1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coaches Film shows how dumb Butler is

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    from Steelers Depot. Wow, butler is a soup sandwich

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Funny I was actually just going to post this. The guy has a good channel.

Echos my sediments that it's not the players as much as the coaching. Cover 2, Cover 2, Cover 2.

Wonder what we're running...

Think it's pretty funny (and depressing) that the one clip kept playing with people leaving the stadium.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought Butler would be a good DC, studying under a legend like LeBeau. Boy was I wrong.

How the hell did he survive last season. Tomlin had to get involved with the defense, so why did he keep him? To give him more time? Orders come from the top?

Or because Tomlin is inserting himself into the defense and forcing cover 2 onto Butler?

I don't know who is at fault here. Either way, this is bad, its depressing and they are in serious trouble.

Fitz has been on fire and Steelers will have to cover Evans and Howard. Could be another long night, Monday. :maintete:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You might be on to something......we may actually need some ground penetrating sonar to figure out what's going on inside Butlers thick skull.....:hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    So tired of seeing this soft zone get picked apart by offenses. Mahomes' 6 TDs is evident. It was easy passing against us last week. You don't put up those types of numbers with simply bad players.

The opposing offensive coaching saw some clear predictors in their game plan and took advantage of it. Patrick Mahomes did a great job of following this game plan IMO.

6. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Question: Is it really Butler? Didn't Tomlin play Cover-2 all day long at Tampa Bay? After what Harrison said, I wonder who is calling the defensive sets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Okie is over his head, and Tomlin is to blame. Popcorn.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Blast, the only saving grace will be that Fitz has one of his pick laden games. But it seems he has been rejuvenated since going to Tampa.

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay, I watched that, and I have to say while he is certainly right about the Steelers being predictable, I think I can temper a little bit of the blame for Williams on the Kelce TD reception. We know Williams would have not kept up with Kelce anyway, but to me it looked like Vince's assignment here was to spy the QB. If it that wasn't his assignment, then he got stuck looking in the backfield far too long for a QB who didn't have a RB with him.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hopefully. That and for whatever reason, Steelers seem to show up for Monday night games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I love that Depot actually breaks down film instead of spewing out article after article concerning nothing but nonsense like social media. They at least try to explain what they are seeing on the field, something that I almost never see from the more mainstream media.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's the scheme. If you don't have that generational player in there that is allowed to freelance and use his instincts and is athletic enough to get away with it, then it doesn't work. It's not putting guys in position to make plays.

These guys look like they're constantly scrambling on these drives. If you're yanking your play caller off the field on the regular, no wonder you have communication issues!

Shazier was able to diagnose and get to plays or at least disrupt them enough for the other guys to get there. (same with Troy) He also never left the field, so there was continuity there.

I'd wager to say the physical talent is there, it's just not being given a chance to show itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I didn't need the Coaches Film to know this.

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    When you watch the coaches film, you could almost swear we only had 9 guys out there.

I think one of the problems Butler has is also this: for years it's been about how Lebeau's defense was complex, and players took too long to learn it so rookies never played etc. etc.

One of Butler's tasks was to simplify it and improve communication. But it seems he's taken out the difficult bits... and not replaced them with any new ideas. So we're left with something terribly vanilla that doesn't really seem suited to the player's skills. If you want an ILB to cover Kelce, then put the fastest guy you've got out there. If you're leaving a slower guy in... then use him in some way to take advantage of that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It's really alarming that they still looked confused a lot of the time. Either Butler isn't very good at explaining what he wants done or the players aren't very smart. Or I suppose the look of confusion comes from simply being out-schemed, I guess.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It reminds me that Manchester United used to do this thing when they had a free kick. Two players would run up to take the kick at the same time, then stop and start having an argument over who was meant to take it. But it was all staged, hoping the defence would relax, so the designated kicker could catch them off guard.

I don't think it ever actually worked, but it was quite funny to watch.

Every time I see our D lining up and questioning where they're meant to be, I always cling to the hope that it's some elaborate staging to convince the offense they're confused when they're actually not.

I've yet to not be disappointed. :(

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They used to do it with Troy.

He'd walk up and turn his back to the line like he was trying to check a play then make his move on the snap.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, this was pretty good, I'll have to check this out more.

Does anyone know if Hodge does film breakdown? He's my favorite analysis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I just don't get why we have LBs on WRs. Playing zone against a rookie QB. At least play cover 2 man and make him look around and give our pathetic d-line a chance to get to him. Make him make a difficult pass, it was pitch and catch. Playing zone, two guys over the top, and still giving up 30-40 yard passes. I rather play man and get beat like that.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The players look confused because they probably realize they are being forced into mismatches and the defensive play call isn't designed to stop what they are seeing. They may be attempting to check into a different look and it's just not being communicated correctly or quicky enough. Thus you get 2 different looks being played on the field. Remember big guys can't be told what to do by little guys....
    I'm surprised more teams don't go uptempo against us but you are seeing us caught in substitutions more and more frequently.
    That's the problem with a lot of this sub package stuff is you might not get the chance to get who you want on the field at critical times. When you factor in the predictability of the D you can pretty much dictate whatever mismatch you want. It's the old run the play until they stop it and when you continually get the same look based on your offensive alignment it's always there fore the taking. It seems like by the time the D adjusts ,the O is already on to the next mismatch and taking advantage of the other scheme flaws....

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Here's more data - https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...nk-at-the-chiefs-and-it-didnt-matter-nfl-news

Either this is an indication that the talent on D is lacking no matter what is done, or it is so vanilla, even with many looks, that it is easy to decipher. I kinda long for the days of "the D is too complex for rookies to grasp", because it also seemed true that it was too complex for rookie QBs to figure out.

We also seem to lack that true playmaker that (a) QBs know to avoid (e.g., Shazier, Troy), or (b) blow up plays. Not enough of that these days.

This is embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This defense is so bad, I think it's everything. Lack of talent, lack of coaching, and horrible scheme.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This. Well done!

I personally made a case for Myles Jack to be our first round selection back in 2016 to solve two issues at the time;

1.) Have Jack split time with Lawrence Timmons and get him furthet acclimated into the system. When he was comfortable, allow him to fully take over for Timmons.

Most importantly though..

2.) In the event that something bad would keep Ryan Shazier out for a period of time, Myles Jack would have been one heck of a contingency plan.

Looking at what Myles Jack is doing for the Jaguars (including a brand new coverage concept he is the main star of no less) and how Artie has progressed, I understand that Myles may not have fixed the pass defense as a whole as that was the main point of emphasis heading into 2017 but he might have been a wondeful contingency planplan in terms of what has happened to Ryan Shazier.

He may not be as fast but, at UCLA, he played every linebacking position, Weakside Defensive End, Strong Safety and Slot Corner. Add his explosive characteristics and measureables (physically speaking) and it does make me wonder as to why Tomlin and Colbert did not at least give him a look.

24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    in that clip Davis is helping the corners in coverage, I would think he would help the linebacker downfield, plug the middle of the field, but he drifts right like he needs to support our corners, and in each of thos clips he was NOT in a position to make a play, just playing soft perimeter, ok, i think he should have pressed and stayed in the middle of the field to help w the linebacker in coverage, Davis seemed klind of useless out there, I only see him bumping players who have broken tackles , I know he is the last line but.... maybe also KC has so many weapons, Hill, Hunt Kelce, tough, tough day for D