1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Aug 21, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    they certainly had a say in him being hired as DC. He wasn't kept all these years behind LeBeau for nothing. The FO had promises to fulfill imo. But I think his time to prove himself will be over after this year. Call it a grace period. If the defense lapses continue all year, I think its safe to say he's out the door. Then Tomlin can pick and choose his own DC since he had Butler grandfathered in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's possible but it's a terrible way to run a football team then. You should trust your HC to make the decisions on his staff. Tomlin has to work hand in hand with his coordinators every day not MR Rooney...
    Unless Tomlin is incapable of being able to coach this defense based on his experience it should be his decision to make. He's been here long enough to have the power to hire and fire. If not then what is he really?

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I can only imagine the conversation between the Rooneys and Tomlin when the decision was made to move on from LeBeau. I'm sure the Rooneys explained to Tomlin how Butler was promised a shot at DC. What can Tomlin do, say no to the Rooneys? We all know the FOs love for continuity. I'm sure there was a compromise. Take Butler but you have more input?? Because you know MT wasn't going up to LeBeau and trying to change things as a young HC.

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely....the question is....Is Tomlins input making it better or worse. I just can't see Tomlin at this point in his career still going along with something based on the results we are seeing. He is either having a lot of input and it's bad or he's not having much of a say and it's bad. Either way it's bad and something major needs to be done to fix it. All these empty promises are getting old real quick...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Fowler also wrote about it, he said Tomlin didn't call the plays but "was active in meetings and game planning". It is more than a mole hill it is fact, many people reported this.......

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It doesn't even matter. Don't waste your time arguing. Whether he called the plays or not it's his responsibility as the HC to oversee and fix problems. If Butler sucks do something about it. The HC is ultimately responsible for the success or failure of the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is a very good point, how much of a difference is there between DL and KB? The only thing like you say is MT is not gonna stick his nose in on DL. I don't think KB is a bad coach but he don't fit Tomlin's system, jmo. A change needs to be made just so everyone can get on the same page cause if the coaches aren't how can the players be?

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Butler has not been able to find an answer since Shazier went down, but it’s not his fault entirely. Butler didn’t draft Burns and Davis with our 1st and 2nd picks a few years ago. Butler didn’t ignore the safety position in both the draft and free agency in the 2017 offseason even though it was the most obvious glaring need. Butler didn’t make John Bostic our #1 answer to losing Shazier this past offseason. Butler didn’t make Burnett - an in the box safety - our only significant free agent when our existing safeties are in the box types. Butler didn’t follow that up by acquiring Edmunds and Allen - even more in the box safeties. Point is, personnel decisions have been very questionable, and Butler is trying to cook a 5 star dinner with a 2 star bag of groceries in the middle of the defense and the secondary.

Don’t get me wrong, Butler’s scheming last Sunday was epically horrid. The mismatches he allowed the Chiefs to exploit show that he’s mentally outgunned by opposing OCs. However, he also lacks the talent in the middle of the defense and on the back end to run any kind of defensive scheme with anything more than below average success. To be successful this year we’ll need to score in bunches and get timely game changing plays from our very few defensive stars (like Cam’s forced fumble on a receiver last week that almost got us back into it).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

Good to see you Elvis :drinks:

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That was my point all along, Tomlin probably had more input during the week with the game planning but like I said he wasn't calling it on game day :shrug:.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well our gameplanning sucks too. Even before we can call a play from it....I'm assuming it was Tomlins gameplan to underestimate the football IQ of Mahomes...you know because we are smarter than everyone else....obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    agree wholeheartedly on the type and number of safeties we have. And the 17 draft was tough to pass on a safety, it was loaded.

It's not Butler's fault about building the roster but it seems he consistently doesn't use guys strengths. We have all these safeties yet we continue to put Bostic or Williams on guys down the seam, like the TE. Where is Matt Thomas and Edmunds our hybrid guy supposedly? Butler's stance on things seems very rigid.

welcome back :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The players suck too :shrug:

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know there sure are a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks on D. Unless you subscribe to the fallacy that we can only draft offense...which I don't. It's a coaches job to put payers in a position to succeed and we've seen plenty of video and commentary by current players and other teams players ( R Sherman) most recently commenting about miscommunication,predictably and scheme being a major flaw of this defense. So basically what you are saying is that all of our 1st and 2nd round picks on D aren't any good and reaches that no other team could of selected them and gotten more out of them then we are currently. Do you not see the regression in these players? I do. A coach is supposed to be able to " coach up" what he has at least somewhat. Unless you believe these coaches are getting the most they can out of them. I don't.
    I find it highly unlikely that we have a bunch of scouts that can scout O and a bunch that can't scout D.
    You think maybe the fact that we have or have recently had quality position coaches on the OL,WR RB is part of the reason our talent seems to develop on the offensive side of the ball,compared to the buffoons we have on the D. I do. Coaches should be able to "coach up" the players ....problem is who's coaching up,the coaches?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

What happened my man?! Everything okay?

Glad you are back!

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There's still no excuse once the players are on the field to not execute, missed tackles that's on them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Execute what a flawed gameplan? Tackling is obviously on the players but breakdowns in communication and blatant flaws in scheme,like having LBs on WRs. Is that the players fault for not keeping up? Is it the players fault that the coaches choose not to implement their "new " defense during the PS so guys can get used to running it? They claim they are going to do all these new things "hybrid" if you will ,then they don't practice it in game situations during the PS and we are still seeing LBs on WRs and TEs....
    Does the coaching get any blame in your eyes?

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Of course the coaches get some blame, but I put more on the players.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well if it's more the players and they suck....Tomlin gets the blame for drafting them then..

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Duh Tomlin doesn't draft the players on his own, Colbert is the GM I'm sure he has final say in personnel.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Duh...they draft according to how a HC wants to mold his team. The GM isn't telling the HC who to draft and how to run the team. They definitely work hand in hand on the final decision making but Tomlin has at least a 50% say in drafting. You seem like you want to absolve Tomlin of any blame whatsoever. Does he have control over his coordinators or is that someone else's responsibility too? It's the players fault....it's Colbets fault ...it's the coordinators fault....what does Tomlin do?

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For what it's worth and I make no excuse's for that horrid showing by the defense, however you look at the Vikings who are one of the top defenses in the league and they gave up 29 points to a gimpy Rodgers last week and are getting shocked by the Bills in their own house. Defenses this season are getting just shredded and you have to think the rules are favoring that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This is true. Defenses have been getting shredded. It is also true that Minnesota gave up 29 points.

That being said, I seriously doubt Minnesota has the same communication woes as the Steelers do.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Get lost dude, you're nothing but a hater. Blah blah say the same crap over and over.

25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Somewhat true but minny has had really 2 bad defensive outputs I can point to the last 2 seasons and that was today and the nfc championship. I can point to SEVERAL HORRIBLE defensive outputs by this steelers team.