1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers listening on trade options for Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Being under contract and controlling a players rights are two different things. The Steelers control Bells rights because they put the tag on him. They can trade those rights to another team.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ispute-khalil-mack-bears/stories/201809230201

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Tender pursuant to this Subsection (a)(i), the player shall be permitted to negotiate a Player Contract with any Club as if he were a player subject to Section 5 below, except that Draft Choice Compensation of two first round draft selections shall be made with respect to such player in the event he signs with the New Club, and the Signing Period for such player shall be determined under Section 14 below. Fo

Read more: http://www.thefootballeducator.com/nfl-cba-article-10-franchise-transition-players/#ixzz5RyTn39x4

3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Show me somewhere that it states it doesnt have to be 2 first rounders...

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I was under the impression that Bell could be traded once he signs the franchise tag if prior to the week 8 deadline.

Once being traded, I did not believe the new team could negotiate this year until the offseason as it is past the deadline for this year.

So you're saying that he could negotiate a long-term deal upon being traded with the new team this year?

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    We were speaking about free agency. Not this year.

6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No they cannot. You cannot trade the rights of a player to another team because you put the tag on them. They HOLD HIS RIGHTS as in he cant just freely go sign or play for anyone else. That's their meaning by that.

7. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I think it's a little too late unless they can work out some kind of sign & trade with another team.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ok. So he'd have to play on the current tag with the new team upon being traded. In the offseason, the team could negotiate a long-term deal just like the Steelers attempted to. If he doesn't get that deal, they could franchise tag him for the deemed amount for a 3rd consecutive franchise tag which I believe is in the 22 mill a year range.

If the receiving team doesn't choose to franchise tag him at that amount, he'd be free to enter free agency.

It seems as if the receiving team could really be screwed by being required to give up 2 first round picks with no gaurantee that Le'veon would sign long term with them.

Essentially they'd be held hostage to his demands for how much he wanted to get paid.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It's two different tags. It's the exclusive and non exclusive. Hes under the exclusive currently which means he cant negotiate a contract with any other team. The non exclusive means he can negotiate with another team but pitt has a chance to match the offer. If they dont match the offer that's when the other team is forced to give up 2 first rd picks as comp to pitt. Things never go this far as most teams just cut bait instead of doing what pitt is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    But that is in terms of free agency next year. Now with the current season a team cant negotiate anything for bell if they trade for him if he choose to sign the tag.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I suggest they trade him to Carolina for McCaffrey. That kid's good and (shockingly) after he makes a great play, he gets up and hands the ball to the ref and goes back to the huddle. The nerve of him not to act like an imbecile. 185 yds rushing today against the Bungles, not too shabby.

12. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Bell will bring a 4-5th rounder at best. There is no way he is worth a 1-2round pick for any team as he is a 12 games rental. Team that trades for him can't negotiate until FA begins, so no one will give up much under those circumstances. Sad really, Bell traded for a low pick that may not even make the team?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    OK.

So I'm correct that he can essentially hold the new team hostage? Pay me what I want in a long-term deal, pay the 22 mil on a 3rd consecutive franchise tag, or let me hit free agency kind of deal?

It just seems that a team would be foolish to trade for him and lose 2 first round picks with no guarantee of a long-term deal.

Again correct me if I'm wrong.

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    According to FootballAnalyst who seems to know a lot more about this than I do, any team that would receive Bell in a trade would be required to give up 2 first round picks.

I'm still trying to understand all of the logistics of this. I currently do not see it worth it for any team like you stated to essentially get a one year rental in exchange for sacrificing their future, in both draft picks and salary cap.

It seems Bell could hold the new franchise hostage to pay him what he wants. Maybe my understanding is not correct.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They're getting a ton of production from McCaffery at a ton less of the cost. Why would they do that even if it was possible?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The “2 first-round draft picks” thing is only relevant to a NON-Exclusive Franchise Tag.

CBA, Article 10, Section 2(a)(i), yo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Could the Steeles still sign Bell to the Non-exclusive Franchise tag with intents of trading him?

Or are they committed to only the Exclusive Franchise Tag at this point?

Soo many questions.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Good question. Bell just like the current rag had to sign it first. But with the non exclusive tag, bell can go sign a contract from another team WITHOUT signing the tag. That's when the compensation of two first round picks comes into play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    • A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player's position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
    Key word being entitled. There is no wording that prohibits the team from accepting less compensation should they choose to. The player can not negotiate the compensation but that does not mean the team cant.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I never said bell was the one doing the negotiating. I said pitt cant negotiate with another team regarding compensation in the confines of the franchise tag. They have to give that up. If that was the case that they could negotiate then they could simply say we will GIVE YOU NOTHING. That's why it's a standard set forth on what a team MUST GIVE UP. And even then if a team give up a late round pick( which they cant) they may as well let him be a free agent and get the compensatory pick that they get.

21. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I was just reading an article about how the Steelers are now open to listening to trade offers for Bell. In my opinion this is the beginning of the end of our SB window. To me Bell has such an impact on the game we won’t be able to replace him. I know backs are easily found in the draft, but Bell was special. Connor is decent, but he ain’t no Bell. I hope Conner can somehow at least be decent enough that we don’t think about the lose of Bell all season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1404157002

22. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There’s a 5 page thread on this. Just a heads up.

23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You might not believe it but Steelers won two Super Bowls with an undrafted RB, they couldn’t make it to or get past the AFC championship game with Bell. Steelers are better off saving the money and signing some help for the defense next year.

Bell is a dynamic player, but what he demands Steelers can’t afford. Got to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Steelers & Bell are stuck with the exclusive tag now. I guess it’s possible to tender one, then withdraw it and tender a different one. But that’s all have to occur before the tender deadline (which was way back in the off-season).

25. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011