1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers trying out punters

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Sep 18, 2018.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Let me know when they're trying out DC's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    DEFENSE. DEFENSE. Where or where is the DEFENSE???! Punter is the least of our mountain of worries...

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Let's all ignore the smaller problem just because there is a bigger one. I swear, I am amazed at what passes for logic around here sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    So by your logic, treating a "cut" is far more important than a "sucking chest wound"? IS that what you mean?

5. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    People saying "who cares about punters, the defense is a bigger problem!" are missing the point.

There seems to be a pattern of Steelers "nepotism" where certain players are kept on the roster despite superior players being available. Keeping Berry over Wile who clearly outperformed him in preseason (and so far in the regular season) is just one example. Until we got Switzer can someone tell me why we had Toussaint returning kicks? Or why we kept Toussaint over almost any other backup RB? Or why we have continued to keep DHB despite the fact he offers almost nothing as a WR and only really offers ST value? It's worth nothing we've had bottom 5 STs play so I question how much value ANY ST only player is adding.

We joke that the kept players must have compromising pictures of Tomlin and that's why they're kept around despite being inferior. However, it's no longer a joke -- this "nepotism" is costing us games. I wish we would keep the better player -- not the one who is "Tomlin's guy".

6. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Who are these better players who were cut because Tomlin kept someone worse? You mention Wile and Toussaint. I don't recall cutting any good rbs to keep Toussaint. So the only guy you've got so far is the punter. Not sure I see the trend you seem to think is there.

7. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    I would have rather kept Terrell Watson or Karlos Williams over Toussaint.

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Speaking of logic, why wasn't this problem addressed sooner, it's been an issue for awhile now. The time to make the change was when there was another kicker in camp who wasn't getting outperformed, and was a better value. I guess Berry was expected to improve in the first 2 games of the season. Coach logic.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Coach has seen the light. He's going to turn this thing around, starting with the punter. And long snapper.

10. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'd heard, I think from a Ray Diddinger report, that during the season some kickers and punters travel around together kind of like carnival workers and are ready to try out for whichever team has a guy struggling. Unless you're Adam Vinaterri or Gostkowski or someone like that, I guess it's smart to rent and not buy if you're a kicker.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    As the beloved ship begins to sink into the chilly waters after impaling itself on a behemoth iceberg, Steeler Management continues the bizarre and futile task of rearranging the deck furniture. :huh:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Really not understanding the criticism here. Just because the defense sucks it doesn't mean they should ignore the punter sucking as well.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He's was the long snapper for the Jags last year. He actually played against us in the playoff game, but they waived him in June this year, Colin Holba he's currently a FA. Who knows maybe they brought him back in for a look.

14. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    How about a DC who is also a decent punter... there has to be some way the team can work a creative incentive clause here.