1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers simplifying defensive game plan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Sep 20, 2018.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Butler 2.jpg 215px-The_Wizard_of_Oz_Ray_Bolger_1939.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe they are still trying to master the "Penny Package"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I will wait to pass judgment until after I see it in action!

4. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Is the defense so complex that it takes until the age of 30 to get it? Or is it that the guys in the secondary have the collective I.Q. of a bag of hammers? Remember, when the defense looked this bad after losing Shazier, it remained like that for the rest of the season, this probably isn't going to get better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The Steelers defensive plan is to sow confusion and cause mistakes. Mission accomplished!

(But for the wrong team...)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    What's troubling about this is that we saw these same communication problems last season and they did nothing to address them. They had problems with zone defense because of personnel so they said they would be playing a lot more man...but what have they been playing? A lot of zone coverage.

They had the entire off season to retool the defense and training camp and preseason to get the players up to speed on the changes. Players that have been playing football most of their lives and were good enough to be playing college ball, make it into the draft and be signed to contracts on a professional football team.

Player progression ( or lack of ) schemes and communication before, during and after the games are problems. Not being able to make adjustments during the game is a huge problem.
    The coaches are the main problem and it all starts with Mike Tomlin. The drama we see out of the players off the field and the inept play and calls we see during the games are a symptom and Tomlin is the cause.
    Not being able to address problems and take corrective actions as a team falls upon Tomlin's shoulders as the head coach so of course - he's the main problem.
    And this isn't the first season we've seen things come to a head like this under him.

How long will it be until he declares they are ready to "Unleash hell!"

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Maybe they are going to dumb down the D playbook communications for butler and tomlin..........

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the same crap is said year after year. BS. oh it's dumbed down. dumb butler. dumb MT. dumb porter. dumb olsavsky. dumb colbert. dumb rooney. hand the business over to the kids and watch it go down the tubes. thats how i feel about art2. it starts at the top and trickle's down through this organization. what exactly did butler do to be promised this job in the first place? this is supposed to be one of the best organizations in the league. we look silly. yes i'm pizzed. what a waste of a franchise qb and some of the best talent in the league. who the h&ll is in charge exactly? this is a professional football team, why do we need to dumb down anything? it evidently isn't coached well enough for the players to flourish. super bowl? we wouldn't make the toilet bowl at this point. this staff hasn't been able to adjust from season to season or game to game or play to play. more excuses for inept coaching. art and colbert do your jobs. :rules::emperor::noose::help::zombat::cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They basically won some games they shouldn't have because the other team dropped a pass or two or did something stupid.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow mac this is pretty scathing coming from you. You usually like to keep things relatively positive and on a even keel. I respect your knowledge and opinions and this post tells me all I need to know . Impossible to argue with what you are saying . Let's hope we can fix this mess much sooner than later...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    They haven't made it that far yet. We've only seen the IOU package.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Just heard some sound bites of Butter on 93.7 ,laughed my azz off!

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Or "Dollar" defense. Haven't seen him in that position yet as far as I am seeing.

14. Pimply Dave

Pimply Dave Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    LMAO. Try getting out of the laundry room and stop doing Tomlin's laundry for him and get off your knees. Apologists crack me up.

15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Word on the street is the penny package ain't worth a dime.

16. Pimply Dave

Pimply Dave Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Bring back Senquez Golson, if for no other reason, pure comedy gold. That dude would run out of the locker room at St Vincent's every year, trip over a coke can, and shatter his ankle or break his leg. The ORIGINAL "Mr Glass", that dude was downright hilarious.

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, what I posted was the truth. Go ahead and look up the defensive rankings under Butler and get back to me if I lied. And you have to be really into hating Tomlin to think that what I posted was a defense of him.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't "understand simplifying the defense", I thought that is what Butler did after Lebeau left?

Are we simplifying it EVEN MORE??????

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Burns certainly has the tools to stay with just about anyone but lacks the instincts to pick up the ball in flight. Catches are still being made when he has good position on the receiver. Its the obvious confusion that is most concerning. Did we not hire a new DB coach to fix this.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I still don't get it! Why were they playing vanilla defense in the preseason again?!

You're not calling what you would in the regular season for what reason?!

SMH something about preparation needs to change. Can't quite put my finger on it...

Maybe they need a play/coverage jar (like a swear jar, but for defense), someone's job is to walk around with formation cards and ask what the coverage is based on the call and personnel.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, this was poorly thought and inappropriate. Please try to have some courtesy. This is a high class joint.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yea dumber than a box of rocks

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  23. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  24. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe he just needs some glasses. It worked for Ricky Vaughn https://www.maxim.com/.image/t_share/MTQyNTExNzU5NzQ2NDA5Nzk4/charlie-sheen-maj-leaguejpg.jpg
    [​IMG]