1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I've never seen a Steelers coach fired...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BlueSteel, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well if I'm firing anyone it would be the ST Coach or D Coordinator.

But, it it coaching or is it lack of talent. I just don't think our players are very good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess we can say at least Tomlin is better than Johnny "Blood" McNally, who was Pittsuburgh's coach in the late 1930s. He didn't even show up to some games, and still didn't get fired by Art.

3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The defense has started off the same way that it finished last season...Maybe worse now with the new faces. A rookie QB just put up 40 + points without breaking a sweat.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    So far this season, could the results have been any worse if coach didn't show up....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    CBS Sports pick us to lose again on MNF:

Pittsburgh at Tampa Bay
    The Steelers can't get out of their own way both on and off the field. Two of the three B's -- Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown -- have made news for all the wrong reasons while 36-year-old Ben Roethlisberger is left trying to hold it all together. Big Ben threw for 452 yards and three touchdowns in last week's loss to the Chiefs but unless he can play defense too, Pittsburgh is in trouble. The Buccaneers, meanwhile, have one of the league's most explosive offenses thanks to the Ryan Fitzpatrick playing out of his gourd. Given Roethlisberger's road struggles, that porous Steelers defense and these ridiculous numbers from Fitzpatrick -- 78.7 completion percentage, eight touchdowns, one interception -- it's hard to see Tampa Bay losing.

Pick: Buccaneers 38, Steelers 28

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Perhaps you should consult with Bruce Arians, Todd Haley, and Dick LeBeau. "Oh no, Lonegranger, you don't understand stand. Either their contract expired or they retired." I'll bet these three guys will tell you they were fired.

7. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    He showed up?!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Touché

• Like Like x 1
  9. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Don't forget at least half of the scouting staff.

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Since the Steelers have had only 3 coaches since the merger, neither has anyone else!

11. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's a collective body of work, just not one or two items. Yes, 13-3. Get it, but poor performance in the playoffs. Only 3 wins in the last 8 playoff games?

No secret that they continually play down to the worse teams in the league. Since the Patriots are the standard bearers even with the players, do they play down to their competition? They play in a cupcake division but they still manage to beat up on the crappy Bills, Jets, and Dolphins. I can't remember when they lost to a crappy team or even had a crappy QB throw for 400 yards against them. Say what you will about them, but they rarely lose to the dregs of the league. With the Steelers, this is a rite of passage each and every year.

We are constantly being bombarded with how they are unprepared or look and play unprepared. Who's fault is that?

If he is to take credit for 13-3 seasons, he is then going to take the blame for this bunch of diaper wipes he has produced.

As far as losing the locker room, having guys take videos in the locker room, text out all kinds of random crap including crapping on a team mate does not indicate any control. Again, if we use the Patriots as an example, do we hear all this stuff coming out of their locker room?

Now, maybe it will turn around but I am not holding my breath if history is to be believed. He has done little in the past to right the ship and I see noting as of yet that he will fix these issues.

I like to give the HC every opportunity to produce a winner. He has had plenty of time, but we are still mired in the same old, same old stuff year in year out and now this year, with the Bell thing, it is all coming to a head.

Listen, no one gives a crap if you are winning. Things are all good and this stuff gets brushed over. When you lose, and lose badly, many folks start to look for the cracks in the armor and begin to pick at any scab they can find. Soon it gets infected and the only cure is to eliminate the offending member. In this case, the HC has a target on his back on every team.

Time will tell, if they go 8-8 or worse, then it is time for a change.

rutan

12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jay Hayes and Tim Lewis were both fired during Cowher's tenure.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you meant Steeler HC fired.Somethings will have to change if the losing, toxic
    behavior continues. The Rooney's have a brand they need to protect, can't have what is
    happening, people are turned off by the behavior of these over priced prima donas.

14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You are going to be disappointed if you think Tomlin is getting fired after a .500 season. It isn't happening. It would take a monumentally bad record for the Steelers to even consider firing him. I suppose 0-15-1 might do it but then again it might not.

15. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Mike Tomlin is under contract through the 2020 season. He will be the Steelers' head coach throughout his contract.

Perhaps the Rooneys sit him down and let him know they are sick of the negative perception surrounding the team and that he needs to get it under control. Maybe they let his contract run down to it's final season next year as a 'prove it' scenario.

The most likely scenario? Tomlin gets an extension in the offseason and a statement of approval from the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I honestly think if the Steelers don't make the playoffs Tomlin is fired. Before you all beat me up, let me give you my reasons based on observations. The Steelers are on the 3rd DB coach and yet they still look really bad despite new players being added. The offense looks identical to Haley's in that the bubble screen is used so much the same way it was when BA was the OC.

In fact if you look at the last 6 or 7 years you'll notice that the team has been getting progressively worse on defense and more and more inconsistent on offense. The common denominator is Tomlin, and if you look at items that have plagued the team in the last 4 years, nothing has been fixed, not even a hole plugged.

There is only person that has been the same in all that time, Tomlin, and judging the issues that the team has in just 2 games it is obvious that everything that was wrong with the defense last season still exists, no change even with new players. I'm also going off of the media, which is piling on the team right now and most pundits are saying the Steelers need a change and they are all pointing their blaming fingers at Tomlin.

I think Tomlin has to make the playoffs to save his job, he will last the season if the team implodes and has a losing season but I'd be willing to bet a losing season or 8-8 effort gets him canned on Monday morning after the last game of the season.

17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin will never be fired. He will walk away when he's done just like Cowher & The Emporer.