1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 16, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just wondering....is there a actual strategy being taught on the sidelines. I mean when the D comes off the field after having their asses handed to them,is there anyone greeting them to go over the X and Os as to what just happened ? It seems to me that only after a repeat of having their lunch money taken 4 or 5 times during the game Tomlin comes over and tries to Rah-Rah them into playing better. Meanwhile Butler just stands there the whole game looking dumber than his defense.....

• Like Like x 2
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    you don't see them going over x's and o's like other teams on the sidelines do. I did see the Tomlin huddling them on the sidelines in what looked like more of a rah rah into playing better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Here is something to ponder about the communication issues. They brought in two new guys who were supposed to be good communicatorstuff however Tomlin doesn't choose captains, let alone leaders. So you have a bunch of rookies, second year guys and newly hired Vets but no one wants to step up and step on some toes. So basically you have no one telling guys where to line up, who to cover or what to audible to.

Also on the Blitz we are back to doing the same thing again, front three plus the two outside with maybe Dupree trying to come inside a few times. No confusion at all just same boring blitz they did with Woodley and Harrison when the guys actually got home on it.

4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I have been saying since we drafted Heyward and Tuitt, that they are not pass rushers. They were drafted to be 3-4 DEs. That was mistake number one. Drafting guys to play a defense than what they were not intended for.

3-4 Defense needs LBs. ILB and OLB. Especially OLB. And we know how that has turned out. That's why its four of them on the field. When you don't have at least two great ones, the defense will falter.

I think we can field 4 DL better that we can field 4 LBs.

Heyward, Tuitt, Alalu, Walton or Shade Tree

Williams, Watt, Dupree, Bostic?

Who's the better group?

I think we can find a better passing rushing DE/DT in college then we can find an OLB to rush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What happened to the dollar defense package? The front seven wasn't getting the job done, why not go to 7 DBs.

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers need players.
    Mack is killing it in Chicago

Dupree gotta go.

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Burns and Davis are in their 3rd year. The young moniker no longer applies. They need to deliver

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’d have to find it I read a old link from BTSC about who gets to wear the green dot and Tomlin was asked if someone like Gay could wear it and Tomlin said something to the effect that a small guy can’t tell a big guy what to do Wtf does that mean on a football field? So if someone knows the calls better than someone else he can’t get the green dot because he’s smaller. I could be wrong I didn’t get a chance to read the whole thing but that seemed to be the gist of it. I have to find it..this is it....whaaaaat?

No. Nobody wants to take instructions from a little man in a huddle. Let’s be honest. Football is a big man’s job. We’re not going to stand Will Gay in front of Tuitt and them and tell him to tell the group to shut up because he’s going to deliver the information. That’s just the reality of it. That’s another element of football play that people ask about that I laugh when I get that question. Big guys don’t like to take instructions from little people.

Is that why he don’t tell Butler what to do?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Just the same BS that they’re gonna change this and that and then they change nothing . Still using LBs to cover TEs nothing different

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I think they're stupid...Seriously. Pre snap, everybody is looking around, pointing, out of position...Then after the play...Guys running wide open, Watt covering a WR deep...Always biting on double moves...Not only can they cannot communicate, or cover...They can't tackle!

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It goes back to the Bullcrap they do in preseason! This garbage of not running your offense or defense in preseason is just that...GARBAGE!

How are you going to work out your issues if you're not running what you're going to run in the regular season?

How is your new Offensive coordinator going to test how his playcalling and work out kinks if he's not using the playbook?

Same with the defensive coordinator. Something isn't working. I thought he was supposed to simplify the defense? How is having more communication problems simplifying?

Clock management is a joke with this team and still, they almost got enough time for the last play against the only team that does it worse.

You know they're going to run on first down and you give up a 9 yarder...SMH!

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I agree Butler has to be replaced. Tom Bradley could move right in to that role. Rex Ryan? Don't need that drama queen here their is already enough of that.

Burns I was hoping would finally put it together. Same result so far. Looks like the bust label might have to be added. Some just can't be reached.

Davis I believe still has potential to be a solid player.

Dupree. Should be his last season here period.

Edmonds is still learning.

Tuitt. Where you at bro? Add Heyward to that list.

Having an OLB on a receiver is just mindless. Enough of the Tom Foolery. It's not working. Back to basics.

Zone coverage and the whole I need to stay in my little box has to be addressed. Read and react. It's ok to come out of the box.

Covering tight ends with a safety or corner should be key going forward. Most of these tight ends including our own are receivers first.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    What ? you mean we aren't going to be able to confuse the opposition to death with our 9 safety and 2 DL look we've been hearing about all offseason? I don't see anything changing with his D unless Butler is fired or there's a total shift in philosophy that I'm not sure either he or Tomlin are capable of. The only solution at this point after 3 or 4 years of excuse making and empty promises is to bring in someone outside the organization to install a very basic D that can be implemented right away. Something simple and effective enough to tread water for a few weeks and just try to be competitive enough to give our O a chance to carry us for a bit. Then hopefully we can start to add wrinkles that are simple enough to learn as we go.....hoping that by the end of the season we have a unit effective enough to have a fighting chance in the playoffs if we can get there. The current state and direction we are headed with this D is downhill....

Old ways won't open new doors.....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well last year we saw Davis try to cover Gronk :facepalm:, they need to use a combo of LB and S to cover these good TEs.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That's exactly what Jax did yesterday to Gronk....

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree 100%. Steelers should have started drafting 4-3 players right AFTER the Super Bowl XLV loss to the Packers. Rodgers, Brees and Brady eat 3-4 D's for breakfast... 3-4 D's who don't have Von Miller on their roster.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They need to get Matthew Thomas some snaps, take Bostic off the field on third downs.