1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers trying out punters

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Sep 18, 2018.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    got an update from the 247 site said they tried out a couple of punters and a long snapper today.
    Don't know who or if true... Makes the WilE cut even more frustrating. Although I don't honestly know how he's looked with his new team. Was it the Vikes?

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Who evaluates the talent on this team? Clearly, Wile was the better punter in preseason.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tomlin said in the presser today they were looking at options. If true that is some fast organization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Damn I should have been working on my long snapping and punting abilities.

:cool::yeehaw:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I never got the memo. I feel like I might have a chance here lol

Payday baby! holding out for 10 weeks :dancing:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Good. Berry’s level of performance is unacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Now will you and others admit Colbert and his scouting staff are not getting the job done?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Can we audition a couple of defensive coordinators while we're at it?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Once they are in camp it is generally up to the coaching staff. Colbert resigned Berry, Tomlin and co kept him when he was outplayed in camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This so called football team has just lost it. This year is doomed

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    From 24/7 Sports: "The Pittsburgh Steelers worked out veteran punters, Jeff Locke and Justin Vogel, and a long snapper, Nick Meadows, on Tuesday according to Mark Kaboly of The Athletic. Locke is a former fifth-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings out of UCLA, but he has also had stints with the Indianapolis Colts, Detroit Lions and San Francisco 49ers. Vogel, who was undrafted out of The University of Miami, punted for the Green Bay Packers last season and spent training camp in 2018 with the Cleveland Browns. Meadows is an undrafted free agent long snapper out of West Virginia."

Never heard of any of these guys. This is like our place kicker dilemma several years ago. If they had only picked up Andy Lee from Pitt many years ago, the decade and a half drama would have never materialized. He's still kicking for someone I believe.

13. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I'm talking about more than Berry. Try the lousy defense picks over the 4 years or so.

14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Chris Boswell had a similar (lack of) pedigree. That’s worked out pretty well.*

(*—This season’s early troubles excluded.)

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Didn't we just use a 6th round pick not to long ago on a LS?????? :facepalm:

16. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    well, your post responded to a thread about punters and you included a quote mentioning punter so, you know...

Anyway, I agree talent acquired is clearly an issue. But so is player development and scheme. And, remember, it is Tomlin, Colbert, and Rooney who make final draft decisions (so they say). There isn't a silver bullet fix or blame to the problem as many fans like to believe. Talent evaluation needs to get better, drafting needs to be better, player development needs to be better, and the scheme needs to be better. If I were handing out "blame" tickets, Tomlin and Colbert would each get one. So would Rooney II (but fans really despise it when someone says such things).

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he's flipping burgers currently

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Whoops. Guess that preseason competition didn't do much to fix Berry's inconsistent kicks. Not that any of us are surprised by that.

19. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Seriously, why even bother with a veteran who couldn't stick with another team? Sure, it worked out okay with Boswell, but I would think they're kind of limiting themselves to retreads. Why not do an open tryout for punters? Maybe you'll find a gem in there?
    As for the long snapper, who knows. I didn't realize there was much of a problem with Canaday. Is he injured?
    I guess the big question is who holds for extra points and field goals? Wasn't Berry doing that currently?

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Berry is holding and I think there may be some hesitation in changing punters especially with Boz struggling. Honestly I think it was a scare tactic nothing more nothing less

• Like Like x 1
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This secondary got picked apart sunday, so their focusing on punters this week, it just gets dumber and dumber as each week passes, they let their best punter go in preseason and now it's a concern all of a sudden, no wonder fans hate this key Stone kops coaching staff....

• Winner Winner x 4
  22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    That's similar to last year, we struggled on defense so we get rid of the offensive coordinator....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sorry DOB i didnt see your thread on this and started another. yes i'm pizzed about this mess. who the h&ll is running this operation? :facepalm::cool:

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought he was on the Jags last season or the Eagles. It was one of the playoff teams

• Like Like x 1
  25. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Thank God we're focusing on the real problem: Stupid punters giving up 87 points the last two home games!!

(yes, I know our punter sucks)