1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ben spotting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Jun 30, 2012.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  2. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  3. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    that's my kind of 12 steps
    18 HOLES !
    nice post STEEL

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's because she was so cute. He probably would have kicked me in the nuts....

Just kidding....

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's pretty cool that Ben does'nt mind having a stalker. I mean if you think about it it WOULD kinda be an honor.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as long as no stories come back with them.

maybe he made her caddie for him? :shrug: :cool:

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    How is it rehab when he's gettin in 18 holes a day? :D

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cool story, that's awesome for that Steeler fan and her dad. There are alot of these goodwill stories popping up about Ben, it's not going to do much to win over the crowd that doesn't like Ben though. There will be those who cling to the past negative stories like a binky and there will be those who think it's a ruse. I've said it a dozen times, Ben came into the league a good guy and just lost his way with fame and fortune. He hit rock bottom and straightened his ass out.

I posted this link a couple weeks ago to another feel good story about Ben but it didn't get any play around here, must have been a slow week on the message boards :sleep:

http://triblive.com/home/1977462-74/roe ... 2012-april

I like these couple of parts by Colon;

“People love to talk about when you are down and doing wrong,” Colon said. “But they don’t say anything when you are a married man, not cheating on your wife, having a kid, being an example in the community — they don’t want to talk about that. When you are on the straight and narrow, getting your life together and doing the right things, nobody wants to talk about you.”

and...

“You are always going to have the (jerks), so to speak, that will say some negative about what he’s doing,” Colon said. “For the people who know him and love him, we know where he is at. People have to start clapping on how his progression has been and forget about all the things he has been through.”

But people on a message board and opposing fans everywhere know Ben better then his teammates and the people closest to him.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the stuff I'm talking about when I write on here that it's not okay to hate Ben. It's great to love him, but apparently it's not okay to hate him. Great, Ben does good things and stays out of trouble these days, good for him. I don't like him based on his past actions and I probably never will like him. Neither you, nor I, nor his teammates know for sure whether he did anything inappropriate with those girls. Only Ben and the girls know. Combine that uncertainty with how he treated people for a long time, and I have no respect for someone like that. Why some of you are so hell bent on changing my mind I have no idea. I am not trying to convince you to start hating Ben, why do you care if I don't like him?

If he truly is a good guy, it will show in the end. If he truly is what I think he is, that will come back out in time too. In the meantime, we may as well agree to disagree.

10. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben's "rehab" = interacting with a pretty female and not having the police called in. :praying:
    Although I got a little worried toward the end of the article when she stated: "I was really touched". False alarm. :facepalm:

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Guilty conscious much, Shaner? Where did I mention your name? I know I am not going to convince you or others to change their mind, I said as much in my first paragraph, didn't you see that? I'm sure it rubs you the wrong way that all these good things are being written about Ben, makes it harder to defend your stance. It was much easier for you and others when Ben was being a dickhead. Hate whoever you want Shaner, you come across as a hate monger, that's your problem. If you can't see how inherently wrong your post is, well that's also your problem. You're going to roll around in your hate like a pig in mud and continue to ignore that people who actually KNOW Ben are dispersing the myth that he's some horrible human being.

12. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

14. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    First of all, thanks for the link. It's a refreshing story about #7.
    Ben has become a very polarizing topic of discussion for Steeler Nation. My family and I experienced his sense of entitlement at TC for a few years in Latrobe. He was by far the most distant of all the Steeler "star" players. I've heard the stories about his treatment of people in the 'Burgh and of course the terrible allegations that he was punished for by the NFL.
    The bottom line is that nobody knows the full extent of the truth. We can speculate all we want but the fact remains that we just don't know.
    What I do know is that people can and do change all the time. It's just as short-sided to suggest that he's a terrible person as it is to think he should be absolved of all his past behaviors.
    The truth typically falls somewhere in the middle and I think that's probably accurate here.
    It's hard to change and Ben seems to be making a concerted effort to do just that. I applaud him for the turn-around and to suggest that it's all a PR stunt is self-serving to one's own opinion of the topic.
    The fact remains that we just don't know. All we can do is draw conclusions based on his behavior now and moving forward.
    A reasonable response in my opinion would be to judge him based on his present behavior and attitude like he was judged for his past behavior and attitude.
    I for one am willing to do that for him as I would anybody else.
    Just my two cents.

15. SteelerLady

SteelerLady Active Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Very, very well said!!

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

18. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Numbah, consider me a fan. Great post, well said. I think alot of what you said about Ben and his perception are similar to many other situations, like when fans jump to the "diva" **** when players want more money, or say something on twitter. It's something I've noticed about America today, society seems perpetually outraged or looking for something to outrage them. Then it's a battle of who is more extreme: fire him!! Trade him!!! Cut him!! Jail for life!!!!! Off with his head!!!!!!! Etc.

19. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    One of the things you learn in sales management is to judge the performance not the person. Your favorite person may have the worst performance and you have to deal with that. In Ben's case, everyone judged his alledged performance based on their own interpretation. The positive performances should be judged the same way. Kudos to him for turning things around.

20. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Not harder to defend. Just harder to understand why some people can't see a PR move coming at them like a mack truck. Blind much...[/quote:1j6odnhp]

Another stranger who thinks he knows Ben better then his family and friends. Conspiracy nut huh?[/quote:1j6odnhp]

And I could spin the mirror back at you. You don't know me at all or even Ben for that matter.

Let's be clear, I believe every word of this piece. It serves nothing to think otherwise. But, if you don't think this is something to balance the scales then if i'm conspiritorial you are gullible.

If you aren't then why don't we read about every star athelete that doles out an autograph?

No big deal, just calling it as I see it man.

PS- I don't get into conspirasies...

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Another stranger who thinks he knows Ben better then his family and friends. Conspiracy nut huh?[/quote:1vvt48pe]

And I could spin the mirror back at you. You don't know me at all or even Ben for that matter.

Let's be clear, I believe every word of this piece. It serves nothing to think otherwise. But, if you don't think this is something to balance the scales then if i'm conspiritorial you are gullible.

If you aren't then why don't we read about every star athelete that doles out an autograph?

No big deal, just calling it as I see it man.

PS- I don't get into conspirasies...[/quote:1vvt48pe]

Any spin you put on it is totally self serving, you'll just bend it to fit your beliefs. I don't claim to know Ben at all, but I think even you would agree that Colon does. So rather then take 3rd party stories and gossip as the gospel, I'll put more stock in what his friends say. If you think Ben has gotten married, went back to school to get his degree and is having a child as a PR stunt and a way to balance the scales, I'm sorry but you are a conspiracy nut of the highest order. There is nothing even remotely gullible about it, the fact that you think so is just mind boggling :blink:

22. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben took the heat for all of his bad actions. He is entitled to credit for his good action.

23. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Word :good:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    lol, I haven't heard that in forever, must be a fellow big 80's compatriot :music:

25. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nope, haha I was born in 93. I just say it because I like the way it resonates :lolol: