1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Burns losing starting job?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 22, 2018.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    When Burns was asked if he thought the coaches were challenging him, he said: “I guess.”

When asked how he plans to respond to the challenge, he said: “I guess I have to make the most of the opportunities I get.”

When asked if he believes he’ll start Monday night, Burns said: “I don’t know.”

I guess? I guess?! :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I expect Tom Bradley is tired of burns ignoring his coaching critiques and tom is going to get his attention by sitting him untill he starts listening, I also think bradley cant believe we drafted him in the 1st round....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Though the same thing. Piss poor attitude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Burns was burned all game long. Sutton doesn't look good. Sensabough, rough but looks better than the previous and has the experience.

Where's Allen? He still on the PS? Can we activate him for Sutton? Artie can cover middle/route in place of Sutton.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I hope this dosent happen. I'm not looking forward to watching Sensebaugh play. Burns has been bad, but I still have more faith in him than I do Sensebaugh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I guess this is it for Artie then should this be the way he elects to progress.

I guess that, given his circumstances coming out of college, he would have greater willpower and desire than this.

I guess I was wrong overall about him as not just a player but a person.

I guess then cornerback is likely on the agenda come the 2019 NFL Draft thus far. Still too early to tell but all signs point to that thus far.

In short?

I GUESS it is time to move on from Artie Burns unless Artie starts acting more like a professional; off the field and nevermind on the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow, the official bust list (and not Canton) .. j.jones, Dupree, and burns ... and these are first rounders

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So much for the idea that there was no inside linebacker option they could have taken instead of Edmunds.

It is a bit early to call Edmunds a bust, but the comparisons to Polamalu do not hold up. Polamalu was a better athlete and a better college player, a legit first-round talent. Nobody thought he was a reach. That simply isn't true of Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I have said, let us put down our proverbial shovels for Terrell's proverbial grave. I really do not think that Terrell is the issue. He is athletically gifted in his own right.

As with Troy, I do believe a defensive coordinator change can solve some of the issues here. That or if the defense is simple yet effective enough to unlock more of Edmunds abilities; akin to what we see in Derwin James in LA.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I wasn't burying Edmunds. I'm saying the comparison to Polamalu doesn't hold up. He doesn't have that kind of speed. He didn't have the same type of production in college. There is a very good argument to be made that Edmunds was a reach late in the first round while Polamalu was projected in the early part of the first round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm not gonna bag on Burns for his answers to a reporters questions. He's likely not articulate and maybe a bit shell shocked. But he's in his 3rd yr, he's supposed to be getting better. He was supposed to be one of the developing young guys who was going to make the overall D Better. TomBradley was supposed to help. So far it ain't happening. And he losing his job to COTY F'ING SENSABAUGH, a guy who ain't the long term answer, to put it mildly.

I'm not ready to say Artie is a bust just yet, but I do have concerns.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Pimply Dave

Pimply Dave Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Bust. Just like Dupree. He's lucky he wasn't cut. Most teams in this league would have cut him by now but Colbert and Tomlin picked so many busts that he still has a roster spot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Bud Dupree is athletically gifted and is a combine freak. How is that working out for him? There are a lot of guys who ate athletic beasts that suck in the nfl due to being bad FOOTBALL PLAYERS. The game is far more complex than just your athletic ability except for maybe a running back. He doesnt have the instincts or playmaking ability of troy. Nor does he have the awareness. You are comparing apples to oranges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Uh, no I am not.

I stated that a coaching change could help Terrell much like how it helped Troy. I never stated Terrell would transform into Troy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We need a new DC, and an entirely new defensive philosophy. We need to simplify defensive play calling. Most importantly there should only be one voice calling in the signals. Everything needs turned upside down and re done. Until that happens we will continue to waste talent. Hard to develop talent when you don't put them in a position to succeed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The point is that even a future HoFer didn't look good at first. Give Edmunds some time. It is two games into his first year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't get the comparison either, and anyone who thought Troy was going to be a bust wasn't paying attention to his college career.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the most disappointing thing about Artie's answers was that the most "obvious" response was staring him right in the face......"Popcorn ".....

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Popcorn....basically a scattershot approach to placing blame on lack of performance... Not singling you out @thesteeldeal, but how would Jalen Ramsey answer these questions.....? I guess this and that....I don't think so.... Dude came out firing double barrels at every QB in the AFC. Damn that was pimp, hate to admire some Jag player but that was bad azz. Right now our defense is Glass Joe in the Mike Tyson world and we need a contender...Burns just showed his mettle imo.. Defense needs a spark...Matt Thomas? idk but it's worth a shot.

20. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I wonder if he's just another scape goat like Mitchell....

Mitchell said he wasn't the problem .... It was poor communication and play calls....

Hhmmm..... We have the same issue!!!!

Why are they running two plays at the same time !??!?

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know turtle I think if he came out like Ramsey people would be laughing and bashing him at the same time. I'm know I'm guilty of this myself but when people are down on players no matter what the player says we are gonna find a way to rip it apart. I know Burns is the popular scapegoat right now but all the players coming from that last performance deserve some heat. Honestly I would have to go back and look at Artie's individual plays with a pure focus on him before I can truly judge his play. CBs are getting roasted left and right in the league. I see breakdowns all over our secondary so it's hard for me to pinpoint 1 guy as the culprit. Even Hilton looked lost last week. It seems to me that Burns is a much better man to man guy and when asked to play zone he gets confused. On quite a few of the TDs he surrenders it looks like he is expecting help or is confused about his responsibilty. So some may or may not be his fault.

I don't know about you but I've seen some nice glimpses from him in his 1st year and he looked like he was gonna be a good player for us if his growth continued and he gained experience. I saw ball skills and aggressiveness early on but he is definitely regressing. The question is why is that? and why does it seem to be happening with a lot of our players on D? I honestly believe their talent is being wasted and miscommunicated and schemed out of them. Somehow the way they are being coached and the things they are asking guys to do is leading to way too much thinking and not enough playing. That is why every season we have to hear about simplifying the defense. When does it become a defense that doesn't have to think so much and can start playing aggressively and downhill. We are constantly on our heels as a defense. We definitely need a spark and need to get back to being a aggressive ,swarming defense. Right now it looks like each guy is playing on his own island because of the uncertainty being created.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So basically Butler is not using Burns at his strength which is man to man? But trying to birth a defense which is based on using our #ones in crazy situations. So Dupree is free to marionette thru the offensive line and end up on the total opposite end of the LOS. I....just.....cannot.....forgive.....the......lack......of.......development......by.......our.......coaching........staff........in.......regards.......to........certain........players......
    Their drafting principle is to get the athlete and mold him.. Dupree has failed. Burns is failing, Edmunds is up in the air... Watt was spot on. thank geezus. Their tenure in the league is an automatic gauge for grading/production, but at what point does familiarity factor in?

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know turtle but that's just how I see it. I don't know how how else it seems our guys do not progress on a normal path of a NFL player. Some choose to blame it on the players and the drafting of the players. I just find it odd how we seem to do ok when we draft O, but this many misses on D?.... C'mon
    Hey it's just my opinion and I'll probably get labeled a " hater" by those who don't want to acknowledge the possibility that our defensive coaches,with who I include Tomlin in because that's supposed to be his forte especially secondary are not developing our defensive draft picks....

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m willing to wait until after tonight’s game to assess how Burns has responded.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jarvis was a bust because he lacked athletic ability and bad coaching.
    Bud is a bust because he never developed a pass rush move and coaching.
    burns a bust because coaching.
    Watt a freak despite coaching because of superior athletic ability.(shaz)
    Edmunds likely will be a bust because of the trend lol