1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New member - First post - my frustrations on yesterday’s game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerFaninSocal, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    You're funny. In your last sentence above you surmise that I just wanted to make an incorrect assumption after you made an incorrect assumption in your second sentence above by lumping me in as a "hater" because I pointed out your hypocrisy.

You are making my point with this post far more eloquently than I could. You bash people for "just wanting to make an incorrect assumption" after you incorrectly assumed that several of your fellow posters didn't get hugs from daddy or only play video games or other such nonsense.

So again, we get it: it's bad to make assumptions...except when you do it.

2. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018

But it's okay for you to make assumptions.

And I know they didn't get hugs from daddy. Bitter people don't come from functional families.

3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'm not aware of any assumptions I've made to this point as all the quotes I referenced in my original post came directly from you.

Watch how this works:

From reading your posts in this thread I could assume that you are a child psychologist, a time traveler who visited all of our homes on every Christmas morning to record whether or not we got the toys we wanted, perhaps Santa himself?, a WWII Tuskegee Airman, or Tammy Faye Baker since you couldn't resist throwing some Jesus at us.

However, because you posted 20 times complaining that you hate when people complain in their posts I know you are a hypocrite.

As for the folks who complain often, I think groutbrook is right. Heinz and RealSteel's schtick is a "running gag" on this board just like pimply Dan quotes or Coastal hating LOLandry. You should take it as such.

But even if it was just complaining, it's their right to do so. Just as its your right to disagree or simply not read them. TTF has set this up to be an open exchange of ideas regarding the team we all love and puts very few restrictions on it. Don't be that person who thinks that everyone is entitled to an opinion so long as its the same as yours.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This thread has encapsulated the essence of sports message boards since the inception of the internet. Optimists vs. Pessimists. Pollyannas vs. Haters. Those that wear black and gold colored glasses and drink Kool-Aid vs. "Trolls" and those that drink the Hater-Aide. The thing to keep in mind is that, despite of what "side" you belong to, in the end we are all here on this particular board for the same reason. We follow that professional football team that is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I've been here since near the inception. I tried to join the old "official" Steelers board and was never given access by the admins. I tried 10 or so times. I was relegated to viewing only. I didn't mind...90% of the time my opinion was closely shared by somebody else that was a member with the ability to post. To this day, I am not much of a poster myself...100 posts in 7 years...but I'm here every single day. I cherish this board and thank those that maintain it so that we can have a place to banter and watch those that banter about our Steelers. It's a salvation for me many times a day. It's where I get hard news, indulge in rumors, and escape to like-minded individuals after a huge win, a devastating loss, and everything in between.

Over the last 7 years, a lot of posters have remained the same. Some have left, but a solid foundation remains. Some are ever critical and some are eternally optimal. A lot are both, depending on the game. And some (myself included) read as much as we can from all camps whilst pumping our fist at what we firmly agree with, nod at what we somewhat agree with, shake our head at what we don't agree with, and clench our fist at what we vehemently don't agree with. It's what gives this board flavor and keeps it interesting and relevant.

Welcome to the board! I hope you gain as much out of it as I do, if not more.

To the issue at hand...this past game. Here are my thoughts, in no discernible order:

-I thought Ben moved a lot better this game than he has in the past 5 or 6 years. He seems to have regained a little of his mobility that made him great in the early parts of his career. The 5 turnover stat line is horrendous. However, drilling down on those, here's what I saw in real time (haven't seen any replays): The first was a bad decision forcing to Brown...100% on Ben. The 2nd was bizarre, was it a wrong route ran by Brown or just a bad throw by Ben? Either way, it was essentially a punt since it was a bomb and Brown made the immediate tackle. The third hit James in the hands...the defender flashed in front of him which might have distracted James, and the deflected pass fell into the arms of a defender. Hard to say where the fault of the fumbles lie, Ben for holding on too long or the OL getting beat. I really want to know about the one in overtime since Ben was going deep...was the receiver open? Admittedly I walked out of the bar, fists clenched and didn't see the reply from the wide angle downfield. That could have iced the game if he had .5 more second to throw. Or not. I digress.

-Conner is such a great story. All that he's overcome to start this game, putting in the work this off season to rehab from his injury, showing up ready to play, and putting up the numbers he did. Just amazing to me. 192 yards from scrimmage and 2 TD? Those are Bell numbers. I will say he seemed to fade as the game went on, which is understandable given his age/experience and the field conditions. You'd like to see your back get stronger as the game goes on (with the lead). Bettis was great at that. But Bettis is in the Hall of Fame. This is Conner's first start. I won't fault the kid though, 36 touches catching and receiving...that is Bell territory. You have to think he will only get better with more touches, more comfort with the OL and Ben.

-The defense pleasantly surprised me. Watt looks great, as he did in the first game last year. I hope he can keep up the pace. I will say the sacks I remember were of a hustle variety, due to coverage vs. cleanly beating his tackle off the ball. I could very well be wrong, and even if that's true I don't care. He finishes. If he can add a strip sack move to his repertoire, he will be deadly and the fan base will be deathly afraid of his contract situation in 3 years. Hilton just seems to excel as a nickle/slot defender. He seems sticky in coverage. Haden going down is a bummer. Burns is a hot head and that can be exploited by a OC/WR if he doesn't get that under control. The safeties seemed okay to me.

-Switzer has added a sizzle to the return game that has been absent (outside of Brown) for years. Granted, it's only 1 game, but this seems like a great pickup by the FO while giving little away in return. He breaks one to the house before the bye week IMO.

-Tomlin. I readily admit that I think Tomlin is a good coach that seems to be appreciated more of those outside of Pittsburgh than in it. The bar is set very high in the Steel City, and with the likes of Noll and Cowher as his predecessors, it has to be that way. HUGE shoes to fill. Two trips to the Super Bowl in a coach's first 4 years with one victory doesn't buy as much good will here as it might in other places. I understand the criticisms, I do. I just look around the league and I don't seem many coaches that I'd rather have.

-Big Picture: The Steelers are 0-0-1 after 1. 1/2 game out of first in the division. 1/2 out of first place in the conference. It would not surprise me to see them beat KC 35-14 next week. If they lose 35-14 next week, it will be cause for concern. But that is next week's discussion. At this point, based off of what I saw, I choose the optimistic route. Ask me again next week (just not minutes after a loss).

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought you were joking with the 100 posts thing, until I checked. Could have sworn you posted more.

Anyways, I think this post wins the thread, hands down.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You left out DR Phil. I had no idea he was a die hard Steeler fan. He is so out there I really think he believes he's in the Matrix....unbelievable.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    What the hell man? What is your problem? You waited in the weeds all this time,stalking just waiting to get your chance to come out here and post respectful and educated thoughts. I don't know who you think you are coming at us with this open mind and modest opinions........but I like it. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You do have a right to disagree ,no one said you didn't. You just don't have to act like a jackass while doing it...

Not the best first post on a new forum? Especially after we played poorly? Says you and guess what that's 'your' opinion.....see how that works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

:D

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Lol, beat me to it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Great post by M. Conners, but he lost me at "whilst"...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    What you need pics of Tomlin being a bad football coach? There's video every Sunday and sometimes Monday and Thursday....:smiley1:

13. DSteelerCT

Nov 15, 2011
    BTW, there was some tremendously poor QB play this weekend. Maybe Ben isn't all that bad and those who say they should play more in the pre-season are on to something...

• Like Like x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What's up with your fixation with daddy? If you must know, my dad was a casual NFL fan. He never had a "favorite" team. He is more into NCAA football (VA Tech/ (Big East back in the day) ACC /SEC) than NFL. He was a big Boston Celtics fan of the 1970's and 80's. He has a lot of respect for the 70's Steelers team... also has a lot of respect for Heath Miller and Hines Ward, but was never a true Steelers fan.

I chose the Steelers on my own at the age of 7, 1979 season. I noticed this black and yellow team was on TV a lot and they were fun to watch. Super Bowl XIV happened and I've been a fan ever since.

As far as my critical, negative nature is concerned... I've been watching this team long enough to know it's tendencies.... when the team is going to have a good season and when the team is going to have a down year and in need of an infusion of new talent. IMHO, Steelers are in rebuilding mode on defense, but have a championship caliber offense. It's gonna take a few years, drafts, FA acquisitions, etc, to get back to the Super Bowl. The Steelers will continue to struggle mightily against the better teams this year... Patriots, Saints, Jaguars and probably Chiefs on Sunday.

My critical views of the Steelers have nothing to do with any childhood issues. I had an excellent childhood, grew up in the 70's and 80's... Star Wars, GI Joe, MTV, Vinyl records, Cassettes, CDs, BMX bicycles, etc.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes but not to the point of blind optimism

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No of course not Busman.
    I don't think that's what he saying h I don't think that's what he saying.
    There are a handful of people here that 90+ percent of their posts are negative.
    it's annoying as hell and when you're just trying to enjoy the team you love and root for when some jack ass is bashing them nonstop.
    Anyway I'm gonna be done with this subject my advice to matrix is to just put those half dozen people on your ignore list and be done with it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I totally agree with that. I try not to be overly critical or negative considering we are just fans and dont run the team and definately do not have inside information on the running of our beloved team

There is a new league I read about recently which allows spectators to call in the plays.. Perhaps people that are disgruntled and frustrated should consider joining lol

• Like Like x 2
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    and with that one line we just faded away into obscurity

19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    After watching the game Sunday, I suspect the NFL allowed spectators to call in penalties.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DSteelerCT

Nov 15, 2011
    Agree, but to each his own. Some people are conservative, some are liberal. Some see the glass half empty, others half full, etc.

Someone said to me the other day that social media is ruining the country. I said no, it's just a platform where you get to see what people are really like. I said, when you're on the highway, people piss you off. Either they drive too slow, too fast, on your ass, weaving through traffic, etc. You get pissed and hate 1/2 of them. Well, guess what, social media/message boards are our new highway. You see the best and worst from people.

Either get off the highway and your computer, or realize what it is and deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

You can assume whatever you want to assume and I can assume whatever I want to assume.

I don't hate it when people complain. I hate it when ALL people do is constantly complain about the team while claiming to be a fan of the team.

The fact that HeinzMustard hates the Steelers is not an assumption. It's based upon evidence. He constantly puts down the team and can't even say one good thing about the Steelers. Not even one thing. That much anger is caused by something. Whether he was actually abused by a drunk father who was a Steelers fan and made him watch the Steeler's games or not, I don't know for sure, but something happened and he is directing his anger out on the team. What could the Steelers possibly have done to deserve that much hate? It's a game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Glenn nobody really knows what he saying. I don't think he even knows,he's all over the map. I understand the frustration both ways. The problem is he went off on a new member who was just voicing his opinion. There was no need to go at him like that ,that's the biggest issue. He can feel however he chooses but show some tact in your response,that's my biggest gripe. You can't defend his actions whether you share some of his feelings or not. Then on top of it he went into this whole "daddy" and "toys" babble. Very strange...

Are you serious that you get that worked up about people criticizing the team? I understand it may annoy you but c'mon Glenn. I know you've been through a lot worse....

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Ever study physics? Probably not. You might want to look up the Double Slit Experiment then come back and I will explain it to you. Make sure you're sober.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Like I said I’m done with this subject. I put a few people on my ignore list a while back my time here is been much more enjoyable.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Whatever it is you studied to get the way you are.....I'm not going anywhere near it....no thanks. I like my brain the way it is....functional

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.