1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell doesn't have to report at all this season.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Sep 19, 2018.

1. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    $2,566,587 the Steelers saved by this moron being ...well a moron.

Has it been posted that the Steelers removed him from the active roster?

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    chitown I was not singling you out personally, sorry if you took it that way.

The cap saving by letting him walk plus the savings this season will make the team able to sign players that actually want to help this team. Bell is interested in one thing, getting his 17. Letting him go will ease another distraction. Connor is an up and coming talent.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He is. I don't listen to rap anymore but growing up I hung with a group that listened to a lot of it, so I'm familiar with it. Bell is pretty good. He reached the top 10 on itunes.

Thats the tag I mentioned in another post. I think I thought only 1 first round was awarded though. I don't see him fetching 2 first rd picks at age 27 and a year away from football.

I wish Colbert could work out a trade for him this season. It would take several moving parts to come together, Bell agreeing to a sign and trade and a team willing to gamble they could sign him after the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Well he certainly is on his way to becoming the next heavyD ;)

5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Yeah, I should probably look things up before spouting off.
    :blush:

Help me out here: per Wikipedia, Bell has played five seasons (not counting 2018). That’s make him an unrestricted free agent (reached when the player has 4 or more accrued seasons). If he’s unrestricted and not tagged for 2019, there’s no Draft Pick Compensation when he leaves for another team.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think a player has to be tagged to receive a compensation pick. I think any FA that signs with another team makes you eligible but don't quote me on that.

But you were right about the team receiving 2 first rd picks if Bell signs with another team under the tag. I was just saying that I don't think any team would give up 2 picks for Bell.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You'd think a guy who was all in or the money wouldn't just punt the totality of the $14 mil he'd be sure of getting this yr. so I'm guessing he'll show up at some point, probably before mid season.

But, I don't understand Bells negotiating strategy. Sitting out for an extended period won't make him more valuable to future employers. If he sits a full yr, his value WILL go down. If he passes up half a yrs salary ($7mil), he won't get that back in the deal he signs next yr.

The max value strategy for Bell, was to report for the first game, cash his $14 mil of 2018 franchise tag pay checks, put up good stats and sign a big deal with someone else in 2019. What he is doing now us costing him money today, and costing him money tomorrow. It makes no sense. Ok, maybe he's afraid of getting hurt or getting over used. Fair enough, but I don't think he understands what his caution is costing him.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  8. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I think he understands very well. Contract negotiations are not pretty things. I remember being in some very nasty ones with a former employer and I was a union leader. The players have a CBA but negotiate their own contracts.

Bell knows exactly what he's doing. Some fans may not be up on how this stuff works though.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    All I know is judging by his antics... he aint staying in shape... if he comes back week 10 he probably will be 20 lb's overweight.

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Ok, if Bell knows exactly what he's doing. How is making more money in the long run, doing what he's doing, instead of taking all of his 2018 franchise tag salary and having a productive '18 to sell to future employers? He's costing himself money that he'll never get back. I don't get it, perhaps you can explain the logic to me.

11. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    We didn't get paid during work stoppages but the employer was denied our labor. If Bell doesn't make another dime, he has made enough money to supplement any future income he makes. The probability that he will be picked up by another team and sign a good tender is very high. Bell is an upper tier back in the NFL.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No he doesn't. There are those in the know who think the Steelers should have paid Bell but none understand what he is doing now.

He's screwing up, badly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    He’s (rightly) concerned about the very high number of touches he gets each season. That high number is a double-edged sword—it shows durability and leads to big stats, but it puts a lot of mileage on his body. Coupled with the already brief average career length of a running back, he’s probably decided “keeping it in the garage and only driving it to church on Sunday” will be more attractive to buyers than lots of miles and another year of stats he’s already more than proven he can generate.

He may not make as much money overall if he loses $8.6MM this season. But that assumes he plays out his next contract in full, and it assumes the total money is more important to him than the guaranteed portion. We know the latter isn’t true.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Music is subjective.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, not really. I can not like a style of music or particular song but I can tell if the person singing is good or bad at it.

I wouldn't be caught dead listening to what TB was just crooning about there but I can tell he can sing. The guy did have a top 20 hit.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was trying to find a nice way to say Bell's rap is a joke.
    I wonder if Terry's top 20 hit had anything to do with the song being a cover of a standard and Terry's popularity at the time...

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I knew what you were saying and I laughed when I saw the video. Still doesn't change my opinion. ;)

Bottom line, Bell is going to make money with his rap music.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Because of his popularity as an NFL player, not because his music is good.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Opinions vary.