1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you clean house if you suddenly became GM

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Sep 24, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    .....unless the D gets trashed again tonight ,then I would drive Butler to the airport .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I really wonder if ownership is too worried about the optics of firing Tomlin. Or maybe they like him so much that they can't fire him. I'd look at bringing back Cowher as coach or Belichick to run football ops (Pending he leaves NE).

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tuitt and Heyward aren’t 4-3DEs are you replacing them?
    I know NT are theoretically a thing of the past, but when you have an immovable force on the line your defense has a shot at being good...the Ravens have a guy like that and so do the Vikings....

4. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Normally I’d agree, but sometimes you have to take action...it’s a business and acting swiftly to stop the bleeding is usually the best decision....it’s not like we haven’t had several seasons to evaluate our defense. If we got to the point where we hit 0-6, we need to realize if the d continues to give up the astronomical amount of points at the rate they have thus far, we might be looking at the worst defense ever in team history...if that’s not enough to shake things up, I don’t know what is...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, trade them both to a 3-4 team.

6. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    You know what we have with this defense. It's beyond terrible pains me to say it as a fan but legit major changes are needed from players and coaches

7. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    If I were the Steelers GM, I would trade Bell and Brown and terminate Roethlisberg. I have two promising young QBs. One of which will be very good to excellent. I can pay both a fraction of Roethlisberger’s contract. Bell and Brown are both AH divas and there is never a reason to tolerate such a person. Trade them for as high a draft pick as possible or for an established pro-bowler defensive player. Connor, Ridley, and Samuels are just fine. The Steeler had won without Bell. The Steelers may be the best at finding and developing WRs. I would rather have the option to pass to a pride of very good WRs then pass to one AH diva. We have JuJu, Washington, Hunter backed by DHB and Switzer. So I have beau coup cap dollars and a couple of high draft choices. I do what the Steelers would never do but I want to win ASAP. I use the cap money to acquire REAL proven defensive talent in free agency pool. Since the current scouting organization seems offensive oriented, I would establish an offensive scouting group and a defensive scouting group. Additionally, I would use consulting retired proven defensive scouts to review all selections and all tape. I would draft proven football players who are athletes, not just combine wunderkinds. I would have a small group dedicated to finding talent in the smaller overlooked and disrespected college football programs. I would create a small but passionate organization within or outside of the NFL rules to scour the country for overlooked and non-college talent. It would be staffed with former overachieving free agents who were successful in the NFL. Above all I would want a certain personality type for each position for example Hines Ward and Jerry Rice types at WR. The really hard part is selecting talent with brains. Problem is brains alone won’t do, however, talent at times alone can get it done, see Ray Lewis’ playing record and his Wonderlic score of 13. Go figure! Oh yeah! Tell Tomlin whenever anyone gets out of line figure what would give them the most pain then do it. Fine them as well and give the money to a charity. Almost forgot to get rid of Porter and Danny as coaches.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Wow. Clean house? Trade Brown? Terminate Ben? Someday this team won't go 13-3, won't be a season removed from the AFCCG, won't have had 4 straight playoff season. What will happen if the go 6-10 for 2 or 3 yrs? Burn down Heinz Field? A March thru the streets of Pitt with Art II's head on a pike?

This team has some problems, but it will still likely finish above .500, make the playoffs, and will probably win the division. Can we save the peasants with pitchforks scenario for when they actually don't do any of the above?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    No one said terminate Ben

10. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    I dunno about you, but i'm tired of getting to the playoffs then being let down for the past 10 years. Steelers should be striving to win beyond the division. Time to take out the trash and with that usher in greater talent by the scenario i provided with OP or something similar , it's going to get worse before it gets better no matter what the scenario so why not start sooner than later? BTW no one said get rid of Ben

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If Bill Cowher could survive a 7-9 1998. 6-10 1999, and a 9-7 2000 season. 22-26 over 3 years.

He still never got fired. I know, sure those teams didn't have a talent level that this team has. But, Tomlin has never had a below .500 season yet, neither has Big Ben.

Still a lot of time to turn things around this year. But, still game one, Browns are improved you can tell they are improved, if your denying this your not watching football, it's not the same Browns. If not for bad kicking Browns dang well might be 3-0.

Game 2 Chiefs, embarrassing yes. But, that is a 3-0 team, with a QB that has 13 Touchdowns in 3 games, almost unbelievable. He's playing like something else. But, he chewed apart the 49ers just like he did us.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Only major aspect, or rather aspects, I would change if I am Kevin Colbert would be to terminate both Keith Butler and Joey Porter.

Find a defensive coordinator who is more focused upon exploiting personnel matchups than formation based ones like Butler does. If that is to be a 3-4 or 4-3, so be it. Granted, Tomlin has been a 4-3 person. Finding a 4-3 defensive coordinator should not be too difficult in addition to the aforementioned criteria.

Regarding the termination of Joey Porter, find a dedicated defensive end coach. Have Karl Dunbar handle the defensive tackles and whomever that position coach is handle the defensive ends. That way, two different positions will receive the best chances of properly functioning as a whole.

Again, this is all under the assumptions of if I was the GM and if Butler's defenses continue to underperform.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As much as I would want to agree with you for the second time ever, a couple issues.

1.) Both Tuitt and Heyward are already defensive tackles. While 6'5 or greater does seem a bit tall for a defensive tackle, Raekwon Davis from Alabama is that as well. Add the fact that current NFL Defensive tackles like David Irving (on the field), DeForest Buckner and Jordan Phillips all have had success, Heyward and Tuitt can still be capable interior lineman. Do not forget that they are essentially playing that in the 3-4 anyway.

2.) Before we acquire a running back, I am more inclined to give Jaylen Samuels some time. Why not invest in a cornerback in Round Two instead? Round One should be focused on a linebacker as it currently stands. Neither Bostic nor Williams are the guys who can be classified as three down linebackers. Someone like Devin White from LSU, a more explosive, athletic RoQuan Smith, is exactly what this defense needs. This is all under where we pick.

*** Assuming Ryan Shazier comes back next season (I believe he will), this pick changes to a 4-3 defensive end. Joe Jackson or Montez Sweat would be good Round One options depending on where we pick. ***

3.) T.J. Watt is essentially a more quicker and agile Anthony Barr. Allow him to be the 4-3 SAM as opposed to MIKE. In addition, given his versatility, you can have him do whatever you want as well. As for the WILL, have Matthew Thomas over there. He is the greater athlete ans can cover short to intermediate routes as well.

While I do agree that we should go into a 4-3, I do believe that, while we have some pieces to complete the puzzle, others are already set in stone.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Kindly read the first line of Lone Granger's post.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Just a few thoughts...

1. Agree with you... i think especially Hayward would do well as a 4-3 DT...he has shown that even while being double teamed he can hold his ground, get leverage, stop the run, and can pass rush effectively when asked to...I think Coach Dunbar would do even better going to a 4-3 and having real veterans to coach. This could be a real backbone of our D.

If we could sign someone like Dante Fowler to play RE and play watt as the other end...maybe rotating him at lb when we switch to 4-6 subpackage.
    We have 0% of drafting Bosa, but damn he’d almost instantly make that line something to fear. Clemson DE Clelin Ferrel would be nice too.

2. Devin White is an excellent target next year, but I have to say I have serious doubts Shazier will be back....

cb greedy Williams is my next favorite pick...plays both man and zone very well is 6-3 and physical with ball skills.

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Echo...echo...echo...echo...

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah I don't think Shazier is coming back as much as I would love to see it happen, he still is inhibited when he walks...and at this point how much atrophy has occurred in his legs?

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This year or next, make it happen