1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers listening on trade options for Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Sep 23, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    they can trade Bell after Bell signs the tag. The other team just has to accept the franchise tag parameters. Not sure what is so hard to digest. The new team can then agree to a new deal "in principle" if it legally cannot be signed right now. The Steelers wouldn't be listening or calling for offers if it was impossible to move him.. Just not following the thread here....

he can sign the tag right now if they had a deal in place with San Fran for instance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good points. It's a bit unusual for the Steelers to cater to the 'Divas'. They never did that in the past. Their skill players of old like Jerome Bettis and Hines Ward were not only great football players but great people with good character.

Ultimately it's never been a part of the culture that the Rooney's have run. So it's a possibility.

3. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Maybe bell is aware and open to the offers too. Maybe if successful they will look into picking up some more depth. Maybe we're on to somethin'.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Exactly, you don't think he'd love to go to the New York market with the Jets and compete with ODB on that national stage?

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    i hope they find a trade partner soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    In my view, the most likely way for something to come together would be for the Steelers to give Bell’s agent permission to find a trading partner. It takes 3 to tango in this case. If indeed they are listening to trade offers, my guess is that Bell’s camp is also involved.

I find it hard to believe anyone would part with a 1st, but you never know. If the Steelers have written him off already, any compensation better than the 97th pick in the 2020 Draft is better than doing nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    They risk that if they trade for him. No team can sign him to a long term deal until after the season, including any team that traded for him. This has been said many times but people keep ignoring it. The rules prohibit anyone at all from signing him to a long term deal until the season is over. Once the July 15th date passed Bell was locked into the franchise tag. There is nothing that anyone can do about it. So there is little reason for anyone to trade for him. All they get is Bell for the rest of the year. That is it no matter what they want to do. They will have to wait until the end of the year and then bid for his services with everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Just my opinion: I think Bell gets traded to a team who promises him a strong extension (a Bear and Mack type move) and we get a much better return than most think. Le'Veon is a pain in the ass, but he's worth every damn dollar if he shuts up -- and I think he does if he gets paid.

P.S.: The Jets or Colts are my choices.

9. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Again, they can't do what was done with Mack. BELL CANNOT BE SIGNED BY ANYONE UNTIL AFTER THE SEASON! People really need to get this into their heads.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If the Steelers manage to pull off a trade this season, then whomever acquires him will have a window to sign him long term before FA starts.

There could be a couple of reasons a team would trade for him now. They think he puts them over the top this year and they are willing to give up a pick for a 1 year rental. Or, they think they will be able to meet his demands after the season and hammer out a long term deal without him testing FA.

I think the very least, the Steelers will receive a 3rd rd pick since that is what they will get for him by simply letting him walk after the season. IMO though, I don't think a first or second rd pick is out of the question.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If Bell gets traded to another team and they promised him a huge contract what happens if he gets hurt seriously playing for them this season? I doubt anybody’s going to honor some handshake agreement in that scenario. At this point bells best option is probably just sit out the season.

12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Agree Glenn, so any team that would be interested in trading.... can only offer the franchise contract, plus a promise that they'll work out a sweet deal in the spring. Bell still won't report until after week 10, so I think it's doubtful that any trade partners would be interested in giving up a 1 or 2 draft pick for a partial season benefit. And any injury between week 10 and the end of the season, could kill any 'promise' of a big next contract.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    When a team puts an exclusive tag on a player this is what can happen, I couldnt believe they did it when a non X tag would have put them in control of him signing with anyone else, I hope they learned their lesson, I have no sympathy for them........

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The trade deadline is October 30 at 4pm.

The deadline to sign the tag tender is November 13 at 4pm.

15. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I would think teams would be very wary of thinking they can sign him long term in their window after the season but before the official start of free agency. Bell has made it abundantly clear that he wants as much money as possible. A team would have to throw a ridiculous contract at him to keep him from testing the free agency waters. If a team is willing to do that why not save whatever assets they would have to give up to get him in a trade and just throw the ridiculous contract at him when he becomes a free agent? To my mind the only really compelling reason to trade for him would be that a team thinks he is the piece that puts them over the top this year. Given that he hasn't even reported to camp and might not be in great shape and I think the likelihood of a team feeling that way is very small. I would be floored if the Steelers got a 2nd for him. I'd also be very pleased. Then again, I wasn't expecting the team to get anything from a Bryant trade and they got a 3rd so anything is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes, they put the tag on him again to find a team to trade him to. They will get something for him.

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Where do you get he wont report till week ten if they work out a trade deal, in fact he can report tomorrow if he wanted to.....

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I know Steelers don’t break the bank on players... but we never had the best RB or WR in the NFL...

Ward and Bettis were great players, I always thought they were among the best, but an argument could be made that there were better players in the league. That’s not the case now. I totally get why Bell wants to get paid.

But no one is going to trade for him, just let him walk. If he gets a big contract just take the comp pick... it will probably be a 3rd rounder...

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So they don’t have to contend with 20 other teams throwing ridiculous contracts at him. A team that trades for him now gets first crack at him. Also, guaranteed money is supposedly the sticking point for Bell and allegedly, Steelers are 1 of only 2 teams that don’t shell out a ton of guaranteed money.

Also, we’re all pissed at Bell but I have never doubted his talent despite my anger. He is a generational talent that a team could have under their control for 5 more years.

I think the chances of getting a deal done is better than people think.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I hope you are right as it would benefit the Steelers to get something better than the 3rd round compensatory pick. Since Bryant got a 3rd I can't dismiss that we could get more than that for Bell. I just find it highly unlikely. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable thinking I could resign him as Bell sure seems like he wants to be a free agent and decide where he goes, for how long, and for how much.

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think the trade rumors are just the Steelers letting Bell know they are done negotiating & are moving on. No more franchise tags, no trying to sign him next off season, no 17million per year. I honestly think that the front office thought they could get a deal done with him hence the franchise tags they used, Chance to become a Steeler legend while getting paid, Tragic really.

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Redskins should be interested in a trade, AP wont hold up for long and bell would be a good fit for them....

23. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    They have guice on deck for next year. I’m assuming the only likely trades accepted will be for teams who are looking to sign him long term after the season.

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Would you trade with the Jets for a draft pick and Steve McClendon?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Teams are contacting them.