.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This.

The D got sacks and INTs, against an offense who many here expected to annihilate them.

The issue in the second half was an ineffective blitz against a team committed to passing. Butler needs to get more creative with using his guys in those situations and try and cover the deficiencies better.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone else feel like we got lucky to escape with that win? We had a lot going fit us with the INT'S and Godwin's drops, but we still barely held on .

Tampa played really bad and we almost blew it . That doesn't bode well for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A key going forward imo is McDonald...This D isn't going to miraculously get competent...We're going to have to outscore teams...

McDonald is SUCH an upgrade from James, It isn't funny... Big, strong, and fast ( James isn't any of these ) His problem obviously is availability...

With him out there and our WR's ( I think Washington is going to be an absolute star ) Is our only hope...Win shootouts!

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't think TB played massively differently to how they did in their first two games. Like, they made a lot of mistakes, for sure, but they also did against Philly, but the Eagles just didn't capitalise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm just going to enjoy this win for the day before throwing anyone under the bus. We needed the W. We got the W.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah I don't think TB is all that

17. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Honestly, I was relatively happy with the entire defense not named Sensabaugh, Burns and sadly, Watt. They were on the field for nearly an entire half and football is a game of attrition. That being said, Burns and Sensabaugh's mistakes weren't related to being tired, they were just damn horrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The Bucs O (currently #1, btw) would be seriously dangerous if they just had a QB that didn't throw wobbly passes all the time. They have some big time weapons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Special teams need work. Missing field goals, (almost allowing a punt return td) and inconsistent punts hurt this team. I see other punters flipping fields like nobodies business.

fix the special teams, keep raising steam on offense and even with this horrible defense they can do something. I saw a qb sneak yesterday.

20. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The “Bos” is scaring me what’s up with him lately In a tight game with Baltimore this might get ugly I hope he figures it out soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. If McDonald can stay healthy, it makes a huge difference and along with Washington and Juju, we are sitting pretty. Double teaming AB will come with a high price and we can score 30 points a game spreading the ball around. Loved that stiff arm by Big Mac, LOL.

22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere.
    At the post game conference, Tomlin said something like they were still working with the corners to see who’s gonna play.

Hey that’s what preseason is for!

3 games into the season isn’t time for experimenting

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Stiff arm? He put that Conte guy out with a stiff neck:smiley1:

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think he said he was playing different guys to see who can get in a rythm. CB is the same as other positions. You have to get used to the flow and pace of a game. I'm pretty sure that's what he said or meant. You see guys I'm not always looking to jump on Tomlins back...only when he deserves it. ;)

25. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    Sadly, if your corners suddenly decide they forgot how to play, any time is a good time to figure out who needs to play. I’m just glad they are trying different ****. That’s about the only thing that Butler is doing right.

It’s not their fault completely that both CB’s forgot how to play all of the sudden. I stated in another thread or earlier in this one that I have never seen Burns playing this horribly in all the years he’s been here. He continues to stare into the backfield and completely lose his man.